All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

10+ or depending on maturity, no younger than 9.

I love this book. It's one of my favorites in the series. This one has one of the most deaths. It has many wars. And one scene where Dumbledore goes crazy, he also has to cut himself in order to enter a cave, and he falls off a tower. Mild language but i wouldnt worry about that. They kiss a lot, but come on they are teens in this book, teens kiss. I wouldnt count that as inaapropriate content.
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2011

Excellent Book, More Mature Than Previous Installments

This book is one of the strongest installments in the Harry Potter franchise, but it is also one of the most mature. There are many mature themes, such as snogging (making out), various crushes, a few heartbreaks, a lot of bloody violence, many deaths, and some scary images. There is also a lot of alcohol mentioned, including Butterbeer, Firewhiskey, Oak-matured mead, and wine. Many adults get drunk in this book, which greatly impairs there judgement. On a better note, there are many good things about this book. There are many good role models, including but not limited to: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva Mcgonagall, and sometimes Ronald Weasley. Harry is brave and loyal, Hermione is smart and uses logic, Remus is a good overall figure, Dumbledore is loving and gentle, Minerva is the parental figure, and Ron is the loyal friend. Other positive messages include friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, wit, dealing with losses, heartbreak, and generosity. Overall, I rate this book five stars and say it is iffy for ages 12 and under.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Perfect Book for All-Ages

Adult Written bytournhtid July 18, 2009

12+

This is a good book, does involve a bit of drinking and a few sexuall ineuendos in the book and movie. Lots of kissing and sexual tension/relationship tension between ron and hermione. As well as harry and ginny. Lavendar brown is protrayed as love obsessed, but in the end was poked fun at and deemed unhealthy which was good. The books are growing more intense and violent as they go. They are getting quite dark.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010

great
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 4, 2010

Perfect for tweens.

I LOVE IT i thought it was the best book in the whole series. it was filled with drama, action, and romance all in 1.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA August 23, 2009

INCREDIBLE book puts into perspective just how desperate the struggle against Voldemort really is.

Relationships bloom, the stakes are raised, and we begin to learn more about the enemy, while at the same time losing allies and gaining new and dangerous foes. What more could you ask from the penultimate book in the series? Nothing, as far as I am concerned. I could go on and on, but CSM has already said enough for me. This is a simply incredible book that I reccomend to everyone, so long as they've read the other 5. Read them. You won't regret it.
Adult Written bySmarie5488 April 9, 2008

YOU GOTTA READ IT!!

This book not only opens your mind to imagine, it feels like you are actually there. I would recommend this book to anyone over 10 years old. Before 10, I think it is risky because their imagination might make them think it is real.
Adult Written bynadnerb April 9, 2008

Best yet!

Outstanding. I love these books as much if not more than my children do. This one moves much quicker at the beginning than #4-5 did. However, in keeping with the development of the now-16-year-old main characters, the "snogging" scenes will be awkward to explain to my 10-year-old...
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Interesting but...

OK. first of all, it was given lots of press coverage. i will say that it was well written. BUT the book does have some intense situations and a very descriptive death. and therer is mention of harry imagining ginny in 'situations' which i found rather unneccessary. not good for younger children or emotionally sensitive people. unneccessary killing, and earlier in the book there is mention of the sacrifice of children to the cause of lord voldemort. also, there is vivid description of the effects of a spell recklessly cast and harry didn't know what it did and just decided to cast it anyway. (what a loser.) and there is incessant mention of revenge at the end. revenge is not neccessary. loser.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2014

Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2011

Hopeless Romantics, This is For YOU!

The sixth installment in the best-selling Harry Potter series mainly explores Voldemort's past. Characters also go on dates and kiss (British: snogging). The usual language. If you think this sounds boring, it's NOT!!! This book is a vital key to the series, and also includes a death of a main character.
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2011

PenUltimate

More violent violence, lots of kissing, and some drunken adults.
Kid, 9 years old October 31, 2010

This book is mild,but great at the same time.In the whole book,the action level goes up and down.
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2009

Good values and nothing very innapropriate.

Yes it is fairly violent, and there is some alcohol, and they are kissing each other a lot, but it has a very good message. It talks of courage, bravery, and friendship. Parents need not worry about this book, if 7 year olds decide they need to make out with someone, I would blame the parent.
Adult Written byTending Bloom April 9, 2008

Ties up some loose ends.

For me this book didn't have the same tone and fun that the others have. Harry seems to be a bit short with people that he never has been before. He also seems to be a bit single minded in the is book, especially toward Malfoy and Snape. I didn't like all the death in this one even though I understand why. It does tie up alot of the unanswered questions of the past books but leaves just as many still to be answered.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMedia45 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bykitode April 9, 2008

COMING OF AGE BOOK! - be careful

Rowlings is really amazing to me as she creates a fantasy world that feels very safe to identify with. At the end of Book 4, there's the intellectual understanding that it's not so safe. By the end of Book 5, there's an emotional understanding that it's not so safe. But in Book 6, the kids really come of age. If your child feels that Harry is like an adult, this book might be okay (though I don't think they'd understand a lot of it). If your child feels like Harry is HIM, you might want to pre-screen. The book hurts.
Teen, 14 years old Written byscarrymoviefan April 9, 2008

gooooooooooooooooooood

All of Rowling's books have been excellent and this one is no exception. I was a bit surprised at the amount of alcohol use (by adults).But as has been said, darker than the others. I didn't have a problem with the "snogging" or butterbeer (which does not appear to be an alcoholic beverage) or with the fact that adults do indulge in alcohol. I think, though, that the darker themes, increased violence and more complex personal issues do make this book better suited to kids 11 and up.
Adult Written bypooreme April 9, 2008

disturbingly sad!

I think this book is disturbingly sad, because one of the main characters is killed. There is alot of violence. Alot of pre-occupation with boyfriends/girlsfriend, kissing etc. The only reason I like the book is because I want to know how the series ends!