All member reviews for Gregor the Overlander: Underland Chronicles, Book 1

One of the best of the post-Potter fantasies.

Teen, 13 years old Written by8colony8 August 9, 2010

BEST. FANTASY. EVER!!!

YOU HAVE TO READ THE UNDERLAND CHRONICLES!!!! They are just amazing. They have adventure, great characters, great plot, and that tiny bit of romance that makes it great. From the word 'Gregor' in the first book to the word 'name' in the last, you will be absolutely hooked. The books say 'hell' and 'hellish' a couple times, there is bad attitudes, and at least one or more gory death in each book, but it is just the best fantasy series ever! P.S. Also you should read The Hunger Games trilogy, also by Suzanne Collins. They are also great!
Adult Written byjlondon April 9, 2008

Alice & Wonderland for Boys

This was a marvelous fantasy read. First time author Suzanne Collins gets this one right and we can look forward to more adventures with Gregor. This adventure is a great example of Alice & Wonderland that boys and girls will both love. The bond and nuturing attitiude that Gregor has for his sister is a pleasant touch. The world that Gregor and his sister tumble into is not so different from our own in the problems that occur between the societies. This would make a great kids book club book with many issues to discuss.
Adult Written bymjdulaney April 9, 2008

5th grade teacher raves about "Gregor!"

As a teacher, I am always looking for books that will grab the attention of my more reluctant readers. "Gregor" was such a title this year. I purchased and read my copy when the Texas Bluebonnet list chose it as one of its nominees for '05-'06. Two of my students were reading right along with me and our enthusiasm for the book caused many others in my class to get on the library's waiting list. Then we all spent time on-line checking out when book 2 of the chronicles would be available! The characters in this book were vivid and the story line moved quickly. The vocabulary was excellent, the more challenging words being easy to understand using context clues. Many kids were captured by the fantasy aspect, but since magic was not a part of it, those parents who object to the "Potter" series should be OK with the "Gregor" books. With the title character facing trials in his life such as poverty, poor housing, an absent father, and having to care for his younger siblings, many of today's kids will see themselves in Gregor, and others will possibly develop some understanding of classmates who face such difficulties. All around, an excellent book and I plan to start this coming school year with "Gregor the Overlander" as my first read aloud!
Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2011

Really Good!

All I remember from this book is that it was really good. I'm sorry that this review is a fail. But... READ "GREGOR THE OVERLANDER!!!"
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Person Guy June 26, 2011

Gregor the Overlander

I think that we all can tell by the 5-star reviews that this is a great book. One of my absolute favorites. It has a very hooking plot and great characters. The main character, Gregor, fights the evil rats, but does not like fighting. The book has a war theme. There are sword fights and a couple gory descriptions of deaths. A great read overall. If you are looking for a book series to read over the summer, believe me, this is it! [NOTE: This is one of the milder books in the series. Later books talk about heavier subjects like mass murder, and the last one is almost all about war. If your kid is young when they read this, you may want to wait a little bit before they read the last three.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStarStruck14 May 5, 2011

My View & Opinion

I have read the whole series and I would like to say it is by far the best series in boooks I have read, next to Twilight. After reading the 5th book I think it would be so COOL if Suzanne would write a 6th book because their were ALOT of UNANSWERED questions in the last book. LIke Luxa and Gregor or if Gregor will move to Virginia or what happens now since Ares DIEDDDD!!! Ughh it is so exciting..I jus hope she can find time to write another book ://
Kid, 9 years old September 22, 2010

Great, unusual fantasy, with a good message.

I loved these books. The author, Suzanne Collins, is really imaginative with the creatures and places. I really like fantasy, and this is a good, but unusual example of that. I think that Boots and her cockroach friends are funny. I also liked how it reminded me about how war is horrible (the main character, Gregor, is a good fighter, but he hates war).
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysandykrout August 30, 2010

Great for Girls or Boys.

This book kept our whole family ready to hear more. We like a good story, are conservative, for the most part, and found this series to be so entertaining [we're on book 3 in the series now]. We're already sad to know that we're half-way through the series. No major concerns with this book.
Adult Written bykeagan April 9, 2008

Suzanne Collins started an excellent series

My son got hooked on the first book and now is reading the FOURTH book already. It's an awesome series if it can keep my kid entertained through the whole series!
Parent Written bymcordray July 11, 2012

This book snares the reader from the very beginning. My boys loved that they can relate to Gregor's character. He is a typical eleven year old kid that ends up in a dark, intense and imaginitive adventure. The story is entertaining for the whole family.

I have two boys ages 9 and 12. I read this book to them for 30 minutes each evening. They never wanted me to stop reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTacoSalad November 28, 2011

Great book!

It was a great book, with a positive message as Gregor cares for his little sister, and protects everyone on the trip. There is a few battles, which are a bit gory.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEliasador April 27, 2011

Fantastic Story

I read this series as a kid and I still sometimes reread it. I love the characters and the depth of some of the themes. It is a perfectly paced, adventurous story. The characters are really good role models especially Temp LOVE HIM! Anyway, I have read Collins' other series but this is by far the best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaplefrost March 2, 2011

Kid, 11 years old May 18, 2010

Good book but violent!

It was almost better than The Hunger Games, which is saying a lot!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byahcim3 May 9, 2010

i was going to skip over this book because it sounded so totally weird but when i saw your review i read them all in 2 days!! (I must say i had a sick fascination with the Cockroaches) really good book i would recommend always thanks again
Kid, 12 years old May 5, 2010

Awesome for any age that can read!

I LOVE THIS BOOK BECAUSE THE MESSAGES ARE GREAT AND THE STORY IS GREAT AND ADVENTOUROUS.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byMommyD December 22, 2009

Great series for reluctant readers!

I read this series aloud to my children and we all loved it! The family relationship is a good one - everyone looking out for each other, not just themselves. The plot sucks you in and leaves you wanting the next one. Starting in the 3rd one they start getting a little more voilent but since we were reading outloud i just edited and talked about issues as we went. My 9 year old has now read them herself and loves them. This is also a good series to get your boys reading!
Kid, 8 years old March 29, 2014

This book is the best

It is a little too violent , but I loved it. I loved this book because they flew on bats.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRainbowedSomewhere July 23, 2013

15 And Not Too Old

This was the first book I'd ever actually liked, and I first read it at 11... now I'm reading it again b/c of my little sister and wow it's still amazing!! The way it's described on the cover, though, makes it sound kinda weird but once you actually read it you WILL get hooked from start to finish!!
Parent Written bysci-fi mom November 10, 2011

Great Story, Great Series!

My son and I read this together on vacation and loved the book. We were able to have very good discussions about various characters and their decision making. Gregor has good internal dialogue about what he could have done and also what other character's motivations may be. We have moved on to the other books of the series and have enjoyed them all.