All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 0 years old September 28, 2009

Great, Dark, Mystical and Funny--If your Child is Up for it.

I do hold the belief that J.K Rowling should be ranked right up there with William Shakespeare on the "Measurements of Brilliant Literature" scale. With her tale focusing on a boy whose SCAR is a symbol of wonder, Rowling manages to make her own writing style without making it seem...deranged. She has indeed disproved the old stereotype of "British humor", as each novel--as far as I have read--has more than one hilarious moment in them. Some may seem slightly gross, but appear to be only so in movie format, as the author is polite enough not to go into detail. The book series DOES, however, have a recurring theme of violence, but only when necessary, or when merely to the readers pleasure (because we all wanted Draco to get punched in the face by Hermione. Admit it.) For example, one book features a large snake-like monster (that I wouldn't happen to remember the specific term for at the moment), which is brought down by Harry when he shoves a sword into the roof of its mouth, but again, it never goes into bloody detail. Another concern is that the Defense against the Dark Arts teachers are practically their universe's version of the Red shirts--that makes sense if you watch Star Trek--because they are usually only for the job once, but I do recall that only one died, the other one was fired, and I still haven't finished the third. (Perhaps he quit?) Anyway, the "Harry Potter" series is a fun and unique ride to take with your children without regretting--so saying, if you believe they're ready for EVER SO SLIGHT violence.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMeggieF January 12, 2010

One of my favorites!

One of my favorites! I could read it over and over again!
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011

I adore the entire series and love the educational value and positive messages as well as the role model's decisions in the books. There are a few small british obscenities throughout the series (prat, git, stupid idiot) as well as a few swear words as the book series progress (d-m, h-ll, b-ch,a-s) but very brief. Educational value in the sense that study habits are very good by the main characters (Hermione) Two or three instances where characters have heated wand battles and a few injuries are described in detail. A few places where kissing is described and happens and in one place a boy comments about how many children Ronald's mom has, in an almost sexual way.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygold2 February 25, 2011
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlinaW. November 19, 2010

Great book for endless fun!

I've read this book many times, and for good reason! Like Common Sense says, this book really does respect kids intelligence . . . I was read it aloud when I was about 6, and my friends and I were immersed in that fantasy, we would play Harry Potter games, and I enjoyed being read a little more every night . . . I'm 15 now, and I still fondly remember it, which tells you something. I've read almost the whole series now, and am going to see the new movie (Deathly Hallows Part 1) Although the books are much better then the movies, I would definitely recommend the first book to read aloud to your 6, 7, or 8 year old, after that, I think kids will love reading a little each night, sometimes on their own, sometimes being read to. The first time around, it was a little scary in some parts, but more intreguing and fascinating the second time. Now I consider it a favourite that I'll pick up in a pinch of nothing to read, or to curl up with on a rainy day. The books get more intense as the series goes on, but nothing a mature kid can't handle. Read 'em!
Kid, 10 years old November 21, 2009

perfect for people that can read well

i love it! its been a family book for a while. there is a little violence but thats mainly when they break a rule. but for a good reason like saving someone. it has good role models. each character has their own personality which i like. i started reading them when i was five and i loved them ever sense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Base

It’s the start of the phenomenon! The start of the midnight parties and crazed fans! It’s the beginning of the Harry Potter generation! In Sorcerers Stone, young Harry is rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt uncle and proves his worth in a universe he was completely oblivious to; a universe where he’s legend! Thought the weakest in the series, Sorcerers Stone won’t disappoint. A book for all ages!
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2010

A MUST READ!!!!!!

I LOVE this book! I am a Christian who believes in Jesus and I don't think that this book has too much witchcraft in it. They are different witches than in real life. There are no sacrifices of any kind or anything else that is similar! GREAT BOOK!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2011

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Harry Potter Series is outstanding. I love spending a cold afternoon reading it. Its educational and it taught me many new words, it shows good positive messages, and it showed good role models. Harry, Ron, and Hermione never gave up and showed courage and that you need to try harder and harder. I do not recommend this book to smaller children because these books are HUGE and it'll probably scare them and think that it's all real (mostly like 2 year olds).
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2011

Educational as always, THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!

A little violent and scary but less scarier than the movie and very AWESOME!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2011

Read it!!!!!

I love it! Beautiful start to an amazing story. I recommend it to children of all ages, and adults also. My mom refuses to read it (lol) and therefore think's it's weird. But it's not. It's a book about magic and adventure and love and caring and many other good aspects. It's not scary in the least bit! If your child is, say, three or four, yes, it's scary. But nine? He/she could handle it. My younger brother, who is eight, read this book and the whole series. Now, maybe the whole series was a little too much. But the first book is absolutely fine. The children are inspiring, and the adults are whimsical. A book for all ages.
Teen, 15 years old Written byurbanrunner460 July 30, 2010

Is super fun to read TO you kids (bonding moments!)

I have literally grown up with the magical world of Harry Potter books, and I can honestly say they have instilled in me a love of reading! If there was no Harry Potter, I would have never begged my mom to bring me to the bookstore and I wouldn't have become as good a reader. I still reread the series each year because I pick up on something new ever time I read!
Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2011

Phenomonal Beggining!!!

Not really bad at all...
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 1, 2011

Harry Potter– the start to something HUGE.

This novel is the one that set the entire series of Harry Potter on its adventure. Harry, a boy children will easily relate to, comes to be a part of a magical world that will have every reader wishing to visit. Now, this book has had its criticism for being satanic. This is not the case. Yes, the school is called "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," but the witchcraft means using magic (by means of wands that are as essential to a wizard as clothes are to muggles) in practical, every-day ways. Pentagrams are not even mentioned, nor is the devil, or anything relating to occultism. There is a fair share of violence, but it's relatively low. As the series progresses, the violence gets worse, but this is only the first novel. Hardly any sex at all (if any), and the language severity is limited to British humor. Kids will learn lessons about friendship, as well. Ron and Hermione are true friends to Harry, and by reading this book I learned which friends to keep and which friendships to identify as unhealthy (when I was younger). It's a fantastic start to a series that I love dearly.
Parent Written bykmarkman February 21, 2011

Magic

If you want magic and friendship together then get it immediately.
Educator Written byilanabit April 9, 2008

Great Family Reading

Boys and girls with a keen sense of adventure will love reading this and the rest of the Harry Potter books. With smaller kids, aged 5 - 7, this is a great place to start reading chapter books out loud with them. For older kids, they'll love the characters and story-lines so much, they'll make the extra effort to get through the books themselves.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymrscottoncandy14 June 30, 2011

J.K. Rowling couldn't have done better

I read this when I was in second grade and got hooked. I think it is why I became such an engrossed reader, why I love reading so much, and led me to become a smarter person. This book will let young independent readers start on their journeys through books.
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2011

its a jigsaw

Suspense and discovery.Its just wonderful!
Adult Written byunknown person June 2, 2011

A must read

Amazing satisfying, this book is the enchanting start of this acclaimed series. A national phenomenon. Only a slight amount of violence, and parent guidance is only needed for any curse words. This book is amazing.
Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2010

Fast Reader... O_O

Finished it in TWO NIGHTS...NOT kidding. found the D Word and there WAS SOME talking about drinking...I think, i don't know, i have a bad memory...But i LOVED the book havent read the others yet, but when i do...I'll tell you what i thought ;)