All member reviews for Ender's Game

Teen, 14 years old Written bymatsuifan13 November 27, 2009

Great book but fairly violent.

This book was one of the greatest I have ever read. I love Orson Scott Card and this is the book that launched my love for his novels
Teen, 17 years old Written byJRoker April 9, 2008

I was intrigued...

As part of many student leadership roles of extra curricular activities, succeeding in school is very important to me. Being a junior at my high school, the novel Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is a required reading but it wasn't the requirement that made me turn the pages. What I favored most about the book was how well organized it was, and how Card made the reader feel as if they were growing alongside Ender throughout all of his trials and tribulations that he was forced to go through. I'm intrigued by how Card manages to keep a consice yet balanced sentence structure as well as maintain the conversational quality. Whilst the need to utilize your imagination is a must, I feel as if Card may have done so on purpose in order to keep the reader captivated. The deeper I got into the novel the more I understood about the vague characterizations of the mysterious speakers at the beginning of each chapter and the important role they played in where Ender's life would go. The unknown speakers of each chapter show how the author exercises dramatic irony and where they might lead Ender at that particular point of the book. Because there are universal meanings within each passage, it's not hard at all to find something symbolic at any point of the novel. Personification isn't used a lot in this writing but rather unfolds a handful of plot twists when you least expect it. This sort of surprise constantly keeps the reader on his feet waiting for the next eye-opener and how they are linked to each other. I find that this book is receptible to a large variety of readers; out of a handful of people, it's rare that I find someone who dislikes it. You don't have to possess an infatuation with science fictions stories to enjoy the adventures of Ender's Game, but rather be open to the inner meanings that are portrayed. This book is easily liked amongst adults simply because of the fact that the children in the book are more like mature young adults, rather then purile adolescents. Although, the younger crowd is drawn to the idea of a toddler being so intellectual and having vast amounts of power over an adult rather than being overpowered by them. Although this is a great book, the maturity of it's views of the world may not be what all parents want their younger children to be reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheOnlyElijah January 15, 2014

A Good Book, but LOTS of Language and Violence

The story line is good, and the ending is great. However- SEX: 5.7/10 -Boys and Girls are walking BUTT NAKED through dorms. Ender is talking with a girl about peeing, talk about "kissing butts" and male gentiles A LOT. -No sexual activity, however. LANGUAGE: 9.0/10 -The word "b--ch" or "son or a b--ch" is used VERY often. -The words "crap" and "s--t" are used a infrequently. Also a few "Ender silently cursed him"s. -No f-words or talk of sex besides peeing is used. VIOLENCE: 9.9/10 -Ender wipes out an entire species all because he was selfish and wanted to go home. -Ender accidentally kills two kids through violence. -Ender is aware of this and is trying not to be a killer, but that failed.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWingWolf July 2, 2013

Why Everyone Should Read Ender's Game

Ender's game is one of the best science fiction books I have ever read that can be enjoyed by both children and adults. This book is taught in many schools to children as young as eleven. Personally, my dad is a huge science fiction fan and gave this book for me to read when I was eight. I loved it, but I can see how some parents would be hesitant to give this book to young children. There is a lot of violence in this book, but Ender really grows as a character and I feel that the overall theme of this book is about compassion and humanity - it is much more philosophical than just an alien vs. human war. The language might also be an issue for some parents. I think Orson Scott Card used some profanities in order to illustrate the culture of the battle-school. The characters are kids trying to be tough soldiers, and it's natural that eventually the kids would develop a unique dialect of sorts. I also admire that Orson Scott Card can write children well. So many authors portray children as either miniature adults or some sort of mentally challenged sub-species of humans. But the characters in Ender's Game, while naturally gifted, are still children, but most importantly, Card depicts them as people. In the end, I think this book is universal - it is something that everyone should read. Even after 30+ years, this book is still amazing, and will undoubtedly be a classic for years to come. It's won the hugo and nebula award for best book, and is a must-read for any science fiction fan. That being said, know your kid before letting them read this book. I think middle-school through high-school are good ages to pick up Ender's Game. But any bright kid who loves reading, and likes books filled with action and adventure would love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOrsonScottCard September 3, 2009

Perfect for ages 12+ but for younger kids...

This book is AMAZING! It has an incredible plot, the characters are great, and the writing allows you to fully understand the character's point of view. Ender's Game is ***** NO QUESTION ABOUT IT! but there ARE some...inappropriate things for kids who aren't in middle school yet. I think that the language is pretty common, but kids shouldn't read it 2 often. The kids in the book have a bit of a nasty sense of humor, so kids who aren't in middle school should NOT read this book yet. Another reason is, some of the content in this book is a bit HARD to understand and comprehend. so kids might not be mature enough to apreciate the plot and characters. This book is great! ages 12+ should DEFINITELY read this! Ender is a role model, and so is Orson Scott Card. REad it!
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2013

Amaing

This is one of the best books I have ever read (and that is saying something). Though it does have lots of violence, sex, and language, it is ok for mature 10 year olds.
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2012

Love the book, not the author.

When I first read Ender's Game, I loved it. It instantly became one of my favorite books. I then wen on to read the second and third book in the saga. These books made me rethink my morales, and changed what I looked for in a good book. Now I have read all of the Shadow books. A parallel series in the Ender Universe. I just bought the newest book Orson Scott Card wrote, and am reading another one of his books right now. I am amazed by the writing and the plots, but not with the author. About fifteen minutes ago I found out that Orson Scott Card is against same-sex marriage. Below I have put some excerpts from an article Mr. Card wrote for the Mormon Times. I am now contemplating whether I should keep reading his books. I did not know Mr. Card's opinion about this topic until today. If I had I probably wouldn't of read his books in the first place. Once again, amazing books, amazing writing, and a very unamazing author. Here is part of his column "THE FIRST AND GREATEST THREAT FROM COURT DECISIONS IN CALIFORNIA AND MASSACHUSETTS, GIVING LEGAL RECOGNITION TO “GAY MARRIAGE,” IS THAT IT MARKS THE END OF DEMOCRACY IN AMERICA.THESE JUDGES ARE MAKING NEW LAW WITHOUT ANY DEMOCRATIC PROCESS; IN FACT, THEIR DECISIONS ARE STRIKING DOWN LAWS ENACTED BY MAJORITY VOTE.ALREADY IN SEVERAL STATES, THERE ARE TEXTBOOKS FOR CHILDREN IN THE EARLIEST GRADES THAT SHOW “GAY MARRIAGES” AS NORMAL. HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE BEFORE SUCH TEXTBOOKS BECOME MANDATORY — AND PARENTS HAVE NO WAY TO OPT OUT OF HAVING THEIR CHILDREN TAUGHT FROM THEM?IT IS SUCH AN OBVIOUS OVERREACH BY JUDGES, FAR BEYOND ANY RATIONAL DEFINITION OF THEIR AUTHORITY, THAT EVEN THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE OUTCOME OF THE DECISIONS SHOULD BE HORRIFIED BY THE MEANS."
Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2010

What's the fuss about again?

Okay, I've seen kids at my school reading this book, but never talking about it. So when it was on my summer reading list, I said why not and read it. Now, I can see why not. It's because it was almost a good book, but not quite. It almost had realistic characters, but due to them being so young that you feel more irritated and jelous than empathetic. It almost had suspense, but the parts that were supposed to suspensful had you fooled so that you aren't suspenseful at all. It almost had a good premise, but it ended up being "Okay, the world apparentaly has absolutely no good experienced generals, so lets make 10-year-olds command fleets". You never get a real sense of characters besides the Wiggins, but they're so smart I didn't care. The setting changed a bit too much for my taste, enough so it seemed a bit episodic. And the ending...it may set up a sequal nicely, but it was way to crazy for even a story as unrealistic this one and left me annoyed because it said the same values of tolerence and forgiveness that almost every other book I've ever read has. Overall, this book felt like a passable waste of time. Also, do children have no modesty? Why are they naked so much?
Teen, 13 years old Written byarmageddon135 April 9, 2008

Kid, 10 years old May 24, 2014

GOOD BOOK, INAPROPERATE.

great book, but VERY inaproprate, this is a good book but there must be 100 swears in it. this book belongs in the ritricted to all section.
Kid, 9 years old March 23, 2014

9 years old

It is good how ever there is a lot of violence and swearing even at the begging .
Teen, 13 years old Written bylenicemaymayman March 21, 2014

Best book ever.

You. Book. Read. NOW.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCeci Joe January 28, 2014

Mmmm…. Not Feeling It….At All

I absolutely hate this book. I rarely despise books this much, having them be one of my favorite objects in the world. Anyway, this book was most unlikable. It was terribly written, and had major themes of sadism. Killing was the only thing described remotely well. The internal struggle of the characters was very nicely done, but did not make up for the other major flaws of this book. The only reason why I can see this book is so widely known and popular is for its plot and characters. Nothing else in this book is worthy of its fame. Also, as a side not to those reading especially parents; this book has an outrageously large amount of cursing. Please take my advice and just do yourself the favor of avoiding this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDestkop November 1, 2013

I <3 IT!!!

I read this book last year, and I absolutely LOVED this book!!! it was suggested to me by my librarian, and i couldn't get enough of it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byabbyroserox January 14, 2013

Ender's Game Book Review

I think that this book is a little hard to follow. I'm 13 and I am reading Ender's Game in school right now. It has frequent swearing which is ok.. just the basic words. There is a lot of violence in this book, war, kids beating up other kids, and a lot of fight scenes. The age range is 13+, there is some hard vocabulary words and the book can be confusing in parts.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJulieFW27 May 14, 2011

I love this book.

I thought it was going to be too spacey for me, but I couldn't put it down! I like how it had two plots in one. I recommend Ender's Game to any tweens, teens and adults out there!
Teen, 13 years old Written byspacechick22 August 1, 2010

Better for older tweens and young teens.

I read this book when I was ten and as I was reading I kept wanting to stop because it was freaking me out! Now that I'm thirteen its fine, but for a ten or eleven year its just to much. Better for older tweens and young teens. Loved the book though I'm a big fan of science fiction so I really enjoyed it. I do think its more of a boy oriented book though (I'm a girl) :) Great overall.
Kid, 9 years old February 12, 2010

Ender's Game was one of the best books ever. I read it in second grade, so it is fairly easy. But some of the content is very mature. Two boys fight to the death naked, and lots of nudity, but no sex. There is bloody violence, language, (espesially in the beginnning) including a lot of A words. (yes, the extended version too) I think there were one or two F words. Ender's Game is a must read for 13 up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarchive360 November 17, 2009

weee ha ha

no! no! no! No!
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc February 2, 2009

stunning

This book stuns. It really does. And you can read it over and over. It evolved from the idea of the battle room to a short story to a novel that was really only a prelude for the book Card really wanted to write- the next in the series, Speaker for the Dead. But this book is great, really great, and should be read by everyone as soon as they are old enough to appreciate it. It's brilliant.