All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Potter sequel is a creature-packed page-turner.

Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bychris27w April 9, 2008

Excellent book for age 8 and up!

This book is very good for children who are 8 and older. Strong friendships and loyalties are represented throughout the novel. There are a few passages which may frighten some children since they contain a giant spider and a giant snake. There is some blood and violence surrounding the snake, too. It is relatively mild, though. I recommend reading the book first before allowing your child to read it in case your child is squeamish about blood/mild violence. That being said, I have a six year old who will be allowed to read it in a year or two. I think overall it is an excellent book with good themes.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 1, 2011

bit scarier than the first..

For the first Harry potter if your 7 you will like it for THIS one it gets a bit scarier so probably 8 is a better age when they should watch it! I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!
Adult Written bymobleyclan7 April 9, 2008

A Must Read for Kids from 1-99!

As a 31 year old mother of 4 boys and an infant girl I can say that I monitor what my children view and read quite closely in our home. harry Potter has high honors here.
Adult Written byCharleeAnn March 21, 2016

Love Love Love It!

Great book! Really grips you into the series! However, "damn" is used at least once.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal December 5, 2010
Adult Written byGracesbigsis July 14, 2010

Really good book!

This is my favorite Harry Potter book. There are positive messages, interesting characters, and a clean, family friendly story. The mystery is intriguing and it's enough to encourage children to read. One thing you may want to discuss with them is rule breaking. Harry, Ron, and Hermione break a lot of rules. Even though the outcome is good, children should be told when it is and is not appropriate to break certain rules. Other than that, go for it. I would recommend that the American readers get the book on tape. Jim Dale is the best narrator I've ever heard and you and your children will likely enjoy each of his voices for the different characters.
Adult Written byScootermc99 November 24, 2009

Great Book!

It is a great book.
Adult Written byBryan P. March 1, 2017

A exciting and adventurous story

All summer Harry Potter wanted to go back to Hogwarts. But when he is getting ready to leave an imp creature named Dobby appears in Harry’s room and says if he goes back to Hogwarts, there will be problems. When Harry comes back at Hogwarts something is attacking students and turns them into stone. Harry struggles against finding out who is attacking the students in Hogwarts. Harry wants to stop whoever is attacking students on the other hand he doesn’t know who or what it is. The theme is friendship. I like this book because it was a big mystery of who was attacking the students. I would recommend this book to other people because it is full of adventure and is very mysterious.
Parent Written byroshanb December 27, 2016

REALLY GOOD, JUST READ IT, BUT BE 8 AND UP!!!

Great role models, great messages about friendship, loyalty, and more, this book has it all. Some intense peril, but not bad. REALLY GOOD I READ THIS BOOK ITS AWESOME! But i warn you, ONLY 8 and up read this, my child who is 7 and myself read this and she thought this book was scary, so 8 and up read this.
Parent Written byMartin C. November 30, 2016

Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets Book review

In the story the harry potter and the chamber of secrets the plot was when harry and his friends are facing new challenges in there second year at Hogwarts and they are trying to find the dark force that is terrorizing the school. The main conflicts in the story was when Harry discovered Tom Riddle , whose diary and voice he trusted at this point , is another version of the mysterious person that causes all of the attacks at Hogwarts. One of the themes were when the Dursleys find out that harry can do magic they decided to look him up in his room by himself . I would recommend this book to other people because when you read the first book you cant stop and want to read more and more and it dedicates students,, like to never give up, it shows great messages. It has positive actions and it does not have bad role models it has good role models.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bymomoftwolittleones May 17, 2013

Violent but really AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a 7-year-old boy and I read this book with my dad. There's a funny part where Ron's wand snaps in two and he burps up slugs so he sees Hagrid. It is also violent in some ways like Tom Riddle turning into Voldermort and fighting Harry.
Parent Written bytreat02 January 19, 2013

Good book!

I enjoyed reading this, and it's very, very entertaining but NOT to be taken seriously. There's some violence in the book, and some different things CAN frighten young children. But I think 9-year-olds can handle it, and if they have trouble reading it, the parent can help them. :)
Adult Written bykoujokakyuu July 1, 2012

2, I do love you! Listen to Jim Dale audio.

HP #2 is one of my least favorites when I consider the series as a whole, but while I am actively reading/listening to it, I always thouroughly enjoy it. 1 has such sentimental value even though it has a lot of exposition; 3-7 are a cut above; 2 is that slightly awkward sophomore effort. Highly reccommend the Jim Dale audiobook. His Prof. Lockhart voice is amazing!
Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byMerryJ January 13, 2012

Still on for sensitive 7 year old.

My very sensitive 7 year old was a little scared, but really loved this book. I haven't decided if we will let him move on to the next book, or wait until he is a little older.
Adult Written byunknown person June 2, 2011

The second book in an amazing series

This book is the sequel to the first book in the highly anticipated series Harry Potter. I recommend it highly, and I can tell Rowling is going to be a major figure in fantasy. A little parent guidance is needed in the violent sections, but otherwise, it is a perfect book for young readers.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010
i mean ok for 9 but a bit long for them
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Great Story! Gets kids reading!

Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike! While there is violence, it definitely isn't too violent or excessive. The book is very thrilling. Some parts are scary, again not too scary; you're scared because the character is scared. It's part of what makes it such a great book.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymomonick February 25, 2010

Way better than the movie

A great book for kids 8 and up. It was way better than the movie. I am 9 years old (mom is with me)
Adult Written byreader123 January 13, 2009

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets Review

In Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets Harry talks snake as a snake tries to attack a child in the hall when himself and malfoy uses a spell to bring out a snake even though they were told to use disarm only. the book is a must-read book and is really apropriate for all ages but i would recomend about 10 years of age is a good age to read the book as most ages under either wont be able to read it or wont understand it. The book is a good interesting book and i have all the harry potter books twice. i have them in hard back and soft back. i have read this book i am explaining about 4 times. i would never sell my harry potter books. i might hand them down through the family but i will never sell them. if it gets in to the family really late and my late family decide to sell them then that is there decision. Also if they sold the books in about 100-200 years from now they would be worth a-lot of money as J.K Rowling has just written her last harry potter book. all the books of harry potter are good but this one is my favorite because harry and ron turn into the kids from slitherin. also the book is funny, interesting and appropriate for most ages. By Mitchell Hingley
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009