All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

10+ or depending on maturity, no younger than 9.

I love this book. It's one of my favorites in the series. This one has one of the most deaths. It has many wars. And one scene where Dumbledore goes crazy, he also has to cut himself in order to enter a cave, and he falls off a tower. Mild language but i wouldnt worry about that. They kiss a lot, but come on they are teens in this book, teens kiss. I wouldnt count that as inaapropriate content.
Adult Written bytournhtid July 18, 2009

12+

This is a good book, does involve a bit of drinking and a few sexuall ineuendos in the book and movie. Lots of kissing and sexual tension/relationship tension between ron and hermione. As well as harry and ginny. Lavendar brown is protrayed as love obsessed, but in the end was poked fun at and deemed unhealthy which was good. The books are growing more intense and violent as they go. They are getting quite dark.
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2011

Excellent Book, More Mature Than Previous Installments

This book is one of the strongest installments in the Harry Potter franchise, but it is also one of the most mature. There are many mature themes, such as snogging (making out), various crushes, a few heartbreaks, a lot of bloody violence, many deaths, and some scary images. There is also a lot of alcohol mentioned, including Butterbeer, Firewhiskey, Oak-matured mead, and wine. Many adults get drunk in this book, which greatly impairs there judgement. On a better note, there are many good things about this book. There are many good role models, including but not limited to: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva Mcgonagall, and sometimes Ronald Weasley. Harry is brave and loyal, Hermione is smart and uses logic, Remus is a good overall figure, Dumbledore is loving and gentle, Minerva is the parental figure, and Ron is the loyal friend. Other positive messages include friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, wit, dealing with losses, heartbreak, and generosity. Overall, I rate this book five stars and say it is iffy for ages 12 and under.
Adult Written byTending Bloom April 9, 2008

Ties up some loose ends.

For me this book didn't have the same tone and fun that the others have. Harry seems to be a bit short with people that he never has been before. He also seems to be a bit single minded in the is book, especially toward Malfoy and Snape. I didn't like all the death in this one even though I understand why. It does tie up alot of the unanswered questions of the past books but leaves just as many still to be answered.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Perfect Book for All-Ages

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bynadnerb April 9, 2008

Best yet!

Outstanding. I love these books as much if not more than my children do. This one moves much quicker at the beginning than #4-5 did. However, in keeping with the development of the now-16-year-old main characters, the "snogging" scenes will be awkward to explain to my 10-year-old...
Adult Written bypooreme April 9, 2008

disturbingly sad!

I think this book is disturbingly sad, because one of the main characters is killed. There is alot of violence. Alot of pre-occupation with boyfriends/girlsfriend, kissing etc. The only reason I like the book is because I want to know how the series ends!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010
great
Adult Written byJediQueen April 9, 2008

Great but not for the younger kids.

I loved this book it was excellent, but unlike the first 4 this one was deffinitely not for kids. I think the plot and content would be way over any kid under 12's head anyway. Too much random make out sessions for kids, and it taught many 8 year olds the word slut. Not to mention the book is too depressing for the kiddies. Great book but not for yougsters.
Adult Written byBrij1234 March 13, 2015

Didn't like Ginny

I really didn't like that Ginny tells Ron off for being mad that she's passionately kissing her boyfriend in public. The author gives Ginny a few pages devoted to defending kissing. And she makes fun of Ron for never having kissed anyone before. She called him a 12 year old because of it and recommends he go kiss someone. Later in the book Ron gets a girlfriend and kisses and hugs her in public. I don't think kids should be encouraged to make out with people.
Adult Written bySmarie5488 April 9, 2008

YOU GOTTA READ IT!!

This book not only opens your mind to imagine, it feels like you are actually there. I would recommend this book to anyone over 10 years old. Before 10, I think it is risky because their imagination might make them think it is real.
Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008

Wonderful!

J.K. Rowling creates magic again with the second to last Harry Potter novel. Although much darker and more violent, the book benefits from the shift towards maturity as the characters age. However, it's hard to follow if you haven't recently reread at least the 5th book. Enjoyable (again) for adults and kids alike, it's definitely worth reading.
Parent Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

I Love The Harry Potter Series!

I have absolutely no idea why the people who rated this book said there was sex and drinking, because there really isn't. My daughter read this book when she was in fourth grade, and fell in love with it. There is lots of spying, laughing, and new spells to learn. I hope you read it soon, because it is amazing.
Adult Written bykitode April 9, 2008

COMING OF AGE BOOK! - be careful

Rowlings is really amazing to me as she creates a fantasy world that feels very safe to identify with. At the end of Book 4, there's the intellectual understanding that it's not so safe. By the end of Book 5, there's an emotional understanding that it's not so safe. But in Book 6, the kids really come of age. If your child feels that Harry is like an adult, this book might be okay (though I don't think they'd understand a lot of it). If your child feels like Harry is HIM, you might want to pre-screen. The book hurts.
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Interesting but...

OK. first of all, it was given lots of press coverage. i will say that it was well written. BUT the book does have some intense situations and a very descriptive death. and therer is mention of harry imagining ginny in 'situations' which i found rather unneccessary. not good for younger children or emotionally sensitive people. unneccessary killing, and earlier in the book there is mention of the sacrifice of children to the cause of lord voldemort. also, there is vivid description of the effects of a spell recklessly cast and harry didn't know what it did and just decided to cast it anyway. (what a loser.) and there is incessant mention of revenge at the end. revenge is not neccessary. loser.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2014
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2011

Hopeless Romantics, This is For YOU!

The sixth installment in the best-selling Harry Potter series mainly explores Voldemort's past. Characters also go on dates and kiss (British: snogging). The usual language. If you think this sounds boring, it's NOT!!! This book is a vital key to the series, and also includes a death of a main character.
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2011

PenUltimate

More violent violence, lots of kissing, and some drunken adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 4, 2010

Perfect for tweens.

I LOVE IT i thought it was the best book in the whole series. it was filled with drama, action, and romance all in 1.