All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

I loved it!!

I loved this book. It may not be suitable for readers who have trouble with longer or tougher books, because it is extremely long, but I loved every page. Can't wait for Deathly Hallows, and hope Harry and Gin get back together!!
Adult Written bybethhoule June 9, 2015

I Love The Harry Potter Series!

I have absolutely no idea why the people who rated this book said there was sex and drinking, because there really isn't. My daughter read this book when she was in fourth grade, and fell in love with it. There is lots of spying, laughing, and new spells to learn. I hope you read it soon, because it is amazing.
Adult Written byBrij1234 March 13, 2015

Didn't like Ginny

I really didn't like that Ginny tells Ron off for being mad that she's passionately kissing her boyfriend in public. The author gives Ginny a few pages devoted to defending kissing. And she makes fun of Ron for never having kissed anyone before. She called him a 12 year old because of it and recommends he go kiss someone. Later in the book Ron gets a girlfriend and kisses and hugs her in public. I don't think kids should be encouraged to make out with people.
Kid, 8 years old January 16, 2015

The best thing ever!!!

It has a lot of violence . Very exciting. Don't read this if you get upset when people die. It is really good though. It has a lot of kissing and stuff. But think it's awesome!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byoliviakennedy October 31, 2014

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Into the memories Dumbledore and Harry Potter go to explore Voldemort. Horcruxes and plot twists make the book fun and an adventure to read. J.K. Rowling makes you so attached to the characters that you will shed a tear with each death. Please do not read this book if you haven't read the other books in the series, if you do it will make no sense.
Kid, 10 years old July 6, 2014

Awesome Book, Now Stop Shielding Kids, CSM

Again, I must say, really CSM? Stop underestimating kids' maturity levels! I read the HBP when I was eight years old. Yes, there's some violence, but nothing more than a Percy Jackson book. And there's no more flirting than a Victorious episode. Not too educational, but it is very thick (inspiring reluctant readers to try it out), and you may come across a new word. All characters are well rounded, clever, quick, brave, and self-sacrificing. And yes, there are video games, but by the time kids are 8 or so, they should have a way to make some of their own money. Just give it a chance, parents.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2014

Great book, loved it!

This book is extremely good, couldn't get my eyes off of it. Although the book is pretty long, your attention span doesn't seem to run out. There is a little more romance than other books in the harry potter series.
Kid, 12 years old November 13, 2013

Great book

I read it a while ago and thought it was very good. It explained almost everything about voldemort and his past.
Kid, 9 years old July 25, 2013

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2013

Do I have to give this review a title?

STOP SCROLLING! SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE. Move along, now.
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2013

Read this Book

We are now travelling into Voldemort's past, to see how the handsome young boy you saw as Tom Riddle became the murderous Lord Voldemort (anything but handsome). A true page turner, and darker than the ones before it. ALERT: Ron does some public snogging, which is why I recommend this for older tweens and up. It is still really good, and goes uphill for action.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 December 30, 2012

Pretty good second-to-last book

While not as good as "Order of The Phoenix", this is still a really good book. I think it's too long, but I still like it. There is some violence (more than the first book), and some mentions of blood, but it's not too gruesome. One important character is killed. Sex is just some kissing (or "snogging"-which is equivalent to "making out") and some characters start to become jealous and fight for other's affections. Language is rare and mild; just stuff like "d*mn" or "h*ll" maybe once or twice. There's some drinking mentioned.
Kid, 12 years old August 20, 2012

Powerful and emotional book about Voldemorts past.

Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2012

Is it a great movie?

This movie is a very good film for Harry Potter fans, like me! This film isn't trashy at all except for the violence amount in it. Characters are being killed on towers, a house catches on fire, and characters turn evil, characters are given bloody noses, and lots of minor violence. Nothing horrible. 5 Stars!!!! :)
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2012

11 and up my butt!! (Sorry CSM!)

More Violence than the past put together. This is my favorite. I am a little embarrassed to type this but, I just had to (A LITTLE SPOILER!! I hate myself for this! Look away if you haven't read this yet!) squeal when Harry Kissed Ginny! (Another Spoiler! I am slapping myself right now.) When Dumbledoor died, it left my mouth flung open! The skeletons WILL creep out the youngsters. And when Dumbledoor is dying.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2012

I liked it

I really liked this book, as well as the other Harry Potter books. They were really good. I think that it definitely impacted me and my attitude. I realized that if Harry could take on living with no parents, like many other children do, I could deal with having to do chores.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic June 3, 2012

Great Book - with action and some violence

Brilliant sixth book goes deeper into Voldemort's past. Storyline is more complex and the vocabulary is too. Young readers might need some guidance.
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2012

harry potter 6

harry potter is an amazing carictar who is a joy there is lots of romantic ness in the last 2 books but its defininly anazing
Teen, 13 years old Written by291643853 March 2, 2012

Best Book Ever

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is the sixth novel in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Set during Harry Potter's 6th year at Hogwarts, Voldemort is definitely back and with a vengeance. Harry finds his world is yet again changing. Wizards and witches and Muggles are dying despite the efforts of the Ministry of Magic and the Order of the Phoenix to stop them. The war is back on. Despite the danger, Harry and his best friends, Ron and Hermione, reunite and return to the familiar life of Hogwarts for their 6th year. They find yet another Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher; Professor Snape. They begin their N.E.W.T. classes in preparation for life after Hogwarts, and Harry gets some much needed Potions help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince. Quidditch is as popular as ever, Harry is nominated Gryffindor Quidditch Captain, and he finds himself reforming his team. As well, this book sees the introduction ever-popular Slug Club, along with the appointment of a new Potions teacher, Horace Slughorn. Romance again comes to Hogwarts, and is a welcome balance to the grim happenings elsewhere. Harry deeply questions his own feelings for Ginny Weasley, Ron's younger sister, while trying to understand the effect it is having on his friends. Yet while life at Hogwarts continues, the deaths also continue, with someone trying to bring it into Hogwarts. Danger seems to lurk around every corner, and Harry is as determined as ever to unmask it. Albus Dumbledore takes Harry under his guidance and together they explore Lord Voldemort's past, to find a way to stop him before it is too late. Ultimately, Harry finds he must accept what he must do as The Chosen One against Voldemort and choose between what is right, and what is easy. When it was released on 16 July, 2005, it was the first book in the United Kingdom to have a simultaneous standard print, large print, and Braille edition release. Within the first 24 hours, the book sold 6.9 million copies in the U.S. alone, roughly moving 250,000 an hour, making it the fastest selling book in history. It generated more than $100 million in sales out of the gate, outpacing even the combined take of the top films at the box office. Bookseller Barnes and Noble reported sales averaging 105 copies per second in the first hour of sales.