All member reviews for Going Bovine

Edgy, quirky road trip fantasy skewers reality TV and more.

Age

Parent of a 2, 5, and 13 year old Written byPoppyViolet January 27, 2011

Great book

this is a great book! It's hilarious, and very realistic. it's great for kids 12+. you aren't doing your kids any favors by sheltering them from stuff like this just because of some language and vague references to sex. they hear worse things at school or even on TV. This book is about what real teenagers do, and it's not going to cause your children to get into drugs or anything like that, so don't worry. Fantastic book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBenny95346 December 1, 2010

Only Appropriate for Yound Adults

Now this is a book for the older teens or young adults. DEFINITELY a no for tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byguin236 July 10, 2012

READ THIS BOOK

Trust me people, this is the best book for your little kids
Adult Written byMissIcia November 24, 2010

A philosophical but funny and heart wrenching novel

This book is easy to read and is humorous at most times, despite the overall theme being sad. The characters are very diverse, and feature both realistic and fantastical qualities. This book adds in tidbits about Norse mythology, which was a fun added bonus. It mixes the genres of fantasy and coming-of-age in a unique way. There is mention of sex and drugs, but the sex is not very detailed or described, and the drug references are mainly marijuana. I enjoyed this book, because it made me feel all sorts of emotions, and rarely did I find a stale moment. It's perfect for teenagers, because even though the role model is not perfect, he's real. So many kids are like Cameron, and maybe reading a book with such a similar character who has some great philosophical realizations, will help some teens. I read it this year at the age of 19, and it changed the way I see the media, friendship, music, and life. It's a book that's just too many things to sum up in a small review, so I recommend it to anyone 14 and up.
Adult Written bySarahK 3 February 17, 2015

It was good

i read this book a few years ago when i was fifteen and it really opened me up. i was at first very nervous about all of the cursing and everything about sex but as i read on the swearing was really not all that bad for me, sure it felt like it came out of left field at first but where wouldnt this be applied. as i read the story i enjoyed how the little details made me see the world differently. i read this book many times and i took away a different lesson each time. it seems there are two kinds of readers when it comes to this book however, those who love it and those who hate it, i am the one who loves it because of the lessons that it taught me, for example dont be afraid to go on an adventure for once, and that you really should be more patient with people. this book was also a book about death so it is a little grim at times as it alludes to it all through out but in the end you were taken on the most wild adventure. while again there is swearing and sex i know for a fact that many schools in my state make people read huckleberry finn which uses the 'N-word" and many books i read in elementary school, like the chronicals of narnia and such, featured swears too. i learned the word 'ass' by the second grade. so as long as your young teen knows what your policy is on swearing and such this book really should not be a hot button. let your child read it, its really good for them.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus May 5, 2013

Um, well..........

I did not really like this book. I'm not going to lie, I did not finish the book, but I will tell you why. Let me start by saying that I truly liked the beginning. It was really funny, had an interesting style that kept me entertained, really quirky, and, well, I liked it. That was about the first 100 pages or so. After that point when the plot took off it started to go downhill for me. The story slows way down. And now I realize that I actually don't like any of the characters. The story also keeps getting weirder and weirder. Okay, I don't mind reading strange books, but this book had nothing going for it to keep me interested. So I stopped reading at right around page 170. I can't handle another 300 pages of confusion and unlikable characters. Also, this book is definitely not for kids. Seriously, it's not. Between the pot smoking, loads of language, and sexual content.....yeah, I'd say it's out for 14 and under. Iffy for 15. Probably best for 16 and up. I wouldn't recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 1, 2013

going bovine

This is an amazing book with a unique, layered storyline that is very thought provoking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEscherCheshire13 October 6, 2012

Bizarre but deep teen fantasy

A really well composed novel, I've read this book probably too many times. The characters are quirky, consistent (as in, their personalities don't change half way through the book, like the majority of teen novels), and easy to relate to. The book is mostly completely side splitting, with a few take-your-breath-away moments, and a few more cry-your-eyes-out moments. The ending was incredibly clever and fairly insightful. Pot smoking (which the main character ceases taking), language, sex (which cleverly glorifies relationships based off of real attraction and compassion, rather than those based purely off of physical attraction) and a very subtle jab to religion in one section of the novel, may be of concern to readers.
Adult Written byrubbaduck4luck March 3, 2012

Stupid

With the book trying too be corky and indie, it really fell flat. When I read the back of the book, I expected something really insightful about the author's view on "the meaning of life." I was really disappointed at not finding her message very original (but I guess that's a really tall order to put on a book about the meaning of life) You might as well stamped "Carpe Diem" on the book cover. I did not like how when Balder died, Cameron and Gonzo mourned for like two seconds and then just moved on with their lives. But I guess that's another point of the book; just get use to the fact of death and dying(?) I felt like relationships sprang up out of nowhere (Dulcie and Cameron) Did Cameron love Dulcie because that was the only girl who ever talked to him? Lame. Cameron wanted to have sex with every female character in the book (Dulcie, Staci Johnson, and the rebellious girl at the CESSNAB compound) Did he want to find love or just not die a virgin? The ending was incredibly stupid. What is reality anymore? Apparently it doesn't matter. I did learn a very little aspect of Norse mythology. That was cool.
Teen, 13 years old Written by Alice June 22, 2011

Simply Wonderful!

This is possibly one of the most original books I've ever read. It's about a teenage boy named Cam who discovers that he has mad cow disease. He meets a dwarf named Gonzo and a punk rock angel named Dulcie. Cam and Gonzo escape from the hospital they're being treated at and go on a mystical road trip, where they battle evil with a magic jazz musician, encounter a happiness cult, and much more. Also, they have to hunt down a scientist who they believe can cure Cam. This is a very unique and entertaining book, and a great read for teens who don't normally enjoy fantasy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 April 10, 2011

Read Bray's Victorian-based novels instead

I picked this up because I'd read other books by the author that were okay, so I decided to try this one. I don't think I allowed myself to get past page 20 or so. I could not sympathize with the main character and I recall one moment where he was trying to impress his sister's friend that was kind of inappropriate. Then, at school, he and his friends regularly escape to the bathroom to smoke and curse (included the F-word). I think I stopped at the chapter title "I have a discussion with my a--hole father" because I wasn't going to put up with it.
Adult Written bychussie March 24, 2011

Eh.

The first half of this book is magnificent. It's funny, intriguing, witty, and entirely entertaining. Halfway through however you begin to realize that the story line is annoyingly repetitive and it's about 100 or so pages too long to keep interest. The ending was entirely bizarre and I felt like I had wasted a lot of my time reading the book. I was disappointed because I love Libba Bray and the beginning had so much potential. Overall, not a book I would recommend.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytwipotterfruit March 4, 2011

Best book ever.

This is one of my favourite books of all time.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2011

Quirky Young Adult Novel

Going Bovine is an extremely great book. It's very funny, and perfect for teenagers (or children who read at a very advanced level.) The concept is interesting, and if you ask me, the imagery was very good. It's kind of long, but I personally like long books, and even if you or your teen doesn't, it's well worth it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodperson4 November 16, 2010

pretty disappointing.

not a good book. one graphic sex chapter between cameron and stacey. detailed sexual phrases like, "I venture out a little more and find the buckle on her bra," and, "we shed clothes like we're setting a land speed record." also a lot of drinking underage, and bad words spattered through out the book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byluke3854 May 29, 2010

Teen book

Good book problem is swearing eg a-- f--k "bone" and other profanities
Teen, 14 years old Written bybat3151 March 20, 2010

Really Freaking Awesome

This book was the best thing I've read. Ever. It has, like, everything. I have a long line of kids who want to borrow it. Some people may be a little bit scared of the sex, and language, but, your loss.
Teen, 13 years old Written byptb March 15, 2010

Amazing.

GOING BOVINE is, simply put, frickin' awesome. There's some sex, swearing and a violent scene, if that's the kind of thing that gives you pause.