All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 0 years old September 28, 2009

Great, Dark, Mystical and Funny--If your Child is Up for it.

I do hold the belief that J.K Rowling should be ranked right up there with William Shakespeare on the "Measurements of Brilliant Literature" scale. With her tale focusing on a boy whose SCAR is a symbol of wonder, Rowling manages to make her own writing style without making it seem...deranged. She has indeed disproved the old stereotype of "British humor", as each novel--as far as I have read--has more than one hilarious moment in them. Some may seem slightly gross, but appear to be only so in movie format, as the author is polite enough not to go into detail. The book series DOES, however, have a recurring theme of violence, but only when necessary, or when merely to the readers pleasure (because we all wanted Draco to get punched in the face by Hermione. Admit it.) For example, one book features a large snake-like monster (that I wouldn't happen to remember the specific term for at the moment), which is brought down by Harry when he shoves a sword into the roof of its mouth, but again, it never goes into bloody detail. Another concern is that the Defense against the Dark Arts teachers are practically their universe's version of the Red shirts--that makes sense if you watch Star Trek--because they are usually only for the job once, but I do recall that only one died, the other one was fired, and I still haven't finished the third. (Perhaps he quit?) Anyway, the "Harry Potter" series is a fun and unique ride to take with your children without regretting--so saying, if you believe they're ready for EVER SO SLIGHT violence.
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011

I adore the entire series and love the educational value and positive messages as well as the role model's decisions in the books. There are a few small british obscenities throughout the series (prat, git, stupid idiot) as well as a few swear words as the book series progress (d-m, h-ll, b-ch,a-s) but very brief. Educational value in the sense that study habits are very good by the main characters (Hermione) Two or three instances where characters have heated wand battles and a few injuries are described in detail. A few places where kissing is described and happens and in one place a boy comments about how many children Ronald's mom has, in an almost sexual way.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMeggieF January 12, 2010

One of my favorites!

One of my favorites! I could read it over and over again!
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2010

A MUST READ!!!!!!

I LOVE this book! I am a Christian who believes in Jesus and I don't think that this book has too much witchcraft in it. They are different witches than in real life. There are no sacrifices of any kind or anything else that is similar! GREAT BOOK!!!!!
Adult Written byGregorius the Brown January 5, 2012

Massively Overrated

Adult Written byunknown person June 2, 2011

A must read

Amazing satisfying, this book is the enchanting start of this acclaimed series. A national phenomenon. Only a slight amount of violence, and parent guidance is only needed for any curse words. This book is amazing.
Parent Written by2girlsDad February 12, 2012

Good for sensitive 7-year-old

I read this out loud to my seven-year old daughter who is very sensitive to anything too scary. She absolutely adored the book and immediately insisted on reading book 2 and beyond (we're just starting book 3 and I came to this site to find out it would be too much for her to handle). It's suspenseful without being frightening, and humorous, especially at the beginning. The book was a good vocabulary builder and she would learn new words and sayings from it without it being overly complex or wordy.
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2011

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Harry Potter Series is outstanding. I love spending a cold afternoon reading it. Its educational and it taught me many new words, it shows good positive messages, and it showed good role models. Harry, Ron, and Hermione never gave up and showed courage and that you need to try harder and harder. I do not recommend this book to smaller children because these books are HUGE and it'll probably scare them and think that it's all real (mostly like 2 year olds).
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygold2 February 25, 2011
Kid, 9 years old July 15, 2010

Just a Beginning

You will like it, but wait until you read the others. This is just the beginning. In my year in third grade, there was a bunch of kids who went against the Harry Potter books. Don't make the mistake they made, do yourself a favor…and READ it!
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 8 year old Written bykristyn April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2015

A successful page-turner!

Harry Potter is a boy that is anything but normal. He finds out (after 11 years of not knowing) that he is a wizard, and can go to a wizard school named Hogwarts if he wants. Harry immediately agrees, leaving his abnormally large cousin Dudley, his mean Uncle Vernon, and his long-necked Aunt Petunia all speechless. He immediately makes life long friends and has many adventures including killing a troll, saving the world from a dark wizard named Voldemort, and fighting a three headed dog named Fluffy. Feathers fly, ghosts appear, and a snitch is swallowed by Harry as he lives his amazing wizard life at Hogwarts. I extremely recommend Harry Potter to anyone that likes adventures and mysteries. I have read tons of series, but none of them can ever beat the boy who lived ( aka. Harry Potter)
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2013

Absolutely Amazing!

This is one of the best books I have ever read. I read this in 5th grade, and it was just perfect, although I had an extremely high reading level, about 10th grade. There are no questionable or suggestive parts that I remember, maybe the occasional "crap," but very rarely. This book is a good read for anybody of any age.
Parent Written byashleyg918 May 13, 2012

Harry Potter Thru my Eyes

As a fiction novel with a fantasy genre, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (the Philosophers stone in the U.K.) is the beginning and first of seven novels written from author J.K. Rowling. An eleven year old boy’s adventure in beginning his journey of fulfillment and truth, Harry Potter started as an orphan known as “the one who survived” repeatedly mentioned in the novel. Harry Potter is a wizard in training who has unexplainably survived the deadly curse of which no one including his parents ever survived. Juvenile as it may seem to read of imaginary wizardry and young children’s beginning through defeating three headed dogs and observing a dreary unidentified creature feeding on a bloody unicorn, this novel is drawing and threw creative descriptive language; the reader can actually visualize the scenario in which the author exploits. As adults, some lose touch within their inner child. Creativity, imaginary figures and dreams, and reenactments were childhood tendencies that portray in the thoughts and creation of this novel. It worked. The basis behind the imaginary wizardry displayed moral values and educational learning in self-personification for children of all ages. Even though some slightly gruesome and terrifying imaginary figures could be enhanced through J.K.Rowlings figurative language, the intent is to entertain and create a fun educational reading experience for children/young adults. As though it may seem I am portraying this to only be a child’s novel that is not my intention. Just as entertaining it is to a young adult, it is just as entertaining to an adult in the mysterious thrill to uncover the truth behind Harrys survival, the symbolic significance behind the lightning bolt shaped scar on Harrys forehead, and the additional information not fully given to ponder our minds on discovering these unanswered questions. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as mentioned, is the beginning of Harry Potters (main character) drive to gain the knowledge of truth and unexplained self-importance and history resulting in the death of his parents. He was orphaned as an infant in the fault of a well-known and evil wizard of whom no one will mention his name (Valdimort). J.K. Rowling introduced Harry as an orphan in care of an irrational, jealous, close minded, and magic hating Aunt and Uncle accompanied by an over- bearing self-centered spoiled cousin. When reading the text, you can’t help but feel the hatred toward these so called family members, yet as continuing to read; start gaining an up most respect for Harry and the situations he endured before and after his insight on wizardry. Harry’s actions resemble a mature goal oriented and focused young man, even at age eleven, and the journey and lessons he learns with the two very loyal best friends who accompany and help guide and aid him through these journeys of truth. If it is not obvious enough, I very much enjoyed traveling through the imaginary adventure with Harry Potter. Listed on common sense media, 20 reviews on each page and nine pages long, ages ranging from 10 year old children to 45 year old parents; there is not one review rated less than 4 stars and greatly recommended for its quality to engage an audience. The Leaky Caldron a nonprofit organization website verified that this novel received the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize 1997 Gold Medal 9-11 years, FCBG Children’s Book Award 1997 Overall winner and Longer Novel Category, Birmingham Cable Children’s Book Award 1997, Young Telegraph Paperback of the Year 1998, British Book Awards 1997 Children’s Book of the Year, Sheffield Children’s Book Award 1998, Booklist Editors Choice 1998, Whitaker’s Platinum Book Award 2001, New York Public Library 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing, and the Publishers Weekly Best Book of 1998. Along with Rowling’s many achievements, what makes the Harry Potter phenomenon unique is that it is the first time in ages that a children's book, without a movie accompanying it, has generated this much popularity. Harry Potter has become as real in the minds of children and adults as that of a popular movie series. Therefore, it will be very hard for any film based upon it to compete with it. Therefore once the creation of the movie was in progress, they merely omitted detail from the book and didn’t alter the story line at all. Harry's uncle, a prominent character in the book, is given less attention in the movie than some of the other characters; and the gently satirical aspects of Hogwarts School aren't in the movie at all. We never see the ghostly history teacher who died several years back but kept on teaching, and lines like "Professor McGonagall watched [her students] turn a mouse into a snuffbox--points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers" I have noticed no equivalent statements in the movie. Yet, many more important aspects are still in the movie; but for more detail description and an overall great imaginary image, I recommend reading the book before watching the movie. In conclusion, overall I highly recommend reading this novel. After starting to read and feeling the anxiety over the powerful words and literary description, it keeps your mind puzzled to know more. From beginning as an orphan raised by his aunt and uncle, to finding out he is a wizard and all unanswered questions of his past, the different rules of wizardry and all the obstacles Harry and his friends face to uncover hidden secrets that lead to the truth and explanations of his existence. Sadly this is the first of seven other books and in order to enjoy more adventure, find answers to more unanswered questions and to continue the long path of events that will lead to the overall understanding of everything; you would have to finish reading the rest of the novels.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2011

Magical: Pure genius

This is the begining of an amazing set of books from J.K. Rowling. Perfect for any one in your family who maybe has a hard time reading or just cant find the time, this book is for them. It will have them turning pages long into the night and they will finish in no time. Although, there are a few concerns; You need to know that the books are expensive. They can run you at least 25 dollars for the first book, and for that reader in your house that has a hard time staying focused while reading long books, beware of 4,5,6,and 7. These are a minimum of 500+ pages for each book, not to mention they cost over $40.00. And, you may be concened that it "encourages witchcraft and evil" well, personaly I can tell you that this "witchcraft" is meant well and to me, harmless. I have read the whole series and have no concerns. So, if you are ready to pay the money, buy the movies, and listen to harry and his friends countless adventures long into the night, then what are you waiting for?
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byHillstrom June 30, 2011

positive message

I think parents should focus on the message of good vs evil. It's full of fantasy and magic wich appeals to children (of all ages) but don't let over shadow the lessons kids can take away from this wonderful book. Yes it absolutely encourages kids to read more and more.
Parent Written bykmarkman February 21, 2011

Magic

If you want magic and friendship together then get it immediately.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2010

Perfect for the whole family

It is a really wonderful fantasy story and one of the best on this earth. The thing is, it can be from 8+ to adults. Everyone will love this story
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal December 5, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written byAlinaW. November 19, 2010

Great book for endless fun!

I've read this book many times, and for good reason! Like Common Sense says, this book really does respect kids intelligence . . . I was read it aloud when I was about 6, and my friends and I were immersed in that fantasy, we would play Harry Potter games, and I enjoyed being read a little more every night . . . I'm 15 now, and I still fondly remember it, which tells you something. I've read almost the whole series now, and am going to see the new movie (Deathly Hallows Part 1) Although the books are much better then the movies, I would definitely recommend the first book to read aloud to your 6, 7, or 8 year old, after that, I think kids will love reading a little each night, sometimes on their own, sometimes being read to. The first time around, it was a little scary in some parts, but more intreguing and fascinating the second time. Now I consider it a favourite that I'll pick up in a pinch of nothing to read, or to curl up with on a rainy day. The books get more intense as the series goes on, but nothing a mature kid can't handle. Read 'em!