All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Powerful penultimate book mines Voldemort's past.

Teen, 15 years old Written byaclikespie April 9, 2008

This book is fine on issues, but is not a good book.

I haven't been impressed with any of JK Rowlings work, noting a lack of charector devolpment, lose plot strings, and a bit of cheesy stuff in it. I'm say about nine and up in age. Nine year olds are aware that kissing exists. The fact that love isn't always perfect might come to a bit more of a surprise to them. If you've got a smart child over the age of thirteen and all they read is Harry Potter they might want to find some better written and plotted books. The only thing amazing about Harry Potter in a whole is the fact it's got the world back into reading. The worst thing is that it's about a commericail and pop culture as it gets.

AWESOME!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

Yes, I do read books...

I will probably receive many harsh arguments against this review and its lack of five stars, but here goes... As the sixth installment in the series, I find that the earlier books are better than the newer, and I tend to reread those instead. I can confirm that this trend is continuing, as this new installment gives us a somewhat minimal plot, the main point being the origin of Voldemort, and a weak twist involving the Half-Blood Prince that most will easily predict. The main complaint is just that: the twist is poor, and the book hyped up the Half-Blood Prince in the story that I was highly dissapointed when all the character was was someone who wrote in Harry's potion's book. That, and the fact that I think the whole snogging and Ginny things were bascially a weak attempt to evolve the cahracters. However, the writing is still well-done, and the book leaves wanting more (thought that could be because Prince gives you little in the first place). All-in-all, it was okay.
Adult Written byFayth07 April 9, 2008

I LOVE IT

I liked this book because of the background information that was given on dear Professor Snape...he's a tricky character, and I can't wait to see what goes down between Potter and Snape in the last book because JK hinted at we'd have to keep an eye on dear Snape. However, the death in this book was disturbing to me. But even the best fall down sometimes.

BEST HP!!!!!!!!!

I love this book! It's the best of all the Harry Potter books. There's a little too much romance (yes, Ron has a girlfriend) amd a lot of kissing which kind of brought the book down a little. But when you get to the ending all of that is put aside. The ending is very sad and all HP book and movie fans will be upset. But it's still the greatest HP book of all! I CAN"T WAIT TIL THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Although there getting violenter they are still good

I give this book an 11+ rating.

This is a great book. It may not be for younger children, though. There are many deaths, and one very heartbreaking. It describes one death intensly. There is some language. There are kids drinking alcohol. There is lots and lots of kissing. Despite all of this, I loved the book. I especially loved learning about the Horcruxes and Voldemort's past. I cannot wait until the movie version of this book comes out!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysingingsuperstar2120 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bykkzozo987 April 9, 2008

She is still going!!(j.k)

This book is one of the best bookes in the seaires! Others may diagrie but i like it the best although the 4th and 5th were good! I am still wating for my mom to finsh the 7th one! But u just have to read this one! I will garente this will be good!!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A must read book for those whom can understand (read the books in order)

Teen, 16 years old Written byfrodolover April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written bywii April 9, 2008
great book better than the fifth but sad yep the ending is very sad but great book i can't wate til the last book
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

Exciting book, (may not be suitable for kids under 11)

In this book there is a death of a major character, caused by one of Harry's villains. There is lots of fighting in this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjazzyjammrz April 9, 2008

Harry at his best!

I am a huge Harry Potter fan. This is by far the best book. It's a book that's more aimed at teens, so people ten and up should read it. It is important to understand that Harry is growing up, so there are more teen issues, like dating and more language. It is a book of many layers, and any Harry Potter fan will certainly enjoy this book!

I read this at the age of 10...

By the way, PotterPhantom, please stop. You're hurting people, and Lord of the Rings IS better than Harry Potter. Anyway, at 10 the snogging didn't bother me, nor did the violence (though I pretty much cried when __________ died). It's true that the plot gets much more complicated in this book (with some fabulous red herrings, foreshadowing, and connections back to older books) and it may be hard for some to follow. On the other hand, for any real Potter fan that's been reading since 5 or 6 (like me) it shouldn't be too hard -- you're already predicting at a young age, and you've been exposed to plot twists as a little kid. Plus, kids are much smarter than adults think they are, and I know that I could have gotten this book at 8 or 9. Come on, give us credit. This book is fine for 9+, although is probably best for 10 or 11+. It's amazingly written, my favorite so far, and I can't wait till Deathly Hallows!