All member reviews for Every Day

Teen, 13 years old Written bygirlwithadaisy October 10, 2012

I could read this every single day!

I read this book in a day and absolutely loved it. I am 13 years old and I think that anyone 13 and up could read this book as long as they are mature enough to handle some of the tougher things in modern teenagers lives ie drugs, drinking, etc. However the main character, A, is a positive role model and respectful of the bodies he inhabits and the people he meets throughout the novel. If anybody is put off by reading about sex, violence, or drugs, I would tell them not to let it get in the way because these themes are very minimal in the book and overall it is an AMAZING read about love and life and moving on from challenges. David Levithan's writing is extremely gripping and beautiful, and I am so in love with this book that I could read it again, and again, every day.
Teen, 13 years old Written byminimoviecritic January 22, 2013

fav book ever!!!

Great book! There is some romance, but not too heavy. It has some really heavy concepts and plot points, however, such as the idea that "A" can never stay in the same body, same life, for more than one day, and then has to move on. This means he/she can never have anything solid to hold on to, even a gender. All of these are very compelling to think about, but can take some strength to really consider. Loved it and I highly recommend it!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLivage June 25, 2013

Okay For Mature Teens

I thought this book was really amazing, starting with the whole concept of only being able to stay in one body for a day, which I find really intriguing to think about. I wouldn't say that the book is educational, necessarily, but both A and Rhiannon are good role models. A is respectful of the lives of the people he inhabits, he/she tries not to disrupt their relationships too much, he/she resists from doing things that the body wants to do (such as drugs). In one situation where he/she is a girl who is suicidal, he/she tells her father that he needs to get her help immediately, even if she says she doesn't want it the next day. Rhiannon is always supportive of A, and she is surprisingly understanding and accepting of his/her situation. She puts practicality before her own desire to be with A in the interest of protecting the lives of the people A inhabits (for example when A gets them in trouble with strict parents for leaving/skipping school to go and be with her). The book also conveys positive messages, like when A gets help for the suicidal girl, when he resists doing drugs, when he doesn't have sex with Rhiannon because it isn't his body and it's not really right. That being said, sex is somewhat of a concern because the book does describe A and Rhiannon kissing and it talks about how A is letting Rhiannon take the lead so it only goes as far as she wants it to, but it describes how she undresses them. She also tells A about having met a stranger at the door in nothing but her undergarments, because she thought it would be A at the door. At a party that A goes to in the form of a boy named Nathan, there is a lot of drinking, and A wakes up in the body of a girl who not only is hungover from getting drunk last night, but whose brother died in a car accident because he was in the passenger seat when she was drunk driving. A wakes up in the body of someone whose immediate reaction to waking up is that they need drugs immediately, but he doesn't take anything all day. When Rhiannon tells Justin that she has to take her mom to the doctor, he tells her to bring him back some of her pills. A wakes up in the body of a girl whose brother smokes while he drives her to school. Also, on a side note, I think the book has a kind of sad ending, even though I also think that A did the right thing, I was hoping for it to end differently. All in all, I'm a 14 year old and I think that it's okay for mature teenagers who recognize that all the lifestyles that A's many bodies choose for themselves are not acceptable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 19, 2014

Interesting, but seemingly random.

I really enjoyed this book, but the plotline is sort of here-and-there, not very easy to follow, and sort of unplanned. I liked A, but not the girl he was so in love with. There is some kissing, but it's not really overwhelming and should be good if your kid reads books with that sort of thing. It's not the best book, but not the worst either.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLibbylesure May 4, 2014

Every Day

I read the book thanks to a friend, and I found myself liking it even though I wasn't expecting to.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer321 February 16, 2014

Every Day

This is a fantastic book with excellent writing techniques. The author did amazing and wrote a story that is unique and interesting. A great book! Some swearing, but not that much.