All member reviews for Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich

Poems, stellar art show funny side of monsters.

Kid, 9 years old September 23, 2012

gfsgj

I made a sandwhich
Parent Written bydoodle noodle April 7, 2010

It really depends on your kid, and your parenting style

We love this book. My daughters (6 and 4) got this book 2 years ago and have requested it often at story time. Not only are the vocabulary and rhyme schemes slightly more challenging than you might see in most kids fare, but it provides an opportunity to look at monsters in a humourous light--Frankenstein isn't scary, he's hungry for a sandwich! Drac Jr. is only afraid of the dentist when he discovers she is not a monster, but actually a rather chipper human! Rex's characters (despite some of the creepier images) are very human, and allowed us to diminish our fear of nighttime bugaboos by evaluating what makes us afraid. I found this book WAAAY less disturbing than, say, the opening scene in Finding Nemo (remember, when Mommy and her 399 eggs get EATEN? Disney is playing on children's innate fear of losing their parents for dramatic effect, Rex is using classic monster images for comic effect).
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 18, 2009

really boring

r librarian read this to us in library and it was soooooo boring!!!!! but even though it was boring i have to say the ilistration were really good. but it's IFFY for 4 cuz it has monsters in it.