All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 11 years old January 17, 2011

Great Opener

Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

One of the best books ever!

It is a wonderful book. I enjoyed it soo much !
Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2010

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWSOME! I loved reading this book! I didn't want to start it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down, and ended up reading half the night! (I read this when I was 7)
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bypebchristian March 23, 2010

Not as good as the others in the series

This first novel in the series was good but not as skillfully handled as the others. It perhaps the least violent in the entire series. But it has a good concept and good overall plot.

good

I liked this book. The beginning was a little stupid but it got better as it went on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008
A great beginning to a wonderfull series!
Adult Written byFelipe Carmona March 31, 2015

Lightning

What this story is about is a Harry Potter who had lived his life with his miserable aunt and uncle, and annoying son. The boy didn't know anything about spells, help hatch an egg, and flying a broom. Well all that is about to change when a letter comes to Harry by a animal. That letter was an invitation of a place that is really incredible. So from there he will meet friend and many other things he didn't know what to do. One of the conflict in this book is Harry and his friends trying to stop an evil presence from getting something really powerful. One theme about this book is danger. danger because of how harry and his friends had to go places not even a adult would go. I say this is a good book because i had seen the movie and all i say i found more details in the book that didn't show in the movie. I would recommend this book because to other people cause if looking for dangerous obstacles this is the book.
Parent Written byKristina Le Nguyen November 11, 2013

Harry Potter

My daughter loves reading Harry Potter because she can imagine as if she was there. I know some families think it is bad but it is one of the bestseller in New York times. The violence is appropriate for the kids 8 and up. This story has great imagery and language. If you don't believe me, read it for yourself :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarvinMartian February 18, 2012

Harry Potter 1

A great movie. The forbidden forest scene is too scary for young children. Some murder and mild violence. Harry, Ron, and Herminie are good role models. Mild language "Bloody hell"
Parent Written by2girlsDad February 12, 2012

Good for sensitive 7-year-old

I read this out loud to my seven-year old daughter who is very sensitive to anything too scary. She absolutely adored the book and immediately insisted on reading book 2 and beyond (we're just starting book 3 and I came to this site to find out it would be too much for her to handle). It's suspenseful without being frightening, and humorous, especially at the beginning. The book was a good vocabulary builder and she would learn new words and sayings from it without it being overly complex or wordy.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygold2 February 25, 2011
Parent Written bykmarkman February 21, 2011

Magic

If you want magic and friendship together then get it immediately.
Adult Written byKaye13 April 4, 2010

Gets kids reading!

Start with this book and in no time your kid will be dragging you to the bookstore and begging you to buy the 700 page sequels! Captivating and inspiring story for kids and adults alike.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMKCC December 23, 2009

grrrrrrrrate

I am 8 and love this book sooooo much I think the author who wrote this was very good at it.I also think that the movie is very good too.
Kid, 10 years old November 21, 2009

perfect for people that can read well

i love it! its been a family book for a while. there is a little violence but thats mainly when they break a rule. but for a good reason like saving someone. it has good role models. each character has their own personality which i like. i started reading them when i was five and i loved them ever sense.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 6, 2009

a must read

tis book is a good book for kids and young teens to read. but there is some vilonce and the reading and content will probably be to much for 7 year olds and younger. but 8 year olds even though the content is suggestive and it is a little challenging it think they should try reading it. and kids that are 9 and up should definetly read it!!!!!!!
Parent of a 11, 15, and 18 year old Written byJulieKryger1970 January 5, 2009
Adult Written bymalika April 9, 2008
helo every one myself malika i m a big fan of harry poter i have read allits books and watched the movies too the harry poter world is full of exitment and fun mazza to hai hi daar hairani aur hassi bhi sath sath aai hai it is one of the best movies of the world
Teen, 14 years old Written byjazzyjammrz April 9, 2008

A Good Start

This is a fantastic beginning to an almost impossibly great series. These are the best books ever! Sorcerer's Stone is an easy classic. It's fun, and has a light atmosphere*. It's a great introductory to such a phenomenon. Well done, Mrs. Rowling, this is truly a masterpiece. *To Parents: As the series moves on, the books become progressively darker, mostly on behalf of Lord Voldemort. While this book is great for seven and up, the latest book so far is better for eleven or older.
Parent Written byashleyg918 May 13, 2012

Harry Potter Thru my Eyes

As a fiction novel with a fantasy genre, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (the Philosophers stone in the U.K.) is the beginning and first of seven novels written from author J.K. Rowling. An eleven year old boy’s adventure in beginning his journey of fulfillment and truth, Harry Potter started as an orphan known as “the one who survived” repeatedly mentioned in the novel. Harry Potter is a wizard in training who has unexplainably survived the deadly curse of which no one including his parents ever survived. Juvenile as it may seem to read of imaginary wizardry and young children’s beginning through defeating three headed dogs and observing a dreary unidentified creature feeding on a bloody unicorn, this novel is drawing and threw creative descriptive language; the reader can actually visualize the scenario in which the author exploits. As adults, some lose touch within their inner child. Creativity, imaginary figures and dreams, and reenactments were childhood tendencies that portray in the thoughts and creation of this novel. It worked. The basis behind the imaginary wizardry displayed moral values and educational learning in self-personification for children of all ages. Even though some slightly gruesome and terrifying imaginary figures could be enhanced through J.K.Rowlings figurative language, the intent is to entertain and create a fun educational reading experience for children/young adults. As though it may seem I am portraying this to only be a child’s novel that is not my intention. Just as entertaining it is to a young adult, it is just as entertaining to an adult in the mysterious thrill to uncover the truth behind Harrys survival, the symbolic significance behind the lightning bolt shaped scar on Harrys forehead, and the additional information not fully given to ponder our minds on discovering these unanswered questions. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as mentioned, is the beginning of Harry Potters (main character) drive to gain the knowledge of truth and unexplained self-importance and history resulting in the death of his parents. He was orphaned as an infant in the fault of a well-known and evil wizard of whom no one will mention his name (Valdimort). J.K. Rowling introduced Harry as an orphan in care of an irrational, jealous, close minded, and magic hating Aunt and Uncle accompanied by an over- bearing self-centered spoiled cousin. When reading the text, you can’t help but feel the hatred toward these so called family members, yet as continuing to read; start gaining an up most respect for Harry and the situations he endured before and after his insight on wizardry. Harry’s actions resemble a mature goal oriented and focused young man, even at age eleven, and the journey and lessons he learns with the two very loyal best friends who accompany and help guide and aid him through these journeys of truth. If it is not obvious enough, I very much enjoyed traveling through the imaginary adventure with Harry Potter. Listed on common sense media, 20 reviews on each page and nine pages long, ages ranging from 10 year old children to 45 year old parents; there is not one review rated less than 4 stars and greatly recommended for its quality to engage an audience. The Leaky Caldron a nonprofit organization website verified that this novel received the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize 1997 Gold Medal 9-11 years, FCBG Children’s Book Award 1997 Overall winner and Longer Novel Category, Birmingham Cable Children’s Book Award 1997, Young Telegraph Paperback of the Year 1998, British Book Awards 1997 Children’s Book of the Year, Sheffield Children’s Book Award 1998, Booklist Editors Choice 1998, Whitaker’s Platinum Book Award 2001, New York Public Library 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing, and the Publishers Weekly Best Book of 1998. Along with Rowling’s many achievements, what makes the Harry Potter phenomenon unique is that it is the first time in ages that a children's book, without a movie accompanying it, has generated this much popularity. Harry Potter has become as real in the minds of children and adults as that of a popular movie series. Therefore, it will be very hard for any film based upon it to compete with it. Therefore once the creation of the movie was in progress, they merely omitted detail from the book and didn’t alter the story line at all. Harry's uncle, a prominent character in the book, is given less attention in the movie than some of the other characters; and the gently satirical aspects of Hogwarts School aren't in the movie at all. We never see the ghostly history teacher who died several years back but kept on teaching, and lines like "Professor McGonagall watched [her students] turn a mouse into a snuffbox--points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers" I have noticed no equivalent statements in the movie. Yet, many more important aspects are still in the movie; but for more detail description and an overall great imaginary image, I recommend reading the book before watching the movie. In conclusion, overall I highly recommend reading this novel. After starting to read and feeling the anxiety over the powerful words and literary description, it keeps your mind puzzled to know more. From beginning as an orphan raised by his aunt and uncle, to finding out he is a wizard and all unanswered questions of his past, the different rules of wizardry and all the obstacles Harry and his friends face to uncover hidden secrets that lead to the truth and explanations of his existence. Sadly this is the first of seven other books and in order to enjoy more adventure, find answers to more unanswered questions and to continue the long path of events that will lead to the overall understanding of everything; you would have to finish reading the rest of the novels.