All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Adult Written byQtbug1 April 9, 2008

Good book for Kids and Adults

Harry Potter is finally a fantasy book for not just kids but adults to. Able to be read by younger kids due to it's lack of sex, language and gore, it is still enjoyable for the adults that love a good clean story. A must read!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byHillstrom June 30, 2011

positive message

I think parents should focus on the message of good vs evil. It's full of fantasy and magic wich appeals to children (of all ages) but don't let over shadow the lessons kids can take away from this wonderful book. Yes it absolutely encourages kids to read more and more.
Parent Written byParrentio October 4, 2015

Let them read

Yah the title
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal December 5, 2010
Adult Written byberta_13 September 19, 2009

big reads for the little people...

A book for the little kids with big reading, like the film it was truly as active and wonderful! with all the effects! For all ages starting at 9, but a read for all the family
Adult Written byGregorius the Brown January 5, 2012

Massively Overrated

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010
iffy
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 8 year old Written bykristyn April 9, 2008
Educator Written byilanabit April 9, 2008

Great Family Reading

Boys and girls with a keen sense of adventure will love reading this and the rest of the Harry Potter books. With smaller kids, aged 5 - 7, this is a great place to start reading chapter books out loud with them. For older kids, they'll love the characters and story-lines so much, they'll make the extra effort to get through the books themselves.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bypebchristian March 23, 2010

Not as good as the others in the series

This first novel in the series was good but not as skillfully handled as the others. It perhaps the least violent in the entire series. But it has a good concept and good overall plot.
Adult Written byFelipe Carmona March 31, 2015

Lightning

What this story is about is a Harry Potter who had lived his life with his miserable aunt and uncle, and annoying son. The boy didn't know anything about spells, help hatch an egg, and flying a broom. Well all that is about to change when a letter comes to Harry by a animal. That letter was an invitation of a place that is really incredible. So from there he will meet friend and many other things he didn't know what to do. One of the conflict in this book is Harry and his friends trying to stop an evil presence from getting something really powerful. One theme about this book is danger. danger because of how harry and his friends had to go places not even a adult would go. I say this is a good book because i had seen the movie and all i say i found more details in the book that didn't show in the movie. I would recommend this book because to other people cause if looking for dangerous obstacles this is the book.
Parent Written byKristina Le Nguyen November 11, 2013

Harry Potter

My daughter loves reading Harry Potter because she can imagine as if she was there. I know some families think it is bad but it is one of the bestseller in New York times. The violence is appropriate for the kids 8 and up. This story has great imagery and language. If you don't believe me, read it for yourself :)
Parent Written by2girlsDad February 12, 2012

Good for sensitive 7-year-old

I read this out loud to my seven-year old daughter who is very sensitive to anything too scary. She absolutely adored the book and immediately insisted on reading book 2 and beyond (we're just starting book 3 and I came to this site to find out it would be too much for her to handle). It's suspenseful without being frightening, and humorous, especially at the beginning. The book was a good vocabulary builder and she would learn new words and sayings from it without it being overly complex or wordy.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygold2 February 25, 2011
Parent Written bykmarkman February 21, 2011

Magic

If you want magic and friendship together then get it immediately.
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Gets kids reading!

Start with this book and in no time your kid will be dragging you to the bookstore and begging you to buy the 700 page sequels! Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMKCC December 23, 2009

grrrrrrrrate

I am 8 and love this book sooooo much I think the author who wrote this was very good at it.I also think that the movie is very good too.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 6, 2009

a must read

tis book is a good book for kids and young teens to read. but there is some vilonce and the reading and content will probably be to much for 7 year olds and younger. but 8 year olds even though the content is suggestive and it is a little challenging it think they should try reading it. and kids that are 9 and up should definetly read it!!!!!!!
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009