All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Adult Written bythe fallen November 7, 2008

it was on ok book not as good as the others

i like the book but my mom is in love with the book she has it all name sumthing and she has if it invales harry potter she has to have it is scary how some people love this book ( it was a little had to fallow)
Parent Written byKristina Le Nguyen November 11, 2013

Harry Potter

My daughter loves reading Harry Potter because she can imagine as if she was there. I know some families think it is bad but it is one of the bestseller in New York times. The violence is appropriate for the kids 8 and up. This story has great imagery and language. If you don't believe me, read it for yourself :)
Parent of a 8 year old Written bydgjd April 2, 2013

Great book and engages the young imagination

Read this with my my 8 yr old son. He loved the story and even read it went we weren't looking. There were a couple of nights of nightmares (after the drinking of unicorn blood). Had to explain what it meant when Hagrid was "drunk" and made bad choices. The story ends sweetly, if not a bit sad. We promised the movie after we finished the book and I must say that I am a bit nervous.
Parent Written byashleyg918 May 13, 2012

Harry Potter Thru my Eyes

As a fiction novel with a fantasy genre, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (the Philosophers stone in the U.K.) is the beginning and first of seven novels written from author J.K. Rowling. An eleven year old boy’s adventure in beginning his journey of fulfillment and truth, Harry Potter started as an orphan known as “the one who survived” repeatedly mentioned in the novel. Harry Potter is a wizard in training who has unexplainably survived the deadly curse of which no one including his parents ever survived. Juvenile as it may seem to read of imaginary wizardry and young children’s beginning through defeating three headed dogs and observing a dreary unidentified creature feeding on a bloody unicorn, this novel is drawing and threw creative descriptive language; the reader can actually visualize the scenario in which the author exploits. As adults, some lose touch within their inner child. Creativity, imaginary figures and dreams, and reenactments were childhood tendencies that portray in the thoughts and creation of this novel. It worked. The basis behind the imaginary wizardry displayed moral values and educational learning in self-personification for children of all ages. Even though some slightly gruesome and terrifying imaginary figures could be enhanced through J.K.Rowlings figurative language, the intent is to entertain and create a fun educational reading experience for children/young adults. As though it may seem I am portraying this to only be a child’s novel that is not my intention. Just as entertaining it is to a young adult, it is just as entertaining to an adult in the mysterious thrill to uncover the truth behind Harrys survival, the symbolic significance behind the lightning bolt shaped scar on Harrys forehead, and the additional information not fully given to ponder our minds on discovering these unanswered questions. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as mentioned, is the beginning of Harry Potters (main character) drive to gain the knowledge of truth and unexplained self-importance and history resulting in the death of his parents. He was orphaned as an infant in the fault of a well-known and evil wizard of whom no one will mention his name (Valdimort). J.K. Rowling introduced Harry as an orphan in care of an irrational, jealous, close minded, and magic hating Aunt and Uncle accompanied by an over- bearing self-centered spoiled cousin. When reading the text, you can’t help but feel the hatred toward these so called family members, yet as continuing to read; start gaining an up most respect for Harry and the situations he endured before and after his insight on wizardry. Harry’s actions resemble a mature goal oriented and focused young man, even at age eleven, and the journey and lessons he learns with the two very loyal best friends who accompany and help guide and aid him through these journeys of truth. If it is not obvious enough, I very much enjoyed traveling through the imaginary adventure with Harry Potter. Listed on common sense media, 20 reviews on each page and nine pages long, ages ranging from 10 year old children to 45 year old parents; there is not one review rated less than 4 stars and greatly recommended for its quality to engage an audience. The Leaky Caldron a nonprofit organization website verified that this novel received the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize 1997 Gold Medal 9-11 years, FCBG Children’s Book Award 1997 Overall winner and Longer Novel Category, Birmingham Cable Children’s Book Award 1997, Young Telegraph Paperback of the Year 1998, British Book Awards 1997 Children’s Book of the Year, Sheffield Children’s Book Award 1998, Booklist Editors Choice 1998, Whitaker’s Platinum Book Award 2001, New York Public Library 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing, and the Publishers Weekly Best Book of 1998. Along with Rowling’s many achievements, what makes the Harry Potter phenomenon unique is that it is the first time in ages that a children's book, without a movie accompanying it, has generated this much popularity. Harry Potter has become as real in the minds of children and adults as that of a popular movie series. Therefore, it will be very hard for any film based upon it to compete with it. Therefore once the creation of the movie was in progress, they merely omitted detail from the book and didn’t alter the story line at all. Harry's uncle, a prominent character in the book, is given less attention in the movie than some of the other characters; and the gently satirical aspects of Hogwarts School aren't in the movie at all. We never see the ghostly history teacher who died several years back but kept on teaching, and lines like "Professor McGonagall watched [her students] turn a mouse into a snuffbox--points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers" I have noticed no equivalent statements in the movie. Yet, many more important aspects are still in the movie; but for more detail description and an overall great imaginary image, I recommend reading the book before watching the movie. In conclusion, overall I highly recommend reading this novel. After starting to read and feeling the anxiety over the powerful words and literary description, it keeps your mind puzzled to know more. From beginning as an orphan raised by his aunt and uncle, to finding out he is a wizard and all unanswered questions of his past, the different rules of wizardry and all the obstacles Harry and his friends face to uncover hidden secrets that lead to the truth and explanations of his existence. Sadly this is the first of seven other books and in order to enjoy more adventure, find answers to more unanswered questions and to continue the long path of events that will lead to the overall understanding of everything; you would have to finish reading the rest of the novels.
Adult Written byfr0stedshad0w April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypooreme April 9, 2008
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 8 year old Written bykristyn April 9, 2008
Adult Written byFelipe Carmona March 31, 2015

Lightning

What this story is about is a Harry Potter who had lived his life with his miserable aunt and uncle, and annoying son. The boy didn't know anything about spells, help hatch an egg, and flying a broom. Well all that is about to change when a letter comes to Harry by a animal. That letter was an invitation of a place that is really incredible. So from there he will meet friend and many other things he didn't know what to do. One of the conflict in this book is Harry and his friends trying to stop an evil presence from getting something really powerful. One theme about this book is danger. danger because of how harry and his friends had to go places not even a adult would go. I say this is a good book because i had seen the movie and all i say i found more details in the book that didn't show in the movie. I would recommend this book because to other people cause if looking for dangerous obstacles this is the book.
Parent Written byPuddleglum March 4, 2013

Awful book

This book is completely overrated. The poorly written start to a corny, average series that somehow got exalted to the level of actual great literature like The Chronicles of Narnia (which goes without saying is an infinitely better series by an infinitely better writer). Specifically, the writing is awful, the story is average, the character names are so corny they make you feel embarrassed to say them aloud. It's impossible to imagine that anyone over 8 years old could find this enjoyable. Basically, it's the Britney Spears of books- popular yet highly overrated.
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Gets kids reading!

Start with this book and in no time your kid will be dragging you to the bookstore and begging you to buy the 700 page sequels! Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMKCC December 23, 2009

grrrrrrrrate

I am 8 and love this book sooooo much I think the author who wrote this was very good at it.I also think that the movie is very good too.
Educator and Parent Written bycase de pariuri March 14, 2012

adult wp themes

Thanks for sharing her story,adult wp themes it was so funny
Parent Written byRobertW September 9, 2011

Daughter and Dad really like this book

My daughter thinks Harry Potter is really cool and rocks. She thinks that Harry is super talented and she likes how great he is at Quidditch.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byapril.george January 14, 2016

Wonderful piece of literature

As a children's librarian, I always seem to steer the kids towards Harry Potter if they like series and magic. I read all seven books back to back and could not put them down. Kids around 10-12 will enjoy reading about kids that are the same age and going through some of the same problems such as bullies, feelings of loneliness or feeling they don't belong. Hopefully they follow through with the series and into the darker themes of the last four books. I enjoy a good Good vs. Evil story and this is just that.
Adult Written byTheminecrafting... February 3, 2015

Theminingblog

I think this book is awesome becuse it supports the story like its on a balenceing act. Bye
Adult Written bytamtam April 9, 2008
Parent of a 11 year old Written byben h. November 20, 2016
A real page turner coudn't put it down, my son loves the all the Harry potter books , this got him into reading thanks J.K
Parent Written byMartin C. November 7, 2016

Book review Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone

I the story the plot is when Hagrid left harry next to the door with the note and told in the note Voldmort killed Mr. and Mrs. potter ans couldn't kill harry and so they could take care good care of him. The central conflict is when Harry defeated Voldemort . The theme is the triumph over good or evil . I think the book is the b est because it shows determination like no matter how small you are you can still fight a much older person than you. I gave it a five star rate because its amazing how they can tell the fantasy and its very clear every detail.
Parent Written byscmom123 October 16, 2016

Fine for the 6+ set if reading out loud to kids.

My son can read well for a 7-year-old but this book would be exhausting and too tedious for him to tackle on his own. However, reading this out loud to my almost 6-year-old and my 7 1/2 year old has been wonderful. Having read the books myself years ago I was looking forward to starting them. They absolutely hung on every word. I offered a tv show to them the other day and received a, "Please Mommy, can you read Harry Potter instead?!" Obviously there are times when a little explanation may be needed or a "this is just pretend" reminder given. However, my son is NOT a fan of scary movies or stories and he didn't have a problem with the story. The wonderful thing about the book is that the scarier moments aren't thrown at the reader quickly or bluntly. There is build up that lets the kids know something is coming and things aren't too graphic. Also, and in my opinion most importantly, is that there is no senseless violence. Any violence or fighting serves a purpose for the greater good vs evil tale. I am truly looking forward to reading all the books - we will take each one as it comes and decide if they are right for the kids' ages. I caution parents against waiting too long for these books as the value will be diminished when they eventually stumble across the movies or other spoilers among their friends. Wouldn't it be a shame to ruin the experience of this many large books that they would otherwise relish?
Educator Written byMr.Sager September 2, 2016

A Must Read Book for All Kids; A New Classic

An unwanted boy, with no clue about his past or family, is thrust into a world of magic, witches, and wizards. Harry Potter learns about a rich new world that he is a very important part of. Along the way, he meets some new friends and finds himself caught in the middle of a struggle that explains who he really is. Harry struggles with evil powers beyond his understanding, while he believes one of the teachers from his school, Hogwarts, is out to get him. Along the way Harry and his new found friends, Hermione and Ron demonstrate courage, wits, and determination against all odds. We could learn these attributes will help us overcome the greatest of adversity. This book is amazing! I highly recommend it to all readers, even if you are not a fan of fantasy. J.K. Rowling writes this first book with very Dahl-like flare and pacing. Like Dahl, there is an underlying darkness and humor that gives this book some great character. How often does a tormenting older cousin get cursed with a pig's tail? Or when you pick up a jelly bean it has as much of a chance tasting like vomit as is it does apple? This book shows the value of hard work, good thinking, and taking risks for the benefit of others. All of these are values I would love my kids and students to have. These values are portrayed by the protagonist, Harry Potter, and his partners in crime, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley. Overall an amazing book!