All member reviews for Goddess Girls: Athena the Wise

Greek goddesses go to high school in clever classic update.

Parent Written byLawyermom May 4, 2012

Normalizes bad behavior among peers

My daughter is addicted to this series and I thought, it can't be too bad for her to love books and learn about Greek mythology. After finding her in bed up late reading with a nightlight, I took the book and began reading it myself. It is disappointing in how caddy, manipulative, backstabbing, gossipy, and stereotyped (particularly for the girls) it is. They are very mean to each other and wield their power to reek havoc on others carelessly. I realize that is how the Greek Gods were depicted in any case from a historic perspective, but to see that behavior played out in a high school, very relateable setting, is disturbing. It smacks of bullying and harassment in a way that I would like to help my children learn is OK, not entertainment.
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2013

I love this series!

I thought that this book was interesting in a fun, learning way. It tells the back story of many Greek legends in a way that is not too scary, but instead positive. I would highly recommend this book and series.
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2011

A very fun book involving Greek mythology!

This book is not the best example of literature, but is a very fun story. Book 5 in the goddess girls series, this story deals with heavier concepts than the earlier books. Athena considers revenge a lot when a mortal insults her and her friends say that she should have punished that mortal. Instead Athena competes with that girl to prove who is the better weaver. Also, Athena deals with love and relationships when she is asked to help Heracles, and ends up "liking" him. Athena is a smart girl who is a good role model, as she knows she can forgive the many insults and injuries (some to her pride) that she receives, instead of just having to thoughtlessly punish everyone who gives her the tiniest insult. This book is a good introduction to some Greek myths, even if they aren't always perfectly accurate.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 10 year old Written bymmh_1000 May 21, 2013

Goddess Girls

I like Goddess Girls because my brother says the only reason he doesn't like them is because it makes me better at Greek mythology than him!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2011

Goddess Girls: Athena the Wise

Kid, 10 years old September 11, 2011

A great book for girls

This book is good for girls 9 and up. Athena is a good role model in that she is smart and has good judgement. It doesn't mater if you have read the rest of the series. It is fun even if you've never read any greek myths, but you get more out of it if you have read greek myths. This book is based on real greek myths but with fun changes that make them more interesting so it's good if you are learning a little bit of greek myths. If you like it when characters have magical powers this is a good book for you. A nice thing about it is you feel like the characters are real people and you care about them!
Kid, 8 years old April 16, 2011