All member reviews for Fire

Stellar fantasy heroine in mature action-adventure/romance.

Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Almighty Bo... January 13, 2011

Loved it at 12. Love it at 15.

Look, I'm 13, I read it and, honestly, it's fine. The thing about it is, you can't approach from the "perfectly-educational-scholastic" stand point, you have to see the beauty of it. Sure, the protagonist, Fire, is hurt and dependent a lot, but she's also strong and determined. Plus, she's easy to relate to because she's spent a life of solitude; she's lost like most teens. Sure, the characters are intimate, but one: it's medieval times (what do you expect) and, two: it's not too descriptive and it just makes the story seem more realistic. Honestly parents, relax.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byredheadheroines May 12, 2011

Great for older teens!

I absolutely LOVED Fire by Kristin Cashore. This book has it all, action, adventure, fantasy, romance, mystery. However, there are several things that parents should be aware of. In the book, the heroine, Fire, has casual sexual relations with one of the other characters. There are several mentions of rape and molestation, not graphic, but frequent enough to be mentioned. There is senseless violence towards animals and humans in the novel as well. However, on all counts, I would give the severity of each count a 6-7 rating out of 10. Not too much, but enough to be noticed. I hope that helps!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybooklover369 April 26, 2011

Perfect for All Ages

I loved this book! I recommended it to all of my friends, and they all loved it as well. It does include some sexual content and violence, but people seem to be mistaken about what young kids read nowadays. They are exposed to this stuff very early, earlier than most people seem to think. I read it when I was 10, and was not surprised at all by what was in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoglovermegan12 December 6, 2009

Best Book Ever

I loved this book so much I read it in three days and still couldn`t put it down!!!! It does mention sex. rape, and unexpected pregnancies. It also does have one bad word in it that pops up a few times.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildAnatolian July 15, 2013

Fire

This book is really good but very complicated and quite hash in all aspects, particularly violence. I'm not a squeamish person, but there were some scenes that made me go ew
Teen, 13 years old Written byOlivia1999 November 24, 2012

The Last of Her Kind

Fire is a mid-teenage girl living with a special ability – to sense minds and to understand emotion, truth, and action. She can also control people. She is what her people call a monster: an animal of any species with a colorful body. These animals are vicious and can not only sense and read minds but will also try to hurt and kill other monsters. Fire is the last human monster. Her father named Cansrel, a monster as well, was the King’s advisor. He used his ability to control the King’s thoughts and, in turn, turned the kingdom into chaos. Though he is dead, Cansrel often hunts Fire’s dreams and frightens her. Fire lives in a rural castle with her overprotective and flirty romantic interest, a young lord named Archer. One day while she is out in the woods, Fire gets shot by a foggy-minded archer. While not killed, Fire’s arm is injured. The archer is killed before he can tell who he works for. After a few more “incidents” all involving minds that were tangled and not quite there, Fire goes to the King’s City to discover whether the strange assaults were the fault of two lords each trying to take over the throne. The two lords, Gentian and Mydogg by name, have been each planning an attack on the King to overthrow him. Thanks to Fire’s special ability she will be able to get information out of people and tell whether they are lying. While in the King’s City, Fire meets Brigan, the Prince and Commander of the King’s Army. At first he is distrustful of her, but then he learns be friends with her – and maybe even a little bit more. Fire creates an elaborate plan with the closest and most-trustworthy companions at the castle to get information out of the two lords to reveal their battle plans. At the January gala, fire tricks Gentian to revel his and Mydogg’s secrets for the war that will soon happen. The war is now in the King’s favor after the opposing army’s plans are discovered. But the war is the least of Fire’s problems. Far away, an unseen force is the one attempting to control Fire and the Kingdom itself. They are smarter, wiser, more cunning, and deadlier than any rebel is. Will Fire be able to stop them and save the kingdom, or will they get the best of her? Find out in this epic companion to Graceling. I really enjoyed this book. The writer has a very beautiful style and will entrance you with her words and smooth sentence structure. Again, the characters were likable and understandable, same as in Graceling. In places where there was action, it was described very well. Unfortunately, this book was good but not great. While the writer had good voice, sentences, and even better characters, the plot was overall, only mediocre. The plot often stopped in some places and gave unnecessary detail that did not fit with the book. Other times, it became so confusing I could not tell what was going on. It was as if the writer expected me to get something without an explanation. There were parts like that where you could just move on, but some ended up making the end more confusing. But the most annoying part was the fact that the prequel did not even sum up the book it was taking place before. I expected to know more about Graceling and to have a deeper understanding of it. In the end I hardly knew much more about the characters in the previous book and it did not enhance my understanding of it, which was the reason why I read it. For a prequel, I had high expectations that this book did not meet. However, if you have already read Graceling, don’t hesitate to give this book a try. I liked it!
Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2012

Amazing book I Would Recommend to Anyone

This book is amazing, usually I don't like books that are written in the third person because they don't seem to capture the emotions of the characters well but this book completely erased all of those sort of opinions I harbored. I also am very picky about fantasy books because it's all too easy for them to be superficial. It does have mentions of unexpected pregnancies and there is some violence but you'd be hard pressed to find a book as amazing as this one, with such strong messages and inspirational characters in a book that didn't have any content that could be considered inappropriate for kids. That said, it can be enjoyed by all ages, teenagers, kids, adults, it can appeal to many different people. I LOVED this book and completely recommend it to anyone who loves a good fantasy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybooklover36 April 26, 2011

Perfect For Anyone

Everyone in my family has read this book, and loved it. It depicts some sexual content and violence, but it is nothing my children haven't run into before. It has many great examples of loyalty, love, and passion. It's characters are hard-working, and caring. I strongly suggest it for anyone ranging from ages 11 to 100!
Teen, 14 years old Written byimaswimer21 January 18, 2011

Love. Confusing for under 12 but great story for older girls.

Very good!! Can't wait for the third book in the Seven Kingdoms Trilogy. You can feel for the characters and empathize with their fears and sadness. Even though sexual references are very vague and younger kids may not understand them i would not reccommend for under 12 year olds. Fire although she has what every girl wishes, beauty men nor women cannot resist, finds herself a monster. She has strong powers where she can read minds and make them do what she wishes but she never uses them against people except in extreme cases or to protect herself from attacks. But, strong people can guard their minds from her, one of these people is Prince Brigan who never lets his guard down. For some reason he doesn't trust Fire when they first meet and Fire has to slowly get him to trust her and creates a very unique relationship with him. Fire also has a unique relationship with her close friend/lover Archer who has helped Fire get over the death of her father and been her confidant of deep secrets. Through the story we see messages of love, strength, bravery, fear, revenge, jealousy, rivalry, brotherhood, and sadness. It is well written and beautifully written.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheHungerGames7 January 1, 2011

A great read!

Couldn't stop reading it! It was a great read, and there wasn't much sexuality or violence as the book before this, Graceling. I read this at age 12 and enjoyed it. I'd say for me it was a great read, but I'd say most parents would want to wait until their kid is at least 13 to read this. I was mature at 12, and able to handle the violence and force myself to skip any sexual parts. Overall, this book was great and Kristen captured the moods and thoughts of the characters quite wonderfully!
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2011

Best book...

The best book I've read in ages. A perfect combination of romance and adventure with a bit of humor. Couldn't stop reading. It ended too quickly ;)
Teen, 13 years old Written byteetee12 December 8, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byAndaconda November 26, 2010

i love this book
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2010

luv it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one of my fave books! canty wait for the sequel!!
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2010

fabulous. good for most ages.

amazing. truly.
Adult Written byT4 Mom May 15, 2015

Engaging, but look for hidden messages on sex and violence.

This is the first book in a series, it's quite engaging, and if you child likes it, they will want to read all three. However, you'll want to read it, too, as there is quite a bit that you'll want to talk to you child about. The series contains a lot of violence--from fighting, wars, and torture (of animals, and in later books, of people). This is handled mostly pretty well, but it bears pointing out (spoiler alert) that the protagonist is a hired thug to rough-up or kill others (although she has a conscience about it). There are mentions of rapes, visions of torture and murder, etc. in the series (particularly the last one, "Bitterblue")--all in all, pretty grim. The part that bothered me in general is that in all the books in the trilogy, there is the general message that sex is a casual thing between friends (particularly prevalent in "Graceling", the second book, where two characters get together just to "hook-up"). One can admire that there are many references to taking an herb to avoid pregnancy (some notion of "safe sex"), but as this is in a fantasy land, there are apparently no sexually-transmitted diseases, so no concern over that. In general, the not-so-subtle take-home message from the books in the series is that sex feels good and is fine between friends so long as you do something not to get pregnant, which isn't something I'd want my kids reading without talking to them about it. Unlike some reviewers, I don't subscribe to the notion that just because kids today are barraged with sex and violence in the media, that it's appropriate for them. I would not recommend this series to those under 13. (If they were made into movies, they would definitely get at least a PG-13, based on violence and sex.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 January 3, 2013

My excitement after Graceling was quickly quelled.

Graceling far surpassed my expectations, which had me eager to read Fire. And with about 60 pages left, Fire had begun to lose my interest. That being said, Fire had many great qualities, but some flaws made it an arduous read: First, the constant, and when I say constant, I mean incessant, talk of a woman's "bleedings". Every chapter, Fire has cramps, aches, and headaches. Making her sound as if she suffers like no other woman can doesn't make her sound stronger, but whinier. Characters are hard to grow fond of with their incessant sleeping around. Fire's best friend has slept with nearly every woman in the country, from princesses to servant girls to the last remaining human monster. Fire has had a few love affairs, not all of them being men. A different world within a series can be nice, but completely abandoning (aside from one character) the original world is a bit of a tailspin going down for fans ready to hear more tales of a Graceling female protagonist and her adventures. These traits don't ruin Fire completely, but doesn't help it surpass it's predecessor. I had those five chapters left to go, and decided to push myself to read the end, and my opinion of the book didn't grow any fonder after finishing it. I was disappointed with the companion to a great book, and I probably won't tune in for Bitterblue.
Teen, 15 years old Written byloppyiest December 24, 2012

Review 1

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

fire

Families can talk about fantasy violence versus realistic violence. How do they impact you differently? Why do you think that is? This book is marketed as Young Adult, but it will attract adult readers as well. Why do you think the publisher decided to market it to teens? What separates Young Adult from children's or adult literature? And, just for fun: Fire can control minds, a common ability in fantasy and science fiction. What other supernatural powers are common in these types of works? What ability would you most like to have?
Teen, 14 years old Written byspeedreader77 July 6, 2012

It wasn't a quality book, the main characters were immature and rude, and the content could be inappropriate at times.