All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma January 3, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA August 23, 2009

INCREDIBLE book puts into perspective just how desperate the struggle against Voldemort really is.

Relationships bloom, the stakes are raised, and we begin to learn more about the enemy, while at the same time losing allies and gaining new and dangerous foes. What more could you ask from the penultimate book in the series? Nothing, as far as I am concerned. I could go on and on, but CSM has already said enough for me. This is a simply incredible book that I reccomend to everyone, so long as they've read the other 5. Read them. You won't regret it.
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2009

Good values and nothing very innapropriate.

Yes it is fairly violent, and there is some alcohol, and they are kissing each other a lot, but it has a very good message. It talks of courage, bravery, and friendship. Parents need not worry about this book, if 7 year olds decide they need to make out with someone, I would blame the parent.
Adult Written byte_quiero_mas April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byscarrymoviefan April 9, 2008

All of Rowling's books have been excellent and this one is no exception. I was a bit surprised at the amount of alcohol use (by adults).But as has been said, darker than the others. I didn't have a problem with the "snogging" or butterbeer (which does not appear to be an alcoholic beverage) or with the fact that adults do indulge in alcohol. I think, though, that the darker themes, increased violence and more complex personal issues do make this book better suited to kids 11 and up.
Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

Good Book

Interesting, best book in series. It is well-written and good for kids over the age of 10.
Adult Written byBL April 9, 2008

I can't believe it -- JKR has done it again! I just finished reading "HP and the Half-Blood Prince" and it was absolutely brilliant. The characters, the story, the ENDING, I cannot express how wonderful this book was to read. My only concern is how I am going to wait for Book 7...I hope she does not take a year to write it and finish this magical story. JKR is absolutely the best!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMedia45 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byaustinbond April 9, 2008

A delightful sequel to the world acclaimed series...

I can't wait for book 7!

i really liked this book

jk rowling is an awsome author and the harry potter bokks are awsome but this one probly had the worst ending and was not the best harry potter book so far
Adult Written bydego-1 April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byangelaangieang April 9, 2008
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! im a harry potter fanatic, and this is by far one of my favs. the violence doesnt bother me, it just makes it better, but i wouldnt recomend it for younger kids. especially where an important character dies. i cried at that part and i dont usally cry when i read. i cant wait till the next book!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Not my favorite HP book, but still excellent. As far as content goes, this book is often quite violent, dark, and even scary. Plus it's pretty long, but it's still probably appropriate for kids 11+

A must read! ( for people over 10)

I had a lot of fun reading this! I had no prob with the "snogging" or the alcohol consumption by adults, but it's the violence that is a small issue. A beloved character dies in this story, and the the description is quite livid. Nonetheless, it's an awesome book for tweens and teen alike.

I like the movies better than the books because the books are too long! This book though was really sad an violent. It also had alot of kissing and other stuff like that. It waskind of confusing to. All the other books/movies are confusing too. And I think the world is too obsessed with Harry Potter.My opinion I dont like the books but the movies are okay. They are still scary and gross because of all the blood and dead odies too.

11+? No way...

I was in Mexico when the sixth book was released, and being a huge Harry Potter fan, was extremely sad. I did manage to get it, though. Anyway, this is one of my favorite books of the series!!!! I've been predicting Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny for ages and I'm glad to see that it's finally happened. I think that this book is fine for practically all ages. A character dies in the end, and many people are upset about it, but it's not an extremely violent death. Younger kids may not understand the immortality and death parts of this. The kissing is ok too. It's not graphic at all and although it's implied that it happens a lot, it's only mentioned a few times.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

One of the bestest books ever!!!

This book is a great one! I suggfest it to 8+. The kissing, or "snogging", as they call it, does not bother me in the slightest. In fact, I've been waiting for these realtionships to come up (not saying who - you'll ahve to read it to find out)! The violence doesn't bother me, either, but younger kids might be scared. The reason it is 8+ and not 4+ is solely because of the violence. I finished this book in 1 1/2 days (I'm a bookworm) and I started reading the first book in kindergarden!!
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

I cried!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 9 years old October 31, 2010
This book is mild,but great at the same time.In the whole book,the action level goes up and down.