All member reviews for Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

Unique, brilliant, award-winning history book.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bypeony April 9, 2008

Outstanding! A moving spectrum of medieval life, including harsh realities

The short dramatic monologues format makes for a vivid view of a spectrum of children in a medieval village. Short and captivating, yet educational too. A compassionate, moving treatment of many topics I would usually consider too "rough" for younger readers, but this is so well-done and so accessible that it's worthwhile -- just be prepared for some discussion with readers who are on the younger side (8-10) of the recommended age range, or more sensitive. (In addition to the content points mentioned in the CSM review, there are also some earthy parts: mention of pain/fear of childbirth; a girl assists in lambing. Also, a discussion of cheating-as-a-business-style by the miller.) Recommend for ages 8+ with discussion; otherwise 10+.
Adult Written byFlyingbull April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLayneE September 20, 2010

'Tis great!

Excellent to use for a classroom! What a way to introduce poetry without overwhelming students! Have students act out each, talk about history, and enjoy the vocabulary!
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2010

there is not much to worry about. The violence is nothing worse than a boar getting killed and the only language is he** being used in the context of a place. Most of the book is poetry so if don't like poetry avoid it.
Kid, 9 years old December 24, 2008

A great story for people who like drama and medieval times!

This book is one of my favorite books ever! I read it when I was eight and loved it! One of my favorite things about this book is that when there are words the reader may not know the author puts the definition on the side. I love the stories and how we (the readers) get to find out about each character's life and who they are. I suggest the book for children eight and up, unless you don't like drama or are just starting to get interested in medieval times and are learning what the words they used mean as the author uses the way of speaking from back then, then you might want to wait until you are older.
Adult Written byBookMama April 9, 2008
ZZZZ. More like a coffee table book, or a text book, than a story. Can't see kids reading this on their own. Lovely illustrations though.
Educator Written byMr.J May 26, 2010

Boring book for adults - lack of interest with kids

This is one of the worst books I have read. The fact it is a Newberry winner makes it worse. While the author used catchy prose to help us understand the lives or everyday Medieval culture, the book is boring and not very interesting. This is one of those books Commonsense Media would say appeals to adults but most likely, not children.