Outcasts join forces to conquer readers' hearts.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byReverendDad October 4, 2010

4-year old witnesses dad strangle mom, then dad attacks him later... Hey kids, bedtime story???

Who are the parents who think it's "good" for their child to be exposed to a father who murdered his wife in cold blood by strangling her to death in front of their 4-year old son? The son recounts the events of that horrible night shortly after a woman frees him from the chair where his father has bound him hand and foot and gagged him, only to have the father return unexpectedly and begin strangling yet another woman, graphically choking the life out of her. Once the boy, our main character, reveals that he witnessed his father murder his mother, good ol' dad begins to strangle HIM, too, and the children who are the target audience get to read from a young man's perspective what it's like to be strangled nearly to death. Unbelievably raw portrayals of blind rage and a murderous father who willingly kills first the mom and then attempts to strangle the son. Who thought this was a good idea for children???
Parent Written byBelieveInBooks October 14, 2013

Freak the Mighty Too Coarse, Violent and Graphic for Young Readers

I believe that the graphic imagery of Killer Kane keeping his son tied up and the son witnessing him trying to kill Loretta by strangling her, as he, (Kane), had also done to the mother, is an image too difficult for students younger than high school to process. The image of Max pleading with his daddy to get off of Loretta while reliving the same manner of murder of his mother at the hands of his father, is one that I even as an adult kept playing over and over in my head like a movie, trying to rationalize it, as one would after witnessing a horrific event in person. However, you can't rationalize violence. While I am not a book banner in any way, I do think that some topics are fine presented in one fashion, but may not be acceptable when presented in another fashion, for certain age groups. We have struggled for years with the balance of a child needing a high reading level but the concepts in those books being above his maturity level. Frankly, some books have themes and content with which I don't think even we adults should clutter our brains. There are other wonderful books out there that deal with these same themes in a less troubling manner. We are a family with one child with a disability and so I understand partly why the author tried to present some of these related ideas, but I think the coarseness of life throughout and violence overshadows any positive message that might otherwise be gleaned by the reader. Most readers imagine themselves as the main character of a book, while reading it. Children reading Freak the Mighty, will imagine themselves in the position of Max, seeing their fathers kill their own mothers and another woman by strangulation, among other in appropriate content of this book. From now on, I am reading my child's assigned school books from cover to cover.
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovedonaldduckck93 October 13, 2010
...This was ridiculous... my 10 year old brother brought it home for his class book review... so i was helping him read it since he has Mental issues... so i was reading it and after the first few pages i stopped... The constant talking about how violent he is... Also I believe they use the word cripple van... That is just rude and degrading... my mother actually called the principle to complain.. this is an AWFUL book... ESPECIALLY when there are alot of young boys looking up to "Kicker:"
Adult Written bytheatreteach September 12, 2009
I absolutely loved this story. It has great messages for readers of all ages. It deals with a lot of issues, such as friendship, myth and reality, death, and disabilities.
Parent Written byruthc1 March 10, 2015

This book is not for younger children and whilst they may be able to read the words, the content and language is americanised . I therefore introduces discriminatory language and inapporpriate content for younger children. This book also deals with subjects which require emotional intelligence .

read novels and books which enthuse a child's imagination allowing escape and fantasy - murder, death, drugs ..... they often need to escape from all these issues in everyday life.
Parent Written bycnewhard March 27, 2012

A Mighty Message

I love this book and I have read it with or to my students in 3rd through 6th grade. They loved the book and really related to the characters.
Parent of a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old Written byKaceygurl123 November 18, 2010

Amazing, touching book!

This book is a really touching book about 2 special boys. For all of you people saying it's too violent for little kids. Why are you reading it to little kids?? Of course, it's too violent for 5 yr olds! Anyway if you are complaining it's too violent for 9 yr olds, then why do all the teachers read it to the kids?
Adult Written byjohnsmith78 April 9, 2008
Teen, 17 years old Written byjlowe1998 November 10, 2010
i love it it is a great book of kids
Adult Written byHeyArnold84 November 12, 2011

Violent and sad, but good storyline and interesting characters.

This book is pretty good, but NOT for young kids. Max's father nearly strangles Max to death, the same way he murdered Max's mother. The descriptions of these acts are slighty graphic and a tad gory, but if your kids are mature they should be able to handle it. Also, there is a very, very sad death of a main character, who has known he was going to die since he was 7.
Adult Written byAngel5768 April 9, 2008

I fell asleep it was so boring

This book is so boring i fell asleep while reading it! It actually starts to get olay at the very end of the book though. Very sad and even a sad ending!
Adult Written byJoshua.Yu28 April 9, 2008

Its...ok.

It thought that this book was ok. It wasn't that violent I guess, but it can sorta help kids that are a bit more mature to understand how violent strangers can be, and what to stay away from.
Educator and Parent Written byJoannehar1 November 8, 2015

The Mighty?

I don't think this film is appropriate for children under grade 9. Way too much violence
Adult Written bySpoon girl 23 May 31, 2012

Freak the Mighty

I personally loved this book it touched my heart, but I do think if your rating like a movie it would be PG or PG-13. I would either make sure you as a parent know what type of book they are reading or you read it with them. For all of those young readers out their I would say if you are 10 and under try and stay away from this book.
Teen, 17 years old Written byReanRossier April 21, 2010

Freak The Amazing!

My teacher red this book as a read aloud and it was very good. The story was just wonderful. Even thou the book is really sad. i still enjoyed the smart kid named Freak, and the tall boy named Max. I would say that this book should be for kids 5th grade and up. because I think that the 4th graders will just focus on the bad parts. Not the message and the story. Rodman Philbrick is an excellent author and i would love to read more of his amazing books.
Adult Written bykanda December 2, 2009
great great i am reading it at school and im only 12
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byMuchachabella April 9, 2008
Adult Written byahmadn January 31, 2015

Book review freak the mighty Ahmad 6/White

This is perfect for this age group and gives really interesting and intellectual values and experiences for life.
Adult Written bylex_co_inc April 9, 2008

INSPIRING.

This is the absoulute best book i have evr read in my life. But, i think Rodman could have made it a bit longer. Also, if they made a current movie about it that would be great. I recomment this buuk to everyone of any age.