All member reviews for Freak the Mighty

Outcasts join forces to conquer readers' hearts.

Adult Written bydylandog July 8, 2010

Freak & Max Are The Mighty

I loved this book. It was funny & sad and it was kind of a Mystery Drama type of book. The book is manily about Freak & Max's lifes. FREAK THE MIGHTY.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBreezyy April 22, 2010

Killer Kane, Killer Kane. Had a kid who didn't know he had such a good brain (:

I just finished reading this book in my l.a class. We also watched the movie. I like the book better though because of the added detail. LOVE IT!!!!! (p.s im only 12 so WAT NOW!!!!!)
Teen, 17 years old Written byReanRossier April 21, 2010

Freak The Amazing!

My teacher red this book as a read aloud and it was very good. The story was just wonderful. Even thou the book is really sad. i still enjoyed the smart kid named Freak, and the tall boy named Max. I would say that this book should be for kids 5th grade and up. because I think that the 4th graders will just focus on the bad parts. Not the message and the story. Rodman Philbrick is an excellent author and i would love to read more of his amazing books.
Adult Written bykanda December 2, 2009

great great i am reading it at school and im only 12
Teen, 16 years old Written byElexia Alexander May 27, 2009

"Ilaughed!"

This book is really funny and sad at the same time. I read this book in 4th hour. IT'S REALLY GREAT BOOK AND I WILL RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO YOUNG READERS!!!!!
Adult Written byMonkeuQ117 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byCristian April 9, 2008

sad happy funny no description for this book

there is no way to descrive this book its funny,sad
Teen, 14 years old Written bymattsans April 9, 2008

I thought this book was itiotic.

I thought the book couldn't get any worse but it did. I was doing this for a school thing.
Parent Written byruthc1 March 10, 2015

This book is not for younger children and whilst they may be able to read the words, the content and language is americanised . I therefore introduces discriminatory language and inapporpriate content for younger children. This book also deals with subjects which require emotional intelligence .

read novels and books which enthuse a child's imagination allowing escape and fantasy - murder, death, drugs ..... they often need to escape from all these issues in everyday life.
Adult Written byahmadn January 31, 2015

Book review freak the mighty Ahmad 6/White

This is perfect for this age group and gives really interesting and intellectual values and experiences for life.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2015

Good book!

This is a very educational book for middle schoolers to read. Freak (Kevin) from the story tells many challenging to understand quotes that have really helped me as a reader. Though this was a good book, there are some parts about murdering, choking, and drinking, but as a kid, I think it's ok as long as you are appropriate about it. Overall, this was an amazing book that I love so much that I want to watch the movie!!!
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byPapipower01 November 16, 2014

Great story to inspire sensitivity and courage

Both of my children have read this book in the 5gh grade. My son first and he loved the story and later watched the film. He has cleared his shelves of many books he has read over the years but kept this one and when my daughter had a book report to do this year, he lent it to her. She loved the book and read through it in a couple of sittings. Like my son, she was eager then to see the film. I have seen others' post concerns about the violence, the language use to describe Kevin and Max ("cripple"), etc. By 10, most children have already encountered an awareness that the world is not perfect for everyone in it. Some kids come from places that we can't understand and which impact how they are in the world. This book did a lot to inspire my kids to consider a little about the world that others around them inhabit and to remember kindnesses and cruelties that we can all participate in. Themes of friendship and overcoming feelings of isolation and poor self-image were much more prominent elements that were taken away than fears of killers, abuse, and un-p.c. language. As Loretta says, "Doing nothing's a drag, kid." Do something...sit down and enjoy Max's retelling of his adventures as a Knight of round table. You might follow this up with another novel: Wonder (but that's another review!)
Kid, 1 years old July 11, 2014

PERFECT BOOK

I am in middle school and this book is awesome i cried but i love sad books the inspire me too do new things. Yes this book has violence but not scary like a gun or knife his dad killed his mom but it does not go to much in to that subject and his dad started choking him but it was funny because freak got a squirt gun their is villonce but no cuss words the worst they say is oh my god and if your child is mature enough to know that it is just a book or if their reading it as a class you dont want them to be left it was a great book i hope this helped
Teen, 13 years old Written byDwstar26 December 18, 2013

read this book it is inspirational

i think this book is amazing and it has a lot of good values to teach preteens and early teenagers about friendship kindness imagination and education this is a story that you should definitely read i loved it made me open my eyes to what is going on around me it gave me a new outlook on life and how fragile and short it is anyways long story short PICK UP THIS BOOK AND READ IT and if you read the sequel to it write a review to
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2013

quite a bit of content

the violence actually is quite serious and the word ''retard'' is used
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus December 5, 2012

Not as good as I was Expecting.

I didn't really like this book.
Adult Written bySpoon girl 23 May 31, 2012

Freak the Mighty

I personally loved this book it touched my heart, but I do think if your rating like a movie it would be PG or PG-13. I would either make sure you as a parent know what type of book they are reading or you read it with them. For all of those young readers out their I would say if you are 10 and under try and stay away from this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycatreviews March 16, 2012

Worst book I have ever read

Just don't read it.For your own sake... Consider the fact that one of the characters says that he is sorry for saying hell or something. This book is just written for the sake of - I don't know - Educating 12 year olds to not say hell when they hear #*#*#* #*#* *#***** **** ** ***** ***** 500 times a day.
Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2012

Freak the mighty

it is good in the beginning, but gets sad at the end.
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2012

FREAK THE MIGHTY, FREAK THE MIGHTY, FREAK THE MIGHTY

I think this book is great because it shows how to be a good friend