All member reviews for Going Bovine

Teen, 13 years old Written byguin236 July 10, 2012

READ THIS BOOK

Trust me people, this is the best book for your little kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byBenny95346 December 1, 2010

Only Appropriate for Yound Adults

Now this is a book for the older teens or young adults. DEFINITELY a no for tweens.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus May 5, 2013

Um, well..........

I did not really like this book. I'm not going to lie, I did not finish the book, but I will tell you why. Let me start by saying that I truly liked the beginning. It was really funny, had an interesting style that kept me entertained, really quirky, and, well, I liked it. That was about the first 100 pages or so. After that point when the plot took off it started to go downhill for me. The story slows way down. And now I realize that I actually don't like any of the characters. The story also keeps getting weirder and weirder. Okay, I don't mind reading strange books, but this book had nothing going for it to keep me interested. So I stopped reading at right around page 170. I can't handle another 300 pages of confusion and unlikable characters. Also, this book is definitely not for kids. Seriously, it's not. Between the pot smoking, loads of language, and sexual content.....yeah, I'd say it's out for 14 and under. Iffy for 15. Probably best for 16 and up. I wouldn't recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 1, 2013

going bovine

This is an amazing book with a unique, layered storyline that is very thought provoking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEscherCheshire13 October 6, 2012

Bizarre but deep teen fantasy

A really well composed novel, I've read this book probably too many times. The characters are quirky, consistent (as in, their personalities don't change half way through the book, like the majority of teen novels), and easy to relate to. The book is mostly completely side splitting, with a few take-your-breath-away moments, and a few more cry-your-eyes-out moments. The ending was incredibly clever and fairly insightful. Pot smoking (which the main character ceases taking), language, sex (which cleverly glorifies relationships based off of real attraction and compassion, rather than those based purely off of physical attraction) and a very subtle jab to religion in one section of the novel, may be of concern to readers.
Teen, 13 years old Written by Alice June 22, 2011

Simply Wonderful!

This is possibly one of the most original books I've ever read. It's about a teenage boy named Cam who discovers that he has mad cow disease. He meets a dwarf named Gonzo and a punk rock angel named Dulcie. Cam and Gonzo escape from the hospital they're being treated at and go on a mystical road trip, where they battle evil with a magic jazz musician, encounter a happiness cult, and much more. Also, they have to hunt down a scientist who they believe can cure Cam. This is a very unique and entertaining book, and a great read for teens who don't normally enjoy fantasy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 April 10, 2011

Read Bray's Victorian-based novels instead

I picked this up because I'd read other books by the author that were okay, so I decided to try this one. I don't think I allowed myself to get past page 20 or so. I could not sympathize with the main character and I recall one moment where he was trying to impress his sister's friend that was kind of inappropriate. Then, at school, he and his friends regularly escape to the bathroom to smoke and curse (included the F-word). I think I stopped at the chapter title "I have a discussion with my a--hole father" because I wasn't going to put up with it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytwipotterfruit March 4, 2011

Best book ever.

This is one of my favourite books of all time.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2011

Quirky Young Adult Novel

Going Bovine is an extremely great book. It's very funny, and perfect for teenagers (or children who read at a very advanced level.) The concept is interesting, and if you ask me, the imagery was very good. It's kind of long, but I personally like long books, and even if you or your teen doesn't, it's well worth it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodperson4 November 16, 2010

pretty disappointing.

not a good book. one graphic sex chapter between cameron and stacey. detailed sexual phrases like, "I venture out a little more and find the buckle on her bra," and, "we shed clothes like we're setting a land speed record." also a lot of drinking underage, and bad words spattered through out the book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byluke3854 May 29, 2010

Teen book

Good book problem is swearing eg a-- f--k "bone" and other profanities
Teen, 14 years old Written bybat3151 March 20, 2010

Really Freaking Awesome

This book was the best thing I've read. Ever. It has, like, everything. I have a long line of kids who want to borrow it. Some people may be a little bit scared of the sex, and language, but, your loss.
Teen, 13 years old Written byptb March 15, 2010

Amazing.

GOING BOVINE is, simply put, frickin' awesome. There's some sex, swearing and a violent scene, if that's the kind of thing that gives you pause.