Kid reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

10+ or depending on maturity, no younger than 9.

I love this book. It's one of my favorites in the series. This one has one of the most deaths. It has many wars. And one scene where Dumbledore goes crazy, he also has to cut himself in order to enter a cave, and he falls off a tower. Mild language but i wouldnt worry about that. They kiss a lot, but come on they are teens in this book, teens kiss. I wouldnt count that as inaapropriate content.

Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2011

Excellent Book, More Mature Than Previous Installments

This book is one of the strongest installments in the Harry Potter franchise, but it is also one of the most mature. There are many mature themes, such as snogging (making out), various crushes, a few heartbreaks, a lot of bloody violence, many deaths, and some scary images. There is also a lot of alcohol mentioned, including Butterbeer, Firewhiskey, Oak-matured mead, and wine. Many adults get drunk in this book, which greatly impairs there judgement. On a better note, there are many good things about this book. There are many good role models, including but not limited to: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, Albus Dumbledore, Minerva Mcgonagall, and sometimes Ronald Weasley. Harry is brave and loyal, Hermione is smart and uses logic, Remus is a good overall figure, Dumbledore is loving and gentle, Minerva is the parental figure, and Ron is the loyal friend. Other positive messages include friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, wit, dealing with losses, heartbreak, and generosity. Overall, I rate this book five stars and say it is iffy for ages 12 and under.

Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2009

violent, yet whimsical

Has all the violence kids crave, but of course, really shouldn't indulge in, and yet - it has an (obviously) magical feeling, filled with brave endeavours, clever spells, and haunting memories that send chills down your spine. Better for tweens+, but if smaller kids wanna give it a whirl, just let 'em.

Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2009

Best out of First 6

OK. I know i'm just a kid, but just kids read these books and think they're great. I looooove this one. I think it is the best out of the first 6 books, but the seventh in the series is definitely the best!! Read it!! chatterbox97
Teen, 14 years old Written byjazzyjammrz April 9, 2008

Harry at his best!

I am a huge Harry Potter fan. This is by far the best book. It's a book that's more aimed at teens, so people ten and up should read it. It is important to understand that Harry is growing up, so there are more teen issues, like dating and more language. It is a book of many layers, and any Harry Potter fan will certainly enjoy this book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Perfect Book for All-Ages

Teen, 15 years old Written byFantasyFiend12 October 10, 2009
This is a beautiful fantasy book with a genius plot and completely unexpected and in my mind brilliant end. A must read.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Not my favorite HP book, but still excellent. As far as content goes, this book is often quite violent, dark, and even scary. Plus it's pretty long, but it's still probably appropriate for kids 11+
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2011

Hopeless Romantics, This is For YOU!

The sixth installment in the best-selling Harry Potter series mainly explores Voldemort's past. Characters also go on dates and kiss (British: snogging). The usual language. If you think this sounds boring, it's NOT!!! This book is a vital key to the series, and also includes a death of a main character.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybandgeek342 April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byscarrymoviefan April 9, 2008

gooooooooooooooooooood

All of Rowling's books have been excellent and this one is no exception. I was a bit surprised at the amount of alcohol use (by adults).But as has been said, darker than the others. I didn't have a problem with the "snogging" or butterbeer (which does not appear to be an alcoholic beverage) or with the fact that adults do indulge in alcohol. I think, though, that the darker themes, increased violence and more complex personal issues do make this book better suited to kids 11 and up.
Teen, 16 years old Written byanimagic April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008

Interesting but...

OK. first of all, it was given lots of press coverage. i will say that it was well written. BUT the book does have some intense situations and a very descriptive death. and therer is mention of harry imagining ginny in 'situations' which i found rather unneccessary. not good for younger children or emotionally sensitive people. unneccessary killing, and earlier in the book there is mention of the sacrifice of children to the cause of lord voldemort. also, there is vivid description of the effects of a spell recklessly cast and harry didn't know what it did and just decided to cast it anyway. (what a loser.) and there is incessant mention of revenge at the end. revenge is not neccessary. loser.
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2010

Perfect, couldn't be better!

Definitely a bit on the dark side, but what do you expect? Harry and his friends are up to even more conspiracy and theories and we get to explore more of Dumbledore's point of view, too. Fantastic read.

Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2010

Perfect for 11+

I liked the book I think it encourages people to write a bit more. I rate this 11+ because of some of its violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byhp_is_awesome April 9, 2008

Amazing... as can be expected for Harry Potter!

MAJOR stuff happens in this book involving Harry's imminent defeat of Voldemort. This book is amazing and enthralling (as are all of the Harry Potter books). Every moment is entertaining and you want to read straight to the end. The book seems to gain momentum as Harry discover's more about Voldemort. Sexual content: tons and tons of kissing, but nothing any more serious than that. Drugs/alcohol: Slughorn and Hagrid get drunk (but it's a very funny scene). Violence: a lot near the end - such as Inferi, a potion that shows people their worst fears, wizard dueling, a character left scarred by a werewolf. Message: typical Harry Potter - very good message of love, friendship, and responsibility. CAN'T WAIT FOR MOVIE 6 <3
Teen, 14 years old Written bynumberdomino April 9, 2008

RonLIcious

This book is great esspecially the parts with Ron For my age but mabye not for young readers like the snogging but it is great for teens but the whole book is good for 10ish and up
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2014

Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2012

Is it a great movie?

This movie is a very good film for Harry Potter fans, like me! This film isn't trashy at all except for the violence amount in it. Characters are being killed on towers, a house catches on fire, and characters turn evil, characters are given bloody noses, and lots of minor violence. Nothing horrible. 5 Stars!!!! :)

Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2011

PenUltimate

More violent violence, lots of kissing, and some drunken adults.