All teen and kid member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

10+ or depending on maturity, no younger than 9.

I love this book. It's one of my favorites in the series. This one has one of the most deaths. It has many wars. And one scene where Dumbledore goes crazy, he also has to cut himself in order to enter a cave, and he falls off a tower. Mild language but i wouldnt worry about that. They kiss a lot, but come on they are teens in this book, teens kiss. I wouldnt count that as inaapropriate content.
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2011

Excellent Book, More Mature Than Previous Installments

This book is one of the strongest installments in the Harry Potter franchise, but it is also one of the most mature. There are many mature themes, such as snogging (making out), various crushes, a few heartbreaks, a lot of bloody violence, many deaths, and some scary images. There is also a lot of alcohol mentioned, including Butterbeer, Firewhiskey, Oak-matured mead, and wine. Many adults get drunk in this book, which greatly impairs there judgement. On a better note, there are many good things about this book. There are many good role models, including but not limited to: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva Mcgonagall, and sometimes Ronald Weasley. Harry is brave and loyal, Hermione is smart and uses logic, Remus is a good overall figure, Dumbledore is loving and gentle, Minerva is the parental figure, and Ron is the loyal friend. Other positive messages include friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, wit, dealing with losses, heartbreak, and generosity. Overall, I rate this book five stars and say it is iffy for ages 12 and under.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Perfect Book for All-Ages

Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2014
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Interesting but...

OK. first of all, it was given lots of press coverage. i will say that it was well written. BUT the book does have some intense situations and a very descriptive death. and therer is mention of harry imagining ginny in 'situations' which i found rather unneccessary. not good for younger children or emotionally sensitive people. unneccessary killing, and earlier in the book there is mention of the sacrifice of children to the cause of lord voldemort. also, there is vivid description of the effects of a spell recklessly cast and harry didn't know what it did and just decided to cast it anyway. (what a loser.) and there is incessant mention of revenge at the end. revenge is not neccessary. loser.
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2011

Hopeless Romantics, This is For YOU!

The sixth installment in the best-selling Harry Potter series mainly explores Voldemort's past. Characters also go on dates and kiss (British: snogging). The usual language. If you think this sounds boring, it's NOT!!! This book is a vital key to the series, and also includes a death of a main character.
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2011

PenUltimate

More violent violence, lots of kissing, and some drunken adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 4, 2010

Perfect for tweens.

I LOVE IT i thought it was the best book in the whole series. it was filled with drama, action, and romance all in 1.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA August 23, 2009

INCREDIBLE book puts into perspective just how desperate the struggle against Voldemort really is.

Relationships bloom, the stakes are raised, and we begin to learn more about the enemy, while at the same time losing allies and gaining new and dangerous foes. What more could you ask from the penultimate book in the series? Nothing, as far as I am concerned. I could go on and on, but CSM has already said enough for me. This is a simply incredible book that I reccomend to everyone, so long as they've read the other 5. Read them. You won't regret it.
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2009

Good values and nothing very innapropriate.

Yes it is fairly violent, and there is some alcohol, and they are kissing each other a lot, but it has a very good message. It talks of courage, bravery, and friendship. Parents need not worry about this book, if 7 year olds decide they need to make out with someone, I would blame the parent.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMedia45 April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byscarrymoviefan April 9, 2008

gooooooooooooooooooood

All of Rowling's books have been excellent and this one is no exception. I was a bit surprised at the amount of alcohol use (by adults).But as has been said, darker than the others. I didn't have a problem with the "snogging" or butterbeer (which does not appear to be an alcoholic beverage) or with the fact that adults do indulge in alcohol. I think, though, that the darker themes, increased violence and more complex personal issues do make this book better suited to kids 11 and up.

i really liked this book

jk rowling is an awsome author and the harry potter bokks are awsome but this one probly had the worst ending and was not the best harry potter book so far
Teen, 14 years old Written byangelaangieang April 9, 2008
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! im a harry potter fanatic, and this is by far one of my favs. the violence doesnt bother me, it just makes it better, but i wouldnt recomend it for younger kids. especially where an important character dies. i cried at that part and i dont usally cry when i read. i cant wait till the next book!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Not my favorite HP book, but still excellent. As far as content goes, this book is often quite violent, dark, and even scary. Plus it's pretty long, but it's still probably appropriate for kids 11+

A must read! ( for people over 10)

I had a lot of fun reading this! I had no prob with the "snogging" or the alcohol consumption by adults, but it's the violence that is a small issue. A beloved character dies in this story, and the the description is quite livid. Nonetheless, it's an awesome book for tweens and teen alike.

ehhh...

I like the movies better than the books because the books are too long! This book though was really sad an violent. It also had alot of kissing and other stuff like that. It waskind of confusing to. All the other books/movies are confusing too. And I think the world is too obsessed with Harry Potter.My opinion I dont like the books but the movies are okay. They are still scary and gross because of all the blood and dead odies too.

11+? No way...

I was in Mexico when the sixth book was released, and being a huge Harry Potter fan, was extremely sad. I did manage to get it, though. Anyway, this is one of my favorite books of the series!!!! I've been predicting Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny for ages and I'm glad to see that it's finally happened. I think that this book is fine for practically all ages. A character dies in the end, and many people are upset about it, but it's not an extremely violent death. Younger kids may not understand the immortality and death parts of this. The kissing is ok too. It's not graphic at all and although it's implied that it happens a lot, it's only mentioned a few times.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

I cried!!!!!!!!!

I cried when Dumbledore dies. THE BOOKS WILL NOT BE AS GOOD WITHOUT DUMBLEDORE!!!

EVERY1 IGNORE POTTERPHANTOM

First and formost, I am Olivia. My other accounts on here are sweetlivi and livimaggie. I would just like to let ya'll know that potter phantom is a jerk. She shouldn't be going around calling people cuss words like she did me. Her comment should be deleted from here! Maybe even her account! No one desrves to be treated badly. Rate her comment as not helpful. Rate this one helpful! She hurt my feelings really bad. I almost cried! MAKE HER SEE HOW IT FEELS TO BE BULLIED!!!