All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Age

Kid, 10 years old August 14, 2010

Good for people 8+

Great Book. I read it when I was 8. It would most likely scare children younger then that. There was a curse word here and there, but as long as a child 8+ read it they wouldn't go saying it.
Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2010

Fast Reader... O_O

Finished it in TWO NIGHTS...NOT kidding. found the D Word and there WAS SOME talking about drinking...I think, i don't know, i have a bad memory...But i LOVED the book havent read the others yet, but when i do...I'll tell you what i thought ;)
Parent of a 15 year old Written byhyumby June 25, 2010

:D

Great Book for Middle Schoolers and up!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypattygb April 23, 2010

awesome book

This book is really good. My son was very motivated to read once he picked it up - just what a parent wants (kids excited to read!!).
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Gets kids reading!

Start with this book and in no time your kid will be dragging you to the bookstore and begging you to buy the 700 page sequels! Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike.
Adult Written byberta_13 September 19, 2009

big reads for the little people...

A book for the little kids with big reading, like the film it was truly as active and wonderful! with all the effects! For all ages starting at 9, but a read for all the family
Teen, 13 years old Written bymclaren700 April 5, 2009

It was a very good story that will keep you reading until the very end!

I hate the people who give it 1 star because there parents are religous ediots and dont want to even speak the word 'magic'. It is a nice book and 14 year olds I think should be allowed to read a nine year old book. If you're not allowed to read it, WHY DID YOU REVIEW IT???
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzyowl November 17, 2008

A fun and outstanding book that keeps you going.

This book gave me a whole new world! When i am upset or going through rough times, Harry Potter is my hero. This is the first book to the best series ever so don't miss out! You will wish you were a witch or wizard, too!
Adult Written bymalika April 9, 2008

helo every one myself malika i m a big fan of harry poter i have read allits books and watched the movies too the harry poter world is full of exitment and fun mazza to hai hi daar hairani aur hassi bhi sath sath aai hai it is one of the best movies of the world
Adult Written byQtbug1 April 9, 2008

Good book for Kids and Adults

Harry Potter is finally a fantasy book for not just kids but adults to. Able to be read by younger kids due to it's lack of sex, language and gore, it is still enjoyable for the adults that love a good clean story. A must read!
Kid, 9 years old July 26, 2015

Great Story ! J.K. Rowling has done it !

Great story and excellent plot ! This is a must read for ALL kids and adults and all human beings ! Great story that J.K Rowling has perfected on writing the book simply can't get any better !
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2015

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

Details - Author: J.K. Rowling Illustrator: Mary Gramps - Genre: Fantasy - Topics: Magical Elements, Fantasy - Novel Form: Fiction - Publisher: Scholastic Inc. (USA) - Publication Date: 1 September 1998 (USA) - Length Of Novel: 309 Pages - Publisher's Recommended Age(s): 9 - 12 - Parental Guidance: 6 - 8 - Read Alone: 9+ - Awards: ALA Best & Notable Books - Synopsis: Harry Potter has no idea how famous he might be. That's because he's being raised by his miserable Aunt & Uncle who are terrified Harry will learn that he's really a wizard, just as his parents were. But everything changes when Harry is summoned to attend an infamous school for wizards, and he begins to discover some clues about his illustrious birthright. From the surprising way he is greeted by a lovable giant, to the unique curriculum and colorful faculty at his unusual school, Harry finds himself drawn deep inside a mystical world he never knew existed and closer to his own noble destiny. - Information - 5/10: Themes: (Mild/Moderate) The Supernatural (immortality, Sorcerer's Stone, centaurs, dragons, broomsticks, wands, fantasy elements/creatures, friendship, self-sacrifice, ghosts, spirits) - 4/10: Violence: (Children are in peril a great percentage of the time, but attacked by fantasy creatures usually. A three-headed dog chases Harry, Ronald and Hermione. Harry and Draco come into contact with a bloody injured Unicorn and are chased by a hooded figure in the Forbidden Forest. Harry, Ronald and Hermione fight a Mountain Troll and knock it unconscious, are nearly crushed by a constricting plant, are chased by flying keys, and injured by a life-sized chess board. Mostly friendly ghosts roam the halls of Hogwarts, one ghost (Nearly Headless Nick) shows how he got his name. Harry has flashbacks to the (bloodless) death of his parents, one involving a figure with blood dripping down it's chin. There is also discussions about how they died and the one who killed them). - 2/10 - Language: Very Mild (there is two or three uses of 'God'. One or two uses of 'hell' and 'damn'. One use of the phrase 'Merlin's beard' - 0/10: Sex Scenes/References: (None) - 0/10: Nudity: (None) - 0/10: Drugs: (None) - 11/50 = 22% - PG = 6 - 8 - Read Alone = 9+
Teen, 13 years old Written bytessah5 June 20, 2015

It's good

This book is really great for kids 9 and up. Harry Potter, the main character, is always thinking of others and trying to do what is right. There is no swearing, violence, sex, or consumerism.
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2015

My fave!!

The Harry Potter series has been my favorite ever since I picked up the first book when I was seven (I was in second grade). I think that it's appropriate for any kid able to read it.
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2015

Magical!!! An incredible start to an epic series!!!

I loved the Harry Potter series. It really opens up and works your imagination (Diagon Alley, Hogwarts,Hagrid,Snape,etc.). It contains good messages like stick up for what you believe, never give up, trust in your friends, and more! It had a reasonable amount of violence, (getting to the sorcerer's stone, Draco Malfoy, etc). There was no swearing just name calling, git, prat, idiot, etc. No sex just hugs, "motherly" kisses from Mrs.Weasley (when they introduce Ron). Yes, it was a little gross when J.K. Rowling described the man with 2 faces but he WAS the bad guy... But other than that I though it was a really super book and series!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreakingbooknerd April 6, 2015

Awesome!

A awesome read for new readers! Amazing book, nicely paced.
Adult Written byFelipe Carmona March 31, 2015

Lightning

What this story is about is a Harry Potter who had lived his life with his miserable aunt and uncle, and annoying son. The boy didn't know anything about spells, help hatch an egg, and flying a broom. Well all that is about to change when a letter comes to Harry by a animal. That letter was an invitation of a place that is really incredible. So from there he will meet friend and many other things he didn't know what to do. One of the conflict in this book is Harry and his friends trying to stop an evil presence from getting something really powerful. One theme about this book is danger. danger because of how harry and his friends had to go places not even a adult would go. I say this is a good book because i had seen the movie and all i say i found more details in the book that didn't show in the movie. I would recommend this book because to other people cause if looking for dangerous obstacles this is the book.
Kid, 10 years old March 15, 2015

I really like it!

I think that this is a great book that kids should read. There are some parts that might be scary. Harry almost dies because of Quirrel. There is not a lot of blood except for one scene. Harry is in detention and he goes to the Forbidden Forest. He walks a different way and finds an unicorn with blood surrounding it. I think that you should be no younger than 8 to read these books. I think that JK Rowling could have done better on the first book. This book, and the Prisoner of Azkaban are my least favorite books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhermione1226 March 7, 2015

A Magical Ride

This is the series that founded my love for reading. THANK YOU, J.K. Rowling! I picked up the first book over the summer going into kindergarten. (Almost six years old), and I still adore the series today. I immediately fell in love with the characters, and had no problem with the scariness. And by "scariness", I mean a troll getting loose is Hogwarts, kids facing off with a three-headed dog (made less scary by his name, Fluffy), Harry encountering a cloaked figure drinking the blood of a unicorn, or Harry finding out that one of his teachers is a two-faced traitor. Literally. For a younger child that is easily scared, or has a history of nightmares from scary movies and such, you might want to wait a bit. But for a kid that is fine with some scares, this book is a go.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2015

I LOVE THIS BOOK I HAVE READ IT LIKE TWELVE TIMES!!!!!

I love this book everyone needs to read all the HP books they're amazing! You will get stuck on them so just buy all of them!