All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2011

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER!!!
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2011
a good book for your avid readers parents.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater November 27, 2010

Intense is one good word to describe this one.

Man, this one is good, but intense. There are scenes in the book where I had to put it down, because it was so scary. The story on this one is; Harry is one is pretty much this: Harry is now 16, and on his sixth year at Hogwarts. His friends are stronger than ever, and still the fact that only Harry can kill Voldamort. The one who lived is ready to kill Voldamort. THe battle begins, that we all knew was going to happen since he first stepped in to Hogwarts. But Harry still isn't ready to understand that his friends are willing to risk his life for him. The violence includes curses sent at students (one leaving a student have dead, with blood pouring out of his body. There is talk about killing, and a kid is abused by his father. A giant battle happens, and many people die, (not main characters.) The sex includes kissing (or snogging as said in the book.) MIld flirting, and that's about it. There is a huge death in the end that is so sad and beautiful. The character is like a father to Harry, and whats so scary about it, it is implying that even adults can be hurt or killed. The scene will make you cry, and the funeral is even more sweet. J.k. Rowling as also grown as a writer. The writing is good, and the book has a lot of layers added to it. This is the best one yet, (haven't read book 7 yet, the movie looks good, and the movie of this one was also good. Can't wait to read the last one, kind of sad that it's the last though.) Over all I recommend this for ages 10 and up (maybe even 11 and up, depending what emotion level your kids at) LOved this one, and enjoy!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykoohrus33 November 11, 2010
Its a great book that anyone can enjoy. Nice and funny as well.
Kid, 11 years old October 28, 2010

Sad... but suspenseful and awesome!

Common sense media needs to add a thing to their reviewing thing that says how sad the book is. It's interesting though, seeing Voldemort's past, as Tom Riddle. When I finished this book (today) I was reading it all day. Very suspenseful, detailed and all around wonderful. Great job J.K Rowling!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMASSICLIKPERCYJ... September 21, 2010

ok

THE LEGEND OF ME :) my best friend is such a harry! I <3 MALON
Kid, 10 years old August 29, 2010
Terrible book, very brief action. Skip it and see the movie instead
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2010

Sad end, nobody can tell about Harry's future, Dumbledore's death... but also positive messages

I hate the kissing scenes in the book. The end of the book was so sad because of Dumbledore's death and because of his, also sad, funeral. But there are a lot of positive messages, as always. Dumbledore is a great role model, because he is always kind, never shouts and because he is wise. He says the love is more powerful than every magic, he told Harry: You have a power that lord Voldemort hasn't got. It's a love.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian_girl May 10, 2010

Excuse Me, Fellow Writers, But I Think We're Forgetting Something

You're all dodging the subject! If you want to write a review on how GOOD something is, there are other places to do it. This is CommonSense Media, where we tell others how clean something is, how much language is in it, and how violent it is. You don't rate a kid-safe movie "OFF for 17" just because you don't like it. Though it's a great book, Ms. Rowling about crossed the line a few times and all you seem to be able to say is, "This is 2 grate! I luv HP!" Maybe that's just because public schools forget to teach you how to spell because they're embedded in a good book. This one. Readers, I'm not going to give you a big long speech about the quality of this novel, everyone else has taken care of that for me. I'm going to give you a big long speech about the kid-safety of this novel. That's what we should care about. Don't worry, I won't give away any important plot points without warning, unlike everybody else who gave away the ending at the start of their review. First and foremost, I'd like to address Ron's attitude. It's been set on fire and rolled downhill. Ron's always been the comic relief and he's still as funny as ever. That's what scares me. Children all over the world think he's hilarious, which is true, and now they want to copy their favorite character's suddenly rash behavior. Well, maybe "rash" isn't the word. At one point, Ron thinks Harry is making fun of him then Harry turns around and starts to walk out of the room. All of a sudden, Harry feels a sharp pain on the back of his head. He turns to see Ron with his fist held back getting ready for another go. He doesn't take another go, but one time is bad enough. Even worse, one of Ron's other friends is making fun of him and Ron tosses a knife in his direction. With a flick of the wand, the knife turns into a paper airplane just before it hits the guy in the head. Ron seemed a little disappointed. He got over it but never apologized. There are a few instances where Ron makes a "rude hand gesture." It's true, read when they're on the Hogwarts Express! There's also a reference to Malfoy making a "rude hand gesture." Even Peeves (a ghost at Hogwarts who loves teasing people) once made "obscene hand gestures" as he floated out of the room. A minor character calls a woman something that just wasn't right. Nothing I just mentioned was in the movie, everything else I'll say was. There's a LOOOOOOOOOT of kissing. As you've already guessed, this book has a very dark theme to it. One part scared me to death when I was younger. Of course, I was reading at night... and I was already afraid of getting caught... Look, I've learned my lesson, okay? Uh... ahem. What was I talking about? Oh, yeah. The kids drink butterbeer as always. Yep, it's a cross between butter and beer which makes it alcoholic. The trio does it sometimes to relax, I don't get it. I know they don't have the same drinking rules in England but I don't think it makes a difference. Even adults shouldn't drink and apparate. (Sorry, I couldn't resist! They could lose a leg in the process if they did, though.) This time, the kids drink a real-world drink, mead. At 16. Not a good message. ***SPOILER*** Please, people, don't fuss about the Felix Felicis. It's a magical potion, not a drink. I'll let you fuss about love potions. They make me nauseous, too. Whoever came up with that idea a few thousand years ago was insane, though it can make for a good story when it's not overly mushy. ***SPOILER OVER*** All you writers may have your own reasons for mistaking the purposes of this website. Maybe you didn't write about this because you don't think it's that bad. That's fine. Maybe you forgot because you haven't read the book in a while. That's fine. I was having a bit of a hard time publishing this because, frankly, I'm a little embarassed to have finished the book. That's fine. Though we keep forgetting something: it's not as important to like something as it is for that something to be clean and for you to warn others when something isn't. That's why all our media is tainted with dirty jokes and PG movies that should be PG-13. They don't pay any attention to the world's children. No one complains for fear of being rude. Sometimes you have to be rude to be polite. Kids don't know not to act bad, they're just "ashamed" to do it around their parents. I call this an excuse for a guilty conscience when they're not sure why they have one. If you do something as a kid, the habit may get worse over the years. The more I write, and I've been writing a while, the more I'm convinced I need to warn you all. Sorry, parents. HP has been upgraded to iffy for 13+.
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2010

Perfect, couldn't be better!

Definitely a bit on the dark side, but what do you expect? Harry and his friends are up to even more conspiracy and theories and we get to explore more of Dumbledore's point of view, too. Fantastic read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 14, 2010

A bit of everything.

Romance, action, adventure, HBP has everything! Things that may disturb kids or upset parents are: The wise old loved wizard, Dumbledore is killed by another teacher, Ron spends his time snogging a girl he doesn't even like while Hermione weeps over it. Yet, the messages of love and friendship are still strong and the story is great.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2010

a really good book

A really,really good book in a good series!!!!! It totally enjoyed it. There is a lot of teenage romance, but there is also a lot of excitement and violent. A really good book!!! Just a little violence and some swearing and that almost makes the writing better.
Kid, 12 years old March 1, 2010

Good book, but lots of romance that may be inappropriate under 12.

This book equals the seventh in content, but the story is much better. The violence is decreased from the seventh, however it is still slightly bloody in parts, but nothing too graphic. The main problem, besides the swearing, is the sexual content, which has peaked at book six: there is frequent kissing, discussions about the other sex, and lots of mild references mixed with romantic humor. But all of it is appropriate for about 12+
Teen, 16 years old Written byMeggieF January 12, 2010

One of my favorites!

One of my favorites!
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2010

chicks luv this book!!!

OMG luv this book and it is like the best book!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old January 6, 2010

about 6 is good

I am a little worried about sex but not thst bad.
Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2010

Perfect for 11+

I liked the book I think it encourages people to write a bit more. I rate this 11+ because of some of its violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykingmonkey December 9, 2009

Good book

I have to say this was a good book, although the scene where harry and dumbledore were in the cave was a little over the top for a children book. usually don't read big books but i am a big fan of the series.
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2009

violent, yet whimsical

Has all the violence kids crave, but of course, really shouldn't indulge in, and yet - it has an (obviously) magical feeling, filled with brave endeavours, clever spells, and haunting memories that send chills down your spine. Better for tweens+, but if smaller kids wanna give it a whirl, just let 'em.
Kid, 10 years old December 5, 2009

good for tweens or older

i read it when i was 9 years old its the best harry potter book i think