Historical fiction at its best in story of '30s farmworkers.

Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2013

amazing book

amazing. just amazing
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2013

Esperanza Rising Review

Esperanza Rising is a very good book. It tells about how a girl named Esperanza has to leave her house and travel to a place called Arvin,CA. She has to work hard to get food and pay for her mom who gets a very bad sickness. She meets new people. Very bad things happen to her and her family and friends. Esperanza learns how to do new things and gets very good at them. Esperanza is very brave. She pushes through all her hard times. If there is one thing I could change about the book it would be the names of the chapters. They are all named after fruits and vegetables. I think this book is very good because it tells about what happens to Esperanza and that she learns what it is like to work all day long. He who falls today may rise tomorrow.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySenoraSammy August 18, 2013

Magnificent

This amazing book paints beautiful pictures in my mind and I can't stop reading it. Each time I do, it gives me a whole new positive perspective on life and makes me feel really cheery. The story of a girl who goes from riches to rags. The most inspiring book I have ever read.
Kid, 10 years old May 27, 2013

Esperanza Rising, a great thought-provoking book that kids will enjoy.

This was a great book! I think it's fine for 9 and up because the plot is a little hard to follow at times. There's nothing really iffy, except bandits killed her Poppa and Esperanza was extremely upset. This is a great book, which will lead you through lots of suspense, and they are powerful and positive role models. The moral of the story is that not everything comes easily in life, you have to push past your struggles and work toward your goals. That's the lesson I picked up from the story. Overall, this is a very inspiring book and I think that kids will really enjoy this well written book.
Adult Written byMatthewS 2 August 6, 2015

Worst, did not make any sense

Really bad, the locations in the book did not make sense
Parent of a 11 year old Written bydenise48 June 10, 2016

Great read!

This book gives you an insight of the struggles that people from other countries have when they come to America. It makes you appreciate what you have.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh July 12, 2015

mexican culture

this book is a great way to learn Spanish and is very educatiol. I quite enjoyed this book
Kid, 10 years old February 24, 2014

esperanza rising

I think i that it is a good book and is very appropriate for children 10 and up be cause maybe othe ages might not understand it.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2015

A Beaut!

This book is magnificent. It's about Esperanza, a terribly spoiled daughter of a man in Mexico owning hundreds of acres of land (complete with slaves and a mansion). But when her father is killed, Esperanza, her mother and 3 servants flee to California, where they work at a camp. But when Esperanza' s mother is sick, Esperanza works very hard to save her. It's an amazing book, with great characters and messages.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK August 4, 2013

Love it!

This is an amazing book. I read it at 14 and loved it. Really inspiring and heartwarming yet educational.
Adult Written byhybridauth_user390 March 31, 2016

Esperanza Rising

This book is about a family living in mexico. Esperanza dad is struggling against bandits about burning the ranch house. This book is really good is has an educational value because it teaches you about stuff that they go against to be able to win. It has a great message by the migrants trying to defend their position. They never broke characters so they have a great role model. It has violence in it because they kill someone in some part of the book. This book gets 4 stars for its great explaining.
Kid, 12 years old March 4, 2016

Esperanza Rising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 12yrs old and, I definitely recommend this book although the storyline can be hard to follow. It taught me to appreciate the things I have, even when life seems perfect. Young 13 yr old Esperanza is an extremely self- indulgent youth who is rich and proud. When her life turns upside down in just a few measly months, difficulties beyond measure drag everyone down, but she bravely pushes through every time. I even felt a relationship and understood this troubled teen because Pam Munoz Ryan, the author, developed Esperanza characteristics VERY well. Because of the small signs of romance, violence, and the reading level I recommend this book for 10+. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoehmi December 1, 2016

Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising is very interesting book. When Esperanza was a young girl she had money. But her fathers land was set on fire. So they had no other choice than to go to America to work. So they went to cross the border. But her dad didn't make it so he had to stay in Mexico. When Esperanza and her mother crossed the border she didn't see her father. So they arrived at the camp that they were supposed to stay at she seen her cousin. But her cousins friends always spoke English so Esperanza didn't know what they were talking about. When Esperanza's cousin friends showed them the camp she was rude to her. She didn't know why. They were the camp all the way in the back. The camp that they were in is the Mexican camp. The next day came by and Esperanza mother woke her up really early. That was the day they were going to work. But Esperanza didn't like. Then her mother went to the hospital so that let Esperanza paying the bills. But her cousin left them with all the money that Esperanza needed to pay the bills with. Then Esperanza mother died in the hospital. This is a very good book because Esperanza is a young girl that could do anything. I recommend this book because I really like how this book is a great role model.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFoxyRoxyGirl November 17, 2016

Beautiful!

This book is a new favorite of mine. The author outdid herself on this beautiful story of a girl going through mountains and valleys. The good times and the bad and learning to be her own person. You can feel all the charachter's warmth and personalities as they go through this brilliantly done novel together. You are immediately drawn into the story. It is hard to put it down. You feel the character's emotions. I cried tears of joy and sadness in this book. There is nothing bad about it either. There is no sex, swearing, and very little violence. The only thing you might worry about a little is the a character being killed by bandits and a house being burned by a cruel character. There is no gore though and it is not too scary. I would recommend this to anyone 9 and up. It is even a great read for adults. It really is a must read, especially if you are a young teen. I loved it and I would be surprised if you do not too.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAngcruz1 August 26, 2016

I Could Read It Over & Over Again

Esperanza Rising Is A Good Book That Every Young Girl That Is Transitioning Into Being A Young Adult Should Definitely Read. I Can Identify Myself Very Well With Esperanza Because The Writer Writes In Such A Genuine Way That Its Almost As If I Can Relive Everything The Young Girl Is Going Through. I Will Definitely Recommend This Book At Any Time
Teen, 13 years old Written bysydsyds August 24, 2016

I LOVE this book!

I think this book is just great. A user posted on the reviews that he does not understand it, and he`s 15. He gave a one star rate!!? I don`t think people should hate this book, this book is beautifully written, and an intense amazing book. I rated this book five stars because it is so good. I would recommend this book, and it is great to read for grades 5th and up.!
Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2016

Nadia J's Book Review

Esperanza is a teenager that lives in Mexico in the year 1930. She believed that she would live in Aguascalientes, Mexico, at El Rancho de las Rosas. Then one day a tragedy hit her and her family. In order to escape that tragedy they had to leave her rancho and move to California with her mother. Along the way she has very tough struggles like hard labor and depression. The central conflict from this book would be that Esperanza struggles against her own emotions on weather to leave with her mother and live in a different country or to staying to live with her uncle and accept that he would have to marry her mother. A central theme for this book would be that you shouldn't be afraid to start all over again. In weather starting completely over on a new life and, possibly on either doing homework as well as projects. I thought that that this book was areally great learning experience and knowing the harsh lives that mexicans live now. I would recommend this book to the ages of 10 and older because there is nothing that would considered inappropriate for their reading level. There are some positive messages that will have them inspired. There also some true role models that you can look up to.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAracely4707 March 31, 2016

Really good book

Esperanza Rising is a very nice book about a girl who lives in Mexico and shortly after a birthday party she thinks will be unforgettable turns out to have tragic events that change her life shortly after. This book is very encouraging to younger kids because it mainly shows that even when their are tough situations we have to go through their is always going to be good by the end of the day when you have close ones by you. Esperanza defenitaly learns new things and skills.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylexyschultz711 March 31, 2016

best book !!!

Esperanza rising is a very interesting and powerful book. It has different emotions to it. In the city of Mexico Esperanza goes throw tuff times with her family as well her life. She over comes obstacles with her family and friends, which there always beside. There are strict choices her and mom had to make. I recommend this young kids because they teach them not every thing is about money.