All member reviews for Good Enough

Adult Written bySjcherie July 6, 2009

Perfect for Asian teenagers; a really, really good read for everybody else :]

This book almost left me in complete shock after I finished reading it. It was almost like it was taken straight from my thoughts, from my complaints, my aches, and my experiences. I highly reccomend this book, even if you aren't an Asian with strict parents. The humor is a little too plainly stated, but nevertheless hilarious. Paula Yoo is an amazing writer and she seamlessly fits in sensitivity in her comedic narrative.
Teen, 14 years old Written byh8rPatrol December 21, 2010

I really think I learned about another culture through reading this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byagentcheesecake March 17, 2011

Gives You an Inside View on the "Ivy-League Asian Genius" Stereotype

Good Enough is one of my favorite books of all time. It is the story of an overachiever whose life is pretty much being controlled and planned out by her parents, who happen to be very strict. All they want for their daughter is to study, and then move on to an Ivy League college. Their daughter Patti, goes along with it until she meets someone who makes her realize that what she really wants is to live her life making music.Patti talks to her parents baout applying to music school, and naturally, they fight about it. In the end though, they make ends meet with Patti going to Yale and participating in a special music program. One thing I loved about the book was it give you an inside look at the sterotypical "Ivy-League Asian genius." (Yes, Patti's family is Asian). One thing I didn't like though was that she went off to Yale. Yale is a great school, but Patti should have followed her dream all the way!