Parent reviews for Front Desk

Immigrant kid tackles racism, bullying in powerful tale.

Adult Written byND17 January 13, 2020

Inspirational story based on the author's life

I was deeply moved by this story because it spoke to the challenges that all of us who immigrate deal with. It addresses issues of poverty, racism, discrimination, bullying and more. This is the story I wish I could have read when I was growing up in Canada. It would have really helped to see characters that look like me reflected in the stories I was reading. This was a very healing tale for me. I really recommend this story because it develops a sincere empathy for those who are struggling and is very eye opening for all. Not only are serious issues brought to light in this story; the main character, Mia, finds creative and inspiring ways of dealing with them. I plan to ask my administrator at my school to purchase a guided reading set for my school.

Adult Written byKadieJ. August 24, 2019

A MUST Read!!!

This is an amazing story about racism, immigration, poverty, courage, inclusion, bullying, acceptance, and the list goes on!! I encourage parents or educators to read it with their children/students because their are some heavy and important discussions that should be had while reading this story. The author’s note in the back was incredibly eye opening to realize a lot of the stories within the book really did happen in the author’s life. Author, Kelly Yang, is an amazing person of strength, courage, and determination as you can see through Mia’s character in the book as well as her accomplishments in her professional life. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think it’s a great way to discuss hard issues that our children and students face either personally or around them daily. There are a few uncomfortable ratios slurs but was necessary. It’s also worth noting a few curse words (maybe not so needed and not mentioned by CSM- Damn, hell, and bastard) Just a heads up if you’re reading out loud to a classroom. Fabulous book and highly recommended for about maturer 3rd graders and up!

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byCanadian Dad August 5, 2019

Excellent read about the working poor

My 10 year-old boy and I loved this book. The main character, Mia, is passionate, intelligent, kind and astute, yet still very much struggles with the social problems of a 10 year-old at school, trying to fit in with a group of other kids all searching for their identities.

However the overarching themes of immigration, the working poor, and stereotypes/discrimination are what set this book apart. The little victories and greater defeats make this book a really good introduction for kids whose families are of an income where they do not worry about putting food on the table. It's great for eliciting empathy towards others. What really drives the point home is the fact that most events are based on the author's own experiences.

Finally, there is a little bit of educational value here in terms of understanding Chinese human rights issues (ex. the one child policy).

An excellent read.

Adult Written byksaltbruin May 2, 2019

Challenging, Emotional

Great story that deals with tough subjects. Part of it is almost uncomfortable to read, because it is so heartbreaking. Vignettes are powerful and clever.