All member reviews for Guardians of Ga'hoole Series

Great messages, heroic characters, just the right length.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAgent Klaw April 9, 2013

Good at first, but gets pretty violent.

I'm 12 years old, and I love the series. The only thing is, the first few books are fine, but then they get violent. For example, a character dies because his spine was hit and stabbed through his back. Another example, an owl got caught in a powerful wind that tore off his wings. Not the feathers, the whole wing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybarn owl October 24, 2011

Why you HAVE to read the Guardians of Ga'hoole Series

This book is great. The characters are some of the best ever, the plot so entracing that you cannot put the book dowwn!!! And to dnebe1, your right about eglantine. The only swearwords are hell ( althrough racdrops is a owl swearword) Down with the PURE ONES!!!!
Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2011

!!!Loving it!!!

I fell in love with the books! They are a great read for kids because they are very entertaining and teaches kids about leadership and doing the right thing. I have become so interested in owls now, i find them facinating. I must admit there is some violence but that just keeps you on the edge of your seet. I think about ten and older. A good buy and a fantastic story!
Kid, 10 years old May 14, 2011

Great

very exciting!!!
Educator and Parent Written byHattieG03 May 7, 2011

I am seven years old and absolutely love the Guardians of Ga'hoole series. I won't read Harry Potter because it seems too scary but this series isn't too frightening. I think 7 year olds and up who love animals will like these books a lot. It does have a wee bit of violence but not very much. I am waiting for number 5 The Shattering from the library and I can't wait to read it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byashtonsgm February 26, 2011

Great for boys with special needs.

Love it. Bought them for program I implemented @ Christmas to read aloud to my 17 year old special needs son. Our plan was 1 chapter in a book each night @ bedtime, inwstead of TV. Bought set of 3 as part of a read aloud program I implemented with my 17 year old son. He is 17 years old and has special needs. The plan was 1 chapter each night @ bedtime instead of TV. We enjoy them so much we are reading 2-3 chapters a night and now are looking for the restof the series. At night when he is ready for bed, he fingds me if, I'm not by his bed, and leads me there to begin reading. We love them, can't wait to find the rest.
Adult Written byGriobhtha Mama December 21, 2010

too violent.

I read this book ahead of my 9-year-old daughter, and so glad I did. While it does have a good message of friendship and teamwork, there were several occurrences of very graphic violence. I am not opposed to sad or bad things happening in a story, but the amount of detail was over-the-top for younger kids. Furthermore, the type of violence didn't add anything to the story - it was needless. There are other great books out there for kids to read and get the same great messages of friendship and working together. It wasn't that good of a book to warrant the gratuitous violence.
Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bymonicabrandywine November 25, 2010

Guardians of Ga'hoole is a great read

My 12 year old loves this series. She and her friends read the books, then get together to talk about the plot, characters, even act out scenes. Now she is taking the interest to the next level: joining a birding group, getting books from the library about owls, attending a lecture at an environmental center with live owls.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byBookmomof4 August 18, 2010

Great series!

My 11 year old daughter recently read the series and was so sad when it was done. She loved it so much she is reading it out loud to her 9 year old brother. I have now heard her read the first two books and really enjoy them myself. Not only are they entertaining, but they teach about owls. They are funny, fast-paced and very engaging.
Adult Written byweasly May 20, 2010

owls life

really good!
Kid, 6 years old September 15, 2014

the best

I found it great! It may be boring at the beginning, but after that you just can't put it down. It is one of the best books I have ever read.
Adult Written byrobratings8901 June 12, 2014

Kathryn Lasky actually wanted to write nonfiction about owls, you know.

That's right, Commonsense! That's why readers can learn about owls. On to my review; There's some pretty tragic violence, and the first book had me crying at the end. It's beautifully written, and extremely interesting! I actually haven't read the full series, but I must. Some scene of violence is described in flash back, including an owl being ripped apart, a villain having metal melt on his face, and that same owl being killed with a shard of ice. In later books, main characters have chicks, but not described. Owls have their own word for flirting, "Fiviling" They also have their own cuss words, that don't have any English roots, though. Interestingly enough, different animals have different "gods"- i.e, owls have "Glaux", and rabbits have "Lapin". All in all, a spectacular read, not done justice by the movie.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2014

AWESOME (warning for those who just watched the movie and sorry it does contain spoilers )

OK. So lets just get this straight if you found the movie too violent put the book down. Although I loved it and found this book series very entertaining. The story is set in a world where humans (or the others as the animals now call us) have become extinct and owls and the other animals have evolved and now have laws etc. Soren who lives with his Ma, Pa, older brother Kludd and younger sister Eglantine is snatched by the evil owls of St. Aggies, still sound familiar movie watchers, well, after escaping with friend Glyfie Soren stumbles across fight-loving, free-flier and war-chanter Twilight and then timid Digger scared from a horrible experience were his brother was killed and eaten by other owls. the 5 then make their way to the great Ga'hoole tree and eventually find that the owl world has a greater treat then St. Aggies. The Pure ones led by Soren's older brother Kludd. I recommend it for older readers who don't mind violence and gore but also enjoy stories about leadership, sacrifice and of course owls. The books for first designed as non-fiction so they are filled with real life facts and are very intelligent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGainer11 November 23, 2013

One of the best MG series

Absolutely love this series! A lot of violence including battles. Most older kids can probably handle it.
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2013

I loved it but it would not be appropriate for all children

I thought the series was really good but not appropriate for all children there was swearing such as H word and D word and there were some instances of violence that would give small children nightmares so i think the books are for children 10 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byadam8 January 21, 2013

Good!

This is a very good series. The movie is good too!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaria Sarah October 24, 2012

An Inner Growth.

So much inspiration and faith. Teaches readers to believe in themselves, and mold a sense of spirituality and build a strong sense of mind and belief. It honestly broke my heart and I cried reading the last book because there would be no more after the 15th book. Amazing and original series.
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2012

AMAZING. PERIOD.

Kathryn Lasky is my favorite author. All 15 books are great. I gotta disagree with this review, though. The last book is the saddest, not the first one.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykasidak December 23, 2011

Wonderful series!

Teen, 14 years old Written byRogue, barn owl October 26, 2011

THIS. IS. THE. BEST. ANIMAL. STORY. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!