All member reviews for Frankenstein

Teen, 15 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx February 12, 2012

Distracting circumlocutory language

We had to read this book for my Pre-AP English 10 class. The books that we read before (Fahrenheit 451, 1984) I had really enjoyed, so I was going into this book with more than an open mind, especially after hearing all the praise from my relatives who were saying I was going to be glad I read this book. So I was a little bit disappointed with how dull it was. True, Shelley brings up interesting points about humanity and was the first to really bring about the "science fiction" novel, and can be looked through many other "literary lenses", if you will. (I'm about to argue in my essay why Frankenstein, and not Frankenstein's monster, is the villain.) However, while I do understand an author is supposed to show and not tell, I don't think it takes ten pages to describe something that happens in five minutes, which happens a lot here. Yes, there are many interesting discussions one can have based off this book (our class probably enjoyed talking about the book for an hour and a half more than actually reading it), but the writing itself is, while original and even risky for its time, nothing compared to writers inspired after her.
Kid, 9 years old October 26, 2011