Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 3 parent reviews

Sort by:

Too Mature for Ages 10-12 - Not Suitable for Elementary School

I am an elementary school Library Tech for students TK-6th grade. My library already has the first two books in this series, Real Friends and Best Friends, so I purchased Friends Forever as well. My school counselor brought some incidents in the book to my attention when a 5th grader asked her what Strip Poker was (page 137). She explained in a round about way that it's a gambling game and proceeded to define strip as stripping paint, for instance. Gotta be creative! This same section includes a boy bringing alcohol and two boys drinking and a boy asking a girl to make out...it's always tricky when it's a graphic novel as pictures are very clear as to what is going on. Don't get me wrong, I don't find this book objectionable for the right age group. The book cover does say "Eighth grade: It's complicated." But the Publisher and Kirkus Reviews both have the recommended age at 10-14. For an elementary school, this is too mature for 10-12 year olds.

Warning - Sexual Approach by an adult

I can't speak to the whole book - we ended up with it through the library, but one of the scenes depicts a mall Santa groping one of the 13-year old girls and telling her "I want you so badly". I was blown away by this, I'm not sure what the correct age audience is, but certainly not elementary. The girl feels ashamed and icky, but doesn't tell anyone (so it's not really a teaching moment or anything).

Middle School Follies Forever

Anyone trying to navigate eighth grade needs all the help they can get. This third installment of Shannon Hale's autobiographical graphic novels provides some help in the way of validating the difficulties in finding comfortable ground when friendship groups, media messaging, and one's own body are in constant change. Hale shares her personal struggles with all off these stresses and something we would probably now identify as clinical anxiety. There is no need for exaggerated dramas which pop up in a lot of contemporary fiction for tweens and teens. Being 15 is hard enough!