Parent reviews for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Fourth Potter has brilliant plotting -- and dragons.

Adult Written byLowvid Mom March 21, 2009

Half clued in

I just finished reading this book to my 8 year old. I have read the first three to him as well. I agree that children 10 and older will probably get more from this book than the average 8 year old. That said, my child loves the series and did not have a hard time with the gory parts or the death of a "good guy" character. In fact it gave us the opportunity to discuss what he hears, sees, and discusses with friends at school. Several of his friends are into Star Wars and Indiana Jones as well as Harry Potter. We have talked about fiction and fact, about the horrors of war and why people should avoid war at all costs, and about why people follow "a bad guy" as a leader. I expect in a year or two my son will go back and read these books to himself, and having been through them once will probably get a lot of nuance out of them. He has not suffered from nightmares or been troubled by the story. He is learning about literature and developing a thirst for exciting books and becoming an avid reader.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byrealsupergirl June 15, 2019

This is where the series turns

This is the book where the series gets darker and more serious. No one dies in the first three books, three people die in this book. And Harry learns just how dark and misguided government that ia supposed to protect people can be.

Educational Value
Adult Written byakneon8 December 29, 2018

Great!...

I loved this book. It does show a little bit of violence, ut the hidden themes and messages are worth reading for.

Adult Written byalexh1 January 31, 2015

one of the best

One of my favorites. Much longer than the first three, this book changes the series in a good way. The story is darker and more complex as well. A seven year old could read this series from beginning to end and have a good time, I however found that the book is more entertaining if you are thirteen or older because you begin to notice the deeper elements of the novel.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Amazing

I've read all of the Harry Potter books, hands down, four stars. This one, is one of my favorites. It has a great plot, but some iffy violence.

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byshrink monster October 26, 2010

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for kids under 10

My 8 year old has gotten me into this series and i absoulutely love it - but not as much as she does. Fortunately or unfortunately she read the whole series before I finished #3. According to her that is good because I never would have let her read 4-7. She's probably right, however she reads and rereads them and shows no signs of any issues from the scary stuff. I still think parts are too violent for a child her age. (she doesnt)

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byohya August 17, 2010
my favorite of them all

Parent of a 6 and 9-year-old Written by123Meg March 14, 2010

Torture, compassion, anger and romance

Kudos to kids who can read through this long, complex book. However, the anger and cruelty displayed in early chapters when one group of people terrorizes and tortures another group (including children) is quite disturbing. More terrorizing and violence follows at the end with characters dying, both from the 'good guy' and the 'bad guy' camps. And through the backstory of some new characters that is revealed, we begin to learn tragic details of what people did, turning against friends and family, during the evil Voldemort's rise to power.
The rest of the story line is similar to previous Harry Potter books, with the introduction of a few new themes. For the first time, good friends have a serious falling out, and have to work through resolving that. Characters begin to deal with romantic feelings. And a sudden awareness of inequalities and tensions between wizards and other magical races introduces a theme of political action and compassion.

Adult Written byproud-ravenclaw October 22, 2009

Younger kids won't be able to understand it

There have been younger kids who have read this book, but they have trouble understanding it. It's hard for an 8 year old to understand that a trusted teacher put Harry's name in the cup...and the trusted teacher Harry knew wasn't him at all. The graveyard scene will scare anyone under ten. The characters are strong and stand up for others. Me? I absolutely love this book. I've read it over and over and over again. I love Hermione's whole S.P.E.W.

Adult Written byBritMom April 9, 2008

Great teenage characterisation

What I like most about these books - and esp this one - as an adult reader is the characterisation of the children as they become teenagers and young adults. They are really believable, from their petty jealousies to the stomach churning desire to get dates. The Triwizard tournament is a bit of a contrivance, but overall, I like the action in this novel.
Adult Written byMatt19 January 18, 2021

A spelltastic 4th novel and my favourite Potter book too!

The Goblet Of Fire is a fantastic book to read. It is a lot darker than the previous 3 books because the main antagonist Voldemort returns and there is more blood and violence. There is also a very sad death towards the end of the book where some people will find it upsetting. I recommend this book for 11 and up due to it's darker themes. It is also quite long too with over 600 pages. I strongly recommend the 4th book for all Potterheads! I love it!

Adult Written byhuginbun23 October 2, 2020

Phenomenal

This is when the books start to get dark but there no inappropriate I think they are amazing and recommend it. But there is some violence but not to bad.

Educational Value
Parent Written byhannah1991 October 22, 2019

My favorite chapter discussed the Yule Ball!

Harry, now fourteen, is an adolescent with the power to cast even more advanced spells . Enjoying yet another summer away from the Dursleys, Harry and his friends attend the annual Quidditch World Cup, accompanied by Mr. Weasley, Mr. Diggory (his colleague from work) and his son, Cedric. However, this turns to fear as the Death Eaters (faithful followers of Voldemort) appear and cause chaos at the grounds where the event is being held.

He is invited (along with the other fourth-years) to the Yule Ball, which is held on Christmas Day, from 8 to midnight.

Adult Written bypt130135 June 11, 2019

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byHimynameislove May 18, 2019

Very Good

I think it is for 8 year olds. Some bad things but pretty good I must say that the book has some hard words but I think the muturiy is for 8 year olds

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byHjal December 5, 2010

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bylove2 October 6, 2009

good but a challenge for kids under 10 to read

i read this book when i was 8 and even then i thought it was pritty good. but also the book was a bit of a challenge for me to read.

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14-year-old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008
Adult Written byeverythingisAOK April 9, 2008

love it!!

harry potter is one the greatest books written in our time. this book has gotten many kids to read, and start to look in to novels close to harry potter. highly recommand for any age and anyone.