Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Graceling

Satisfying but violent fantasy debut for teens.

Parent Written bypizzarita9 August 26, 2010
Many of the parent and teen reviewers said the sex was vague or downplayed. I do not agree. My preteen was upset by the first sex scene, stopped reading the book and brought it to me, so obviously there was enough detail. He also wanted to know if sex is painful for women, an idea he got from the story. Do we really need to be giving young people this much detail in a culture where we are reaping the whirlwind of unrestrained teen sex? I also resent it that this book gave my child a wrong view of sex. Why should an author have the license to take what should be the privilege and responsibility of the parents to share? This book was how I found the Common Sense website. From now on I will screen books more carefully.

Adult Written bymorality matters October 5, 2011

COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE

This book would've been good, had it not been for several key parts. One of them is the fact that it encourages the idea of marriage and childbearing as oppressive and undesirable. Yet other than make the moral and responsible choice to obstain from sex, this author tells kids they don't need to make commitments or have any moral obligations, just do whatever you want whenever it's convenient for you. Is this really a healthy or realistic message we want our children to hear? Our children need to know the truth that bad choices lead to bad consequences, no exceptions. Also the bad guy, King Leck is a sicko and a pervert who cuts and tortures animals and children for pleasure and ultimately murders his wife who tries to protect their 10 year old daughter, who he wants to molest and he goes to great efforts to persue his young daughter. That is more than a little disturbing. Had I known this book contained this I would never have let my 11 year old daughter read it and I am completely appauled that she got it from her school library. If moral values are important to you at all, you will not choose to let your child read this book. I am very sorry that mind did and i'm extremely disappointed in this author and will avoid her in the future.

Adult Written byweasly December 8, 2012

I love it

I absolutely love this book! And yes, i understand why some parents dislike it. Well, lets face it-11 year old kids know about all that stuff and if they don;t, better know sooner than later. It is FANTASY. A book. If your kids can't get the fact that what they read doesn't translate- at all- into the real world, they shouldn't be reading fantasy.
Adult Written bycheergurlclk August 26, 2011

Awesome!

I loved this book! It is one of the best YA novels I have read in a while, and I read a lot of YA fiction. Katsa is a very likable forward thinking heroine. The whole idea of gracelings and the world Cashore has created is interesting and different.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byJAM22 March 9, 2011

Messages sent are way off.

Call me crazy but I don't think it is ok for kids to read about sex at age 13. I also really don't like how the main character makes the decision to have sex without commitment. Is that what I hope my children learn?

Parent of a 13 year old Written byenjoysreading December 17, 2010

Maybe ok for older, mature teens

I have to say that even though I enjoyed the story line and the overall idea of the novel, the obvious sexual overtones and the way the violence was described was gratuitous and more than I think a teen under the age of say 17 or so can handle well.

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycheesecake125 February 28, 2011

Great for growing preteens and teens

Graceling is a great book, my two daughters have read it and say it is very good. There are some intimate sex scenes, so it may be good for teens. (not lower than age 10!)

Adult Written byDejaey March 22, 2012

Graceling

I thought this book was well rounded, the people who downplay this book for certain attributes need to calm down and just not read. I loved this book, the action was perfectly balanced in my perspective and the sexual scenes were limited and very short. If you downplay this book for those reasons just don't read it, you don't deserve to.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byPHD March 13, 2010
ITS ONE OF THE EBST BOOKS FOR VHILDREN I'VE EVER READ IT VERY GOOD. WITH MESSAGE AND ALL

Parent of a 12 year old Written bydollbecky October 11, 2009

a mature 11yrs and up

The fact the main characters have a sexual relationship is downplayed and it is clear in context they are of marriageable age in their cultures I really liked that the hero does not simply let this relationship define her or become her reason to exist ..the happy ever after is about her growing up and trying to do some good by following her own path I think it shows a healthy relationship. My daughter read it so quickly she skipped over the fact the couple were intimate and when we talked about it she decided to re-read it so see if I was not trying to trick her I think that speaks to how subtle the sex is compared to how exciting the action is

Parent of a 12, 14, and 16 year old Written bysillywidget February 23, 2010

Wonderful adventure and fantasy, great writer

Warning SPOILERS ahead.....I loved this book. There is violence, but also a lot of discussion about how to avoid using violence. The main character is used against her will by her King as a means to subdue his subjects, but she does not want to use her 'grace' this way and plots to thwart his plans and escape from his control. The sections that mention sex are very vague. Mostly the main character tries to protect people with her skills. I think this book would be fine for most twelve year olds

Adult Written byRose H. February 20, 2017

Just one thing

How is a mention of periods what makes this book 14+? Overall, I liked Gracelimg. A young child might be disturbed at the violence. Well written with a good plot and strong characters.
Parent of a 4, 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byMichelle the Li... July 16, 2010

Good for older kids, but not for tweens.

As a YA novel, this book is very well written and includes engaginf characters. The nature of the story involves a lot of violence, but it is not seen in a positive light. The sexual relationship between two of the characters was the only real drawback.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byKrystina March 29, 2010

OK for tweens with a few precautions

Very, very good book. Parents need to know that the main characters are sexually engaged, but it is not described in detail. I don't think it is too explicit for the audience it is intended for (young adult). Also, it is very violent, but not gory. Middle school students will like this book if they are sophisticated both socially and academically.

Parent Written byJoyfulheart June 20, 2018

Explicit sex scenes

The low rating is due to the plublisher’s age suggestion of 14 years and older. There is explicit sex scense where everything is explained... even the initial pain/blood from it being the girls first time and then the pleasure that followed. Dude. Not cool for teenagers.

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 8 year old Written by6whittingtons October 27, 2009

Better for mature teens

On the one hand the heroine disparages marriage as some sort of oppressive ownership of women. A message I didn't like. On the other there is a message of finding your place in a world where you don't always fit in. Accepting who you are and coming to terms with your giftings and limitations. There was some graphic violence but not excessive, the sex however wasn't graphic.