All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bydgjd April 2, 2013

Great book and engages the young imagination

Read this with my my 8 yr old son. He loved the story and even read it went we weren't looking. There were a couple of nights of nightmares (after the drinking of unicorn blood). Had to explain what it meant when Hagrid was "drunk" and made bad choices. The story ends sweetly, if not a bit sad. We promised the movie after we finished the book and I must say that I am a bit nervous.
Kid, 9 years old March 9, 2013

Awesome, not too big of an issue

GREAT FIRST BOOK- really drags you into the story. I started reading Harry Potter books when I was six, but didn't understand the concept so I picked up the book again when I was 7 and devoured it in 3 days. Language is a little issue because Uncle Vernon says something bad about the letters Harry is getting so when I read that out loud, I replaced the word and no one noticed. Some kids get scared during the big dog fluffy and Quirells transformation so it is a little violent, but not as mature as the other books. Hope this helps and, have fun reading!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNovalita March 7, 2013

Fantastic First!

Parent Written byPuddleglum March 4, 2013

Awful book

This book is completely overrated. The poorly written start to a corny, average series that somehow got exalted to the level of actual great literature like The Chronicles of Narnia (which goes without saying is an infinitely better series by an infinitely better writer). Specifically, the writing is awful, the story is average, the character names are so corny they make you feel embarrassed to say them aloud. It's impossible to imagine that anyone over 8 years old could find this enjoyable. Basically, it's the Britney Spears of books- popular yet highly overrated.
Kid, 7 years old March 3, 2013

The Best Harry Potter Book

I liked the book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because it is a very adventurous and cool book. My favorite part was when Harry won the Quidditch match and he had the snitch in his mouth. Then all of his friends were shouting.
Kid, 12 years old February 17, 2013

Amazing!!!!! Must Read!!!

I cannot tell you how much I love this book!!! I first read it when I was 8 and since then have read and re-read it over and over again! It is an amazing, imaginative piece that captivates you to another world where spells and the extra-ordinary happens! It has positive role models and positive messages. The only bad language I can possibly think of is Ron's humorous "Bloody hell!" :D It will leave you wanting more and once you start reading you can't stop!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilypenny January 1, 2013

Please Stop With The Criticism! *spoilers alert*

I'm an avid reader, and by avid I mean I'll read anyhting you put in front of me, but whether i like it or not is a compltely different story. Harry Potter was introduced to me at the age of 10, for my parents thought that Harry Potter not only contained evil magic, but also bad role models and kids getting away with wrong doings. First of all, magic IS evil. Witchcraft in the real world is evil and shouldn't be practiced. However, Harry's magic is different. His story isn't about magic, it's about defeating the most evil wizard in the world, while protecting his friends, while juggling the pressure of being a boy becoming mature. Dumbledore states many times that love is the best magic, Harry is even protected by his diseased mother's love multiple times. As for kids getting away with wrong doings, the only times main characters disobey the rules, (Harry, Ron, Hermione, the DA, etc) is when they know they need to! For example, *spoiler* in the Sorcerer's Stone, the kids know that Snape is trying to steal the Stone, and in order to defend the Stone and prevent Voldemort from coming back, they MUST disobey the rules and go to the third floor corridor, which saves Hogwarts. As for bad role models, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! The main character, Harry, makes the ultimate sacrifice in the end! *spoiler alert* He meets Voldemort in the forbidden forest in book seven and dies to save his friends, and even for many people he doen't know! Now, if that's not good role modeling, I don't know what is. And not to mention Neville! In th beginning he looks like a fearful little boy, but he becomes one of the bravest of them all! Many characters in the beginning who seem like jerks turn out to be heroes! So please, stop with the criticism. 10/10 stars. My favorite series of all time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeretohelp26 November 7, 2012

Great book!

A bit scary, but not too intense. One death of a teacher. And one use of "nmad" (it's backwards) Okay for 7 & up Iffy for 6+ Not for 5 & under
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2012

The Best Book Series EVER!

I LOVE Harry Potter. It's MUCH better than that Twilight BS. Once you read, it's impossible to stop. Harry Potter is awesome! I started reading the series in September, and I finished in May.
Kid, 12 years old August 20, 2012

I love Harry Potter! A magical start to the best selling potter phenomenon.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydirectioner23 July 31, 2012

Nothing short of AMAZING

Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2012

NUMBER 1!!!

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK SERISE EVER!!! If you think the movie were good, read the books!!! A little violence here and there, but nothing much. Older kids will get the story better than younger ones. I wish CSM could give us more stars to rate on, 'cause I would rate it 99999999999 stars! (Even more!) If you think this book doesn't look any good, look what people made out of it! The Lego Harry Potter Vidio Game, Harry Potter World in Orlando Florda, A Harry Potter Cookbook. A book that will never be out of style!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byI like family guy June 16, 2012

Harry Potter review

I have seen all the Harry Potters.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybook wonders June 9, 2012

WHY PEOPLE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK

This is a great book for children of all ages to read. This book has a lot of elements that a children's book would have such as positives role models (like Hermione), positive messages (“love can overcome evil”), and educational value. This book also has wonderful life lesson's and moral's.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpeak Now June 4, 2012

AWESOME BOOK!

This is an amazing series(I have read them all 3 times)! I have two little brothers, a ten year old who is on the 7th book, and a seven year old who finished the 3rd book but is not aloud to read past this because the books get a little scary. The first two or three books are okay for younger kids who are strong readers, however the story is suspenseful at times. Other than that it is perfect for all ages(even my mom likes them)
Teen, 13 years old Written byOwenZ May 26, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone

A really well written book that kids as well as parents will enjoy reading again and again.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpielbergman44 May 22, 2012

I love Harry potter! A magical start for readers for fans of fantasy!

Teen, 16 years old Written bycpast May 21, 2012

Brilliant

This book was my childhood. My parents read it to me when I was five or six. You have to know your kid, but I would say its fine for anyone five and over.
Teen, 13 years old Written byandasif April 28, 2012

A Long Book

It's really good but it takes a LONG time to get into it. I have read three of the other books in the series and so far this one takes the longest. This book is really good and I know the content is for 8yr olds but what 8yr is going to read a 300pg book. But its very good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byacciohope15 March 27, 2012

Harry Potter is my childhood

I grew up with Harry Potter along with my older and younger brothers. From the moment I picked up the first book I couldn't put it down, I always waited anxiously for the next book to come out. But the reason why I love this series so much is because it teaches you a lesson. Such as: 1- Be trustful. 2- Care for your friends, family and loved ones. 3- Love is important, you should know that it's one of the important essentials of life, no one and I mean NO ONE can live, if they're not loved. 4- Be brave, you may be small, young, foolish and careless. BUT! You sure can do a change in life. 5- Do not let anyone or anything, drive you away from doing what is right, what you believe in. 6- Just look at the amazing, truly deep, meaningful things that Dumbledore says. Look at how many quotes you can take from his speech ? 7- Facing obstacles ?, do not let that get you down, no! Go and try again and again and again, until you do it right. 8- Study! It's important that you learn, not only learn how to 'fight evil' or 'magic unreal stuff' NO! Learn and be eager for learning, sure they teach magical subjects in Hogwarts, but please, have a brain.. That sends a message to all of us, saying learning is essential, important and most important you cannot live without it. 8- Sacrifice, you must favour others, over yourself. Harry Potter doesn't have an age range that some authors go for. Harry Potter is for all ages from the young to the older ages, it is made for everyone.