All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Parent Written by2girlsDad February 12, 2012

Good for sensitive 7-year-old

I read this out loud to my seven-year old daughter who is very sensitive to anything too scary. She absolutely adored the book and immediately insisted on reading book 2 and beyond (we're just starting book 3 and I came to this site to find out it would be too much for her to handle). It's suspenseful without being frightening, and humorous, especially at the beginning. The book was a good vocabulary builder and she would learn new words and sayings from it without it being overly complex or wordy.
Adult Written byunknown person June 2, 2011

A must read

Amazing satisfying, this book is the enchanting start of this acclaimed series. A national phenomenon. Only a slight amount of violence, and parent guidance is only needed for any curse words. This book is amazing.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 8 year old Written bykristyn April 9, 2008

Parent Written byashleyg918 May 13, 2012

Harry Potter Thru my Eyes

As a fiction novel with a fantasy genre, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (the Philosophers stone in the U.K.) is the beginning and first of seven novels written from author J.K. Rowling. An eleven year old boy’s adventure in beginning his journey of fulfillment and truth, Harry Potter started as an orphan known as “the one who survived” repeatedly mentioned in the novel. Harry Potter is a wizard in training who has unexplainably survived the deadly curse of which no one including his parents ever survived. Juvenile as it may seem to read of imaginary wizardry and young children’s beginning through defeating three headed dogs and observing a dreary unidentified creature feeding on a bloody unicorn, this novel is drawing and threw creative descriptive language; the reader can actually visualize the scenario in which the author exploits. As adults, some lose touch within their inner child. Creativity, imaginary figures and dreams, and reenactments were childhood tendencies that portray in the thoughts and creation of this novel. It worked. The basis behind the imaginary wizardry displayed moral values and educational learning in self-personification for children of all ages. Even though some slightly gruesome and terrifying imaginary figures could be enhanced through J.K.Rowlings figurative language, the intent is to entertain and create a fun educational reading experience for children/young adults. As though it may seem I am portraying this to only be a child’s novel that is not my intention. Just as entertaining it is to a young adult, it is just as entertaining to an adult in the mysterious thrill to uncover the truth behind Harrys survival, the symbolic significance behind the lightning bolt shaped scar on Harrys forehead, and the additional information not fully given to ponder our minds on discovering these unanswered questions. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as mentioned, is the beginning of Harry Potters (main character) drive to gain the knowledge of truth and unexplained self-importance and history resulting in the death of his parents. He was orphaned as an infant in the fault of a well-known and evil wizard of whom no one will mention his name (Valdimort). J.K. Rowling introduced Harry as an orphan in care of an irrational, jealous, close minded, and magic hating Aunt and Uncle accompanied by an over- bearing self-centered spoiled cousin. When reading the text, you can’t help but feel the hatred toward these so called family members, yet as continuing to read; start gaining an up most respect for Harry and the situations he endured before and after his insight on wizardry. Harry’s actions resemble a mature goal oriented and focused young man, even at age eleven, and the journey and lessons he learns with the two very loyal best friends who accompany and help guide and aid him through these journeys of truth. If it is not obvious enough, I very much enjoyed traveling through the imaginary adventure with Harry Potter. Listed on common sense media, 20 reviews on each page and nine pages long, ages ranging from 10 year old children to 45 year old parents; there is not one review rated less than 4 stars and greatly recommended for its quality to engage an audience. The Leaky Caldron a nonprofit organization website verified that this novel received the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize 1997 Gold Medal 9-11 years, FCBG Children’s Book Award 1997 Overall winner and Longer Novel Category, Birmingham Cable Children’s Book Award 1997, Young Telegraph Paperback of the Year 1998, British Book Awards 1997 Children’s Book of the Year, Sheffield Children’s Book Award 1998, Booklist Editors Choice 1998, Whitaker’s Platinum Book Award 2001, New York Public Library 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing, and the Publishers Weekly Best Book of 1998. Along with Rowling’s many achievements, what makes the Harry Potter phenomenon unique is that it is the first time in ages that a children's book, without a movie accompanying it, has generated this much popularity. Harry Potter has become as real in the minds of children and adults as that of a popular movie series. Therefore, it will be very hard for any film based upon it to compete with it. Therefore once the creation of the movie was in progress, they merely omitted detail from the book and didn’t alter the story line at all. Harry's uncle, a prominent character in the book, is given less attention in the movie than some of the other characters; and the gently satirical aspects of Hogwarts School aren't in the movie at all. We never see the ghostly history teacher who died several years back but kept on teaching, and lines like "Professor McGonagall watched [her students] turn a mouse into a snuffbox--points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers" I have noticed no equivalent statements in the movie. Yet, many more important aspects are still in the movie; but for more detail description and an overall great imaginary image, I recommend reading the book before watching the movie. In conclusion, overall I highly recommend reading this novel. After starting to read and feeling the anxiety over the powerful words and literary description, it keeps your mind puzzled to know more. From beginning as an orphan raised by his aunt and uncle, to finding out he is a wizard and all unanswered questions of his past, the different rules of wizardry and all the obstacles Harry and his friends face to uncover hidden secrets that lead to the truth and explanations of his existence. Sadly this is the first of seven other books and in order to enjoy more adventure, find answers to more unanswered questions and to continue the long path of events that will lead to the overall understanding of everything; you would have to finish reading the rest of the novels.
Adult Written byGregorius the Brown January 5, 2012

Massively Overrated

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byHillstrom June 30, 2011

positive message

I think parents should focus on the message of good vs evil. It's full of fantasy and magic wich appeals to children (of all ages) but don't let over shadow the lessons kids can take away from this wonderful book. Yes it absolutely encourages kids to read more and more.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygold2 February 25, 2011
Parent Written bykmarkman February 21, 2011

Magic

If you want magic and friendship together then get it immediately.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal December 5, 2010

Parent of a 15 year old Written byhyumby June 25, 2010

:D

Great Book for Middle Schoolers and up!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypattygb April 23, 2010

awesome book

This book is really good. My son was very motivated to read once he picked it up - just what a parent wants (kids excited to read!!).
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Gets kids reading!

Start with this book and in no time your kid will be dragging you to the bookstore and begging you to buy the 700 page sequels! Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike.
Adult Written byberta_13 September 19, 2009

big reads for the little people...

A book for the little kids with big reading, like the film it was truly as active and wonderful! with all the effects! For all ages starting at 9, but a read for all the family
Adult Written bymalika April 9, 2008

helo every one myself malika i m a big fan of harry poter i have read allits books and watched the movies too the harry poter world is full of exitment and fun mazza to hai hi daar hairani aur hassi bhi sath sath aai hai it is one of the best movies of the world
Adult Written byQtbug1 April 9, 2008

Good book for Kids and Adults

Harry Potter is finally a fantasy book for not just kids but adults to. Able to be read by younger kids due to it's lack of sex, language and gore, it is still enjoyable for the adults that love a good clean story. A must read!
Parent Written byKristina Le Nguyen November 11, 2013

Harry Potter

My daughter loves reading Harry Potter because she can imagine as if she was there. I know some families think it is bad but it is one of the bestseller in New York times. The violence is appropriate for the kids 8 and up. This story has great imagery and language. If you don't believe me, read it for yourself :)
Parent of a 8 year old Written bydgjd April 2, 2013

Great book and engages the young imagination

Read this with my my 8 yr old son. He loved the story and even read it went we weren't looking. There were a couple of nights of nightmares (after the drinking of unicorn blood). Had to explain what it meant when Hagrid was "drunk" and made bad choices. The story ends sweetly, if not a bit sad. We promised the movie after we finished the book and I must say that I am a bit nervous.
Parent Written byPuddleglum March 4, 2013

Awful book

This book is completely overrated. The poorly written start to a corny, average series that somehow got exalted to the level of actual great literature like The Chronicles of Narnia (which goes without saying is an infinitely better series by an infinitely better writer). Specifically, the writing is awful, the story is average, the character names are so corny they make you feel embarrassed to say them aloud. It's impossible to imagine that anyone over 8 years old could find this enjoyable. Basically, it's the Britney Spears of books- popular yet highly overrated.
Educator and Parent Written bycase de pariuri March 14, 2012

adult wp themes

Thanks for sharing her story,adult wp themes it was so funny
Parent Written byRobertW September 9, 2011

Daughter and Dad really like this book

My daughter thinks Harry Potter is really cool and rocks. She thinks that Harry is super talented and she likes how great he is at Quidditch.