All teen and kid member reviews for Give a Boy a Gun

Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2009

They should have succeeded!

I read this book and I'm disappointed that they didn't succeed. They deserved good revenge for all those years of torture. But overall it was a great book and you should read it if you haven't already.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywavecrasher737 June 25, 2011

All adolescents and school faculty should read this book!

This book conveys messages that all adolescents, teachers, and other school faculty need to hear and understand. It shows how damaging bullying can be, why it needs to be prevented, and that violence and revenge are NOT the answers to the problem. The two shooters were portrayed as good children, but bullying caused one of them to spiral into a deep depression and the other to develop anger problems and violent tendencies. While the story is told from many different people who have very different opinions about what happened, they all agree on one thing: the shooting only made things worse for everyone. Even the friends of the shooters, who wanted revenge on the bullies, felt that the shooting was horrible and made things much worse off for them. The book, overall, conveys a positive message. There is some mild violence, which is not at all graphic, and some characters consume alcohol, but it is nothing that children haven't already heard about before. I read this book when I was 12, along with the rest of my seventh grade class, and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I would especially recommend this book to all teachers, so they could understand how to prevent bullying and future school shootings.
Teen, 13 years old Written byskiergirl202 November 19, 2010

Great for tweens and teens

This book is great to tell a realistic story about bullying and fire arms. Ilove this book and I think everyone should read it!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybrbii234 November 9, 2010

i love this book beacuse it shows hom many kids get pick on in school to the ponit they kill them selves :(
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2010

Awsome

Great book that you should read
Teen, 17 years old Written bylarae_dianna December 16, 2009

Thoughts on it from a 17 year old.

I thought this book was a very good one, I read it once when I was 13. Then again at 16. Although it shown alot of violence and anger it made me think about how I treat people around me. It is unlikley that there is a kid who will bring a gun to school and shoot people up. But it isn't impossible. It's happened before, and that's why I believe this book is pretty good one... it shows that people are affected by the way they are treated. It made me reflect and realize every one is going through different things and some go through different measures to "fix it". I recommend this book for teens who are mature enough to understand it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhths2010lse April 24, 2009

I LOVED THIS BOOK

OMG i had to read this book my freshman year in high school. and Now that im a jr in high school i get to read it again. and i LOVE IT. It just Means so much and the sad thing is.. I can see this happening at my school!
Teen, 17 years old Written bysportsobsessed1 April 9, 2008

Not as bad as it sounds,

I totally LOVED this book. It's about these boys that are toal outcasts. They get made fun of constantly and are finally sick of it. One of them owns a gun and decides to take action. They are very frustrated, as you get to be also by reading on. I reccommend this for kids over the age of 12.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuluMoon April 14, 2014

Amazing book and must read!

I am a student myself and I had to read it in english class. At first I was a bit skeptical but it turned out amazing. I have to say though that not everyone can read it, because it does have a lot of violence and drinking, drugs etc. are mentioned in the book as well as weapons and guns quite frequently. But although it is pretty violent, every kid should have definitely read it before their 18th birthday because it just opens to gun control, weapons, bullying and violence and I really think that this book makes you a bit maturer.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThomasAct October 11, 2011

Not the best book.

Very violent. not a fan of this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGraveRobberAtLarge January 14, 2011

Great book.

Epic book. I cried when I finished it <3 What alot of parents won't get is, the authors purpose in writing the book was to prevent future school shootings. I mean, it was pretty obvious to me. I almost couldn't get my mom to buy the book for me because of the subject. The book had a lot of information and facts promoting further gun control and anti-bullying programs in schools at the bottom of each page. It is a tough subject to talk about, but ignoring it never helps.
Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2009

This book is ok for kids 13+ even though I am only 11

This book is beast. Everything is so vivid, so distressing, it makes you feel like you are in the story. There is merely a thing gap between this and reality. THe messages are positive and negative. It teaches kids that revenge is nessecary, but some kids might like to see the peril and blood.
Teen, 14 years old Written byi_luv_puff3r April 23, 2009

still reading it

okay, i'm rading this book in my english class and so far so god. i love this book! but i have a couple questions. when they are talking about killings, that have happened in the past, at the bottom of each page, they frequently talk about this massacre where 2 boys shoot up their school and then they committed suicide and this massacre is what brought the book "give a boy a gun" as my teacher says. but i want to know what the massacre was called because i want to read about it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytysmith2593 April 14, 2009

I loved this book!!!

This book completely changed my overall perspective of how real it is when kids are pushed to the point of popping. I know how it feels to be pushed, but I never would think of attempting to kill my classmates. Strasser really took time to show his readers how people in our own world can treat kids, and teachers not do anything about it, when they see it and let it happen.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythat_one_guy726 April 9, 2008

Disturbing is the word...

Yes, this book is definitely disturbing. Extreme violence because two kids get sick of being picked on. Also many references to drugs and alcohol, but it's alright for the audience it's written for. Mild swearing here and there.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKudos April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bydorkerella April 9, 2008

Amazing~!

Give A Boy A Gun is my absolute favorite book, I've read it many times. It's a very good story to read if you're trying to understand school shootings. The Columbine references are fantastic, and the entire book is just amazingly written. It's definitely a must-read.
Teen, 16 years old Written byphilozen April 9, 2008

Great-style.

This book proves how we, as a society in its whole, should reconsider what is standard and acceptable. So what if a student is homosexual? So what if a girl decides not to sleep with every popular guy to gain a rank in social acceptance? So what if someone has a different opinion? To challenge the norm and the accepted is what brings forth diversity, and interest, in life. This book exploits the truth that is the school social system.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrily213 April 9, 2008

One of the best

This is one of the best books to ever be writtin. I know that after i read this book i wasnt goin to make fun of another kid. That is how crazy this book is. It has a lot of suspence when ur reading it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybrndnbdgr April 9, 2008

This book was one of the best books I have ever read and I hate reading but this book opened my eyes about the types of kids in this story and what can happen just from having a bad home life and playing violent video games. This book was so good that I have red it 3 times and will deff read it again