All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Awesome Ending

Beware, anyone attached to the characters will shed some tears. There are lots of deaths. The way the Minstry treats Muggle-borns is a lot like the ways the Nazis treated Jews, which may be hard for some kids who know about this for take. But, all in all, it's a great book. The kids (can you call them that anymore?) would die for each other. They are smart and resourceful.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bypotternut April 9, 2008

Absolute masterpiece!

I am a 39 year old mother of two who was more excited about this book coming out than either of my children! The wait was certainly worth it as JK Rowling has created a masterpiece. Yes, there are some troubling deaths (some major characters go through the veil) and lots of violence. Harry's struggle against evil is messy and no one comes away unscathed. In the end, however, love, loyalty and unselfishness win out, traits that I want to instill in my own children. Rowling also brilliantly tackles the concepts of forgiveness and redemption, providing loads of "teachable moments" for parents. I highly recommend DH for tweens (who may need some help fully understanding some of the more complex themes), teens and adults. Parents - if you've missed out on reading the books, DON'T just rely on the movies to think you know Harry Potter. As good as they are, the movies cannot do these books justice. Read them all...you won't regret it.
Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

e.g. Perfect for teens and adults

this book is great along with the the other books and movies i dont like the language though its in a alot of chapters but the action is awesome violence is very brutal and graphic
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybuleblubble October 25, 2009
that a good book it not be for kids but is good
Adult Written bycorazonpartid0 April 9, 2008

Best Ever

This is the best ever. Full of twists and turns. Hard to put down. I just kept wanting to read on, but after 4 days I finished.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byboyita April 9, 2008

darkest of the set, wraps things up nicely

It sometimes seemed like JKRowling was writing with the Hollywood blow-'em-up fight scenes in mind... the battles are described in detail that left me wanting to skip ahead.
Parent Written byroshanb January 18, 2017

EPIC ENDING, READ IT IF YOU ARE 10 AND UP!

IT IS REALLY WELL-MADE! I FINISHED THE DAMN SERIES AND IT WAS SPECTACULAR! BUT THIS IS THE BEST OF ALL THE SEVEN NOVELS(not including the eighth one) and this is sad but AMAZING! Although Fred, Tonks, and Lupin, and some others die, it's fine. Both sides are devastated, but they aren't gone.
Adult Written byharry_potter_fa... June 25, 2015

love it????

I love this book I read to 100 times I can read all the book over and over again. thanks to j.k rowling to making wonderful books 10/10
Educator and Parent of a 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byMrs.Frank June 2, 2015

Great Message for Kids

This is the best Harry Potter book, no contest, and there are some great positive messages in there! Obviously there is the fight between good and evil, Harry and Voldemort, which seems to relate to Christianity in a way. Although there is a lot of violence, especially at the end, there are no other bad things in this book. Some parents might want to read it first before their kid does.
Adult Written byKyle Christine June 27, 2014

The finale of one of literature's biggest sagas

The final installment of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter saga marks the epic conclusion of the story of a boy who goes through the halls of a private school for wizards and witches and his quest to figuring out how to defeat the most evil wizard in history: Lord Voldemort. This installment of the series is by far as long as Goblet of Fire and a few pages shorter than Order of the Phoenix. It contains some content that is marked inappropriate for children under age 12 such as deaths of major characters, intense battle sequences in the second half, and some sensuality. But it is a great book for everyone over 12 for intermediate readers.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 20, 2012

good book!

i like this book, it is by far my favorite in the harry potter series, i remember this book, when i read it, it does have a handful of deaths, some you might not expect, (none of the main characters) but this is good and i think mature ten year olds can read it.
Adult Written byGoldenLion February 4, 2011

Best book ever

This book is so cool! I read all of them at least 5 times. Me and my friends looooove this book so much. It is the best book so is the fourth book.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMetaMarth October 19, 2010

HP finale too intense for younger readers.

HP7 is totally awesome! It ends everything well, and Harry, Hermione and Ron are good because they never do anything bad, and the good vs. evil concept is built on in the series finale. However, there is a substantial amount of cursing. There is 1 use of b***h, 2 uses of b****rd, and 67 uses of hell. The amount of violence is intense. At least 100 people die, including a bunch of major characters. There are mentions to making out, and Harry is naked when he dives for the locket, and Ron makes a few comments on rape, but barely anyone will notice. Harry, Hermione and Ron drink beer even though they are underage, and they do not get caught. The bottom line is: the book is great, but the extreme violence and cursing make it appropriate only for people 13 and older.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010
every book is amazing
Adult Written byweasly August 1, 2010

the best

excellent!! i loved it. but as you can tell from my user name i was realy sad when SPOILER*** fred died. but sacrifices must be made in wars.
Parent Written byPlague January 5, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I've taken a great liking to the Harry Potter series, and this is an amazing finale.
Adult Written byLkc159 December 29, 2009
The culmination of 15 years of planning, JK Rowling's work is of epic proportions never before attained, and possibly never to be seen again. Although this book itself is far darker and possibly aimed towards more mature persons, It manages to bring the series to a satisfying conclusion, and tie up most of the loose ends. A downside is that there happen to be a few plot holes if one looks hard enough, and romance enthusiasts will be disappointed to know that Harry and Ginny are not a couple (due to J.K. Rowling's self professed inability to write romance). However, overall, it is still a fantastic read.
Adult Written byJohnathonLongho... December 28, 2009

Apporiate for All Ages Old Enough to Understand

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is not as child ready as the earlier books. Though, it just may be the best one in the series.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bywaseem December 22, 2008

I surprised.

I have read this book.I am very excited to release this Movie.This Book is really outstanding.