All member reviews for Freak the Mighty

Outcasts join forces to conquer readers' hearts.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byReverendDad October 4, 2010

4-year old witnesses dad strangle mom, then dad attacks him later... Hey kids, bedtime story???

Who are the parents who think it's "good" for their child to be exposed to a father who murdered his wife in cold blood by strangling her to death in front of their 4-year old son? The son recounts the events of that horrible night shortly after a woman frees him from the chair where his father has bound him hand and foot and gagged him, only to have the father return unexpectedly and begin strangling yet another woman, graphically choking the life out of her. Once the boy, our main character, reveals that he witnessed his father murder his mother, good ol' dad begins to strangle HIM, too, and the children who are the target audience get to read from a young man's perspective what it's like to be strangled nearly to death. Unbelievably raw portrayals of blind rage and a murderous father who willingly kills first the mom and then attempts to strangle the son. Who thought this was a good idea for children???
Parent Written byBelieveInBooks October 14, 2013

Freak the Mighty Too Coarse, Violent and Graphic for Young Readers

I believe that the graphic imagery of Killer Kane keeping his son tied up and the son witnessing him trying to kill Loretta by strangling her, as he, (Kane), had also done to the mother, is an image too difficult for students younger than high school to process. The image of Max pleading with his daddy to get off of Loretta while reliving the same manner of murder of his mother at the hands of his father, is one that I even as an adult kept playing over and over in my head like a movie, trying to rationalize it, as one would after witnessing a horrific event in person. However, you can't rationalize violence. While I am not a book banner in any way, I do think that some topics are fine presented in one fashion, but may not be acceptable when presented in another fashion, for certain age groups. We have struggled for years with the balance of a child needing a high reading level but the concepts in those books being above his maturity level. Frankly, some books have themes and content with which I don't think even we adults should clutter our brains. There are other wonderful books out there that deal with these same themes in a less troubling manner. We are a family with one child with a disability and so I understand partly why the author tried to present some of these related ideas, but I think the coarseness of life throughout and violence overshadows any positive message that might otherwise be gleaned by the reader. Most readers imagine themselves as the main character of a book, while reading it. Children reading Freak the Mighty, will imagine themselves in the position of Max, seeing their fathers kill their own mothers and another woman by strangulation, among other in appropriate content of this book. From now on, I am reading my child's assigned school books from cover to cover.
Adult Written bytheatreteach September 12, 2009

I absolutely loved this story. It has great messages for readers of all ages. It deals with a lot of issues, such as friendship, myth and reality, death, and disabilities.
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovedonaldduckck93 October 13, 2010

...This was ridiculous... my 10 year old brother brought it home for his class book review... so i was helping him read it since he has Mental issues... so i was reading it and after the first few pages i stopped... The constant talking about how violent he is... Also I believe they use the word cripple van... That is just rude and degrading... my mother actually called the principle to complain.. this is an AWFUL book... ESPECIALLY when there are alot of young boys looking up to "Kicker:"
Adult Written byAngel5768 April 9, 2008

I fell asleep it was so boring

This book is so boring i fell asleep while reading it! It actually starts to get olay at the very end of the book though. Very sad and even a sad ending!
Parent Written bycnewhard March 27, 2012

A Mighty Message

I love this book and I have read it with or to my students in 3rd through 6th grade. They loved the book and really related to the characters.
Teen, 15 years old Written byredbart November 30, 2011

only an okay book

It is a good book for kids from 6th to 7th grade. At the end it is almost a little disappointing and sad. After you read this, you wonder, what happens in the next book. Also, I disliked the movie, so read the book first.
Teen, 13 years old Written byschoolkid101 November 9, 2011

gr8

This book is a really touching book about 2 special boys. For all of you people saying it's too violent for little kids. Why are you reading it to little kids?? Of course, it's too violent for 5 yr olds! Anyway if you are complaining it's too violent for 9 yr olds, then why do all the teachers read it to the kids? I am 13 i read this book last year for middle school battle of the books. Honestly this book was REALLY REALLY sad!! Although out of all the 27 books that we had to read this book was my absolute favorite. The saddest part was someone died of a disease. Just incase you deside to read it I wont put a whole lot of what its about..
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2011

I can't believe I'm doing this but...

I love this book and there's no swearing beside "oh my god"!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjlowe1998 November 10, 2010

i love it it is a great book of kids
Adult Written byjohnsmith78 April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2012

Great But Violent

I read this book for a book group. There is a lot of violence such as getting chased by someone with a knife, a husband strangling his wife and almost his son. This is a amazing book. I would recommend it to most kids who like adventure.
Kid, 10 years old February 4, 2012

A 7th Grader Review on "Freak the Mighty"!

I could never find a book I liked. I hated reading I thought it was pointless...until I read Freak the Mighty. Freak the Mighty is the BEST book I truly have read in my entire life. You may be saying, huh, maybe I should check this book out, and I am saying, yeah, you should. I am in the seventh grade and this is a phenomenal book. Rodman Philbrick, you have out outdone yourself this time, like always. Getting this kid to read. ;-)
Teen, 13 years old Written bykadee November 29, 2011

freak the mighty the book cover

i think u were great in the book maxwell... i really think that u were great for ever did u know the book is pretty good.
Adult Written byHeyArnold84 November 12, 2011

Violent and sad, but good storyline and interesting characters.

This book is pretty good, but NOT for young kids. Max's father nearly strangles Max to death, the same way he murdered Max's mother. The descriptions of these acts are slighty graphic and a tad gory, but if your kids are mature they should be able to handle it. Also, there is a very, very sad death of a main character, who has known he was going to die since he was 7.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycacAGO November 9, 2011

FREAK THE MIGHTY

Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2011

BEST BOOK EVER really touching

This book is really good in school im watching the movie freak is just so cute the way he so smart and stuff the end has to one of the most saddest parts in the book i was going to cry after i read this THIS WAS BASED ON A TRUE STORY
Teen, 13 years old Written byScottygirl1 May 16, 2011

Freak the mighty rating for others to know about this book is great!

Teen, 16 years old Written byMaKayla1245 October 17, 2010

Best for more mature kids, Kids who wouldn;t attempt stuff they hear or see.

Adult Written bydylandog July 8, 2010

Freak & Max Are The Mighty

I loved this book. It was funny & sad and it was kind of a Mystery Drama type of book. The book is manily about Freak & Max's lifes. FREAK THE MIGHTY.