All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2014

Awesomest book in the world

Everybody should read Harry Potter. There isn't much violence at all and it's a totally amazing awesome book.
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2014

Great book!

I've read this book, and I think it's amazing. This is a fiction book that won't bore you out. It is entertaining and has a great storyline, along with being well written. Try out this book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuckyDucky April 18, 2013

By Edward Jenkins

I’m a going to tell you a report about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. It all begins When Harry Potter is born. The evil wizard Voldemort tries to kill Harry Potter but, Harry Potter lived that attack. Harry Potter was the boy who lived although he had a scar in the shape of a lightning bolt that would remain on his forehead forever. His scar usually burns when Voldemort is near. Ten years old Harry never knew how his parents were killed (by Voldemort) and grew up with his mean Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and bratty older cousion Dudley. One certain month he keeps getting letters about his invitations to a school called Hogwarts. They all runaway to an island with a shack on it. Uncle Vernon was sure they would get no letters there and they didn’t. At midnight it turned Harry’s birthday then he heard a bang. A giant called Rubius Hagrid crashed through the door wishing Harry a happy birthday. He then told Harry Potter all about his life that he could and asked Harry would come to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry accepted and went on a adventure with two friends called Ron Herminie. Together they go on an amazing journey filled with excitement, fear,wonder, and magic.
Kid, 9 years old March 9, 2013

Awesome, not too big of an issue

GREAT FIRST BOOK- really drags you into the story. I started reading Harry Potter books when I was six, but didn't understand the concept so I picked up the book again when I was 7 and devoured it in 3 days. Language is a little issue because Uncle Vernon says something bad about the letters Harry is getting so when I read that out loud, I replaced the word and no one noticed. Some kids get scared during the big dog fluffy and Quirells transformation so it is a little violent, but not as mature as the other books. Hope this helps and, have fun reading!
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2011
this is good for your avid readers parents.
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2009

Amazing Book

I love it! It was so exciting!! I couldn't stop reading and I am so glad that this is a series.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytrackgirl175 July 18, 2009

great book

i think this is a great book for ages 7 and up. my little sibling just read it and thinks its great she understood all of it i recently reread it and love it as much as i did as when i was younger.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

dangerous series

i think that this book and its series are not what people think. a lot of parents will go for these just because it gets their kids reading. i find that a rather stupid motive. give your kid something dangerous because it might get them to do something good? i have read this book and others in the series. the "good" characters frequently lie, disobey authority, cheat, and what's more, they are rewarded. i know many say that they had "good motives" but this only teaches that if someone has good intentions, he/she may use ANY MEANS in order to accomplish that for "the greater good." also, the main theme of the book is witchcraft. there are "good" witches and wizards and "bad" ones. witchcraft is very dangerous, and for those who dont know, its very real. kids can go on the harry potter website and actually learn spells, and other things about it. this book teaches that you may fight for good, but you can use deceitful means, it doesn't matter as long as you have good intentions. children will believe that they will be rewarded at the end of what they have done if its a good thing, yet it doesn't matter how they have accomplished it. this is a dangerous idea. i wouldn't give children this book for anything. though i will admit that it is written well, it is wrong for children to read. it will interest them in witchcraft, teach that lying, cheating, and disrespect to authority is alright as long as they get what they want. another issue is harry's "family." in the story they are not good people, but children who cannot get along with their parents, who may in fact be good and loving people, will associate them with harry's relatives, and simply conlude that since harry's family was stupid and mean, they did not deserve obedience and respect. many who read this will think im "nuts" and will write reviews in conflict stating "dont listen to that critical review this book is amazing blah blah blah..." well, everyone has a free will. but if you read the book maybe you'll notice these things when you didn't before.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMn209603 September 30, 2015

Amazing!!!

This is the book I could live in !This book is about a teen going to a journey of his life .The teen was the star of a team of a sport you had never heard of .Basicly it all happened in his home or room .This was one of the greatest books I have ever read because all of the drama , hope , and the people in it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreakingbooknerd April 6, 2015

Awesome!

A awesome read for new readers! Amazing book, nicely paced.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKatyMarii February 2, 2014

Awesome!

I love this book so much. It's a classicc and very witty yet has lots of action and thriller. I defo reccomend this book. It's got an excellent plot line and charaters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd January 2, 2014

Spoiler Free Review :)

This is one of my all-time favorite books and I'll never forget the moment I first entered the magical world of Harry Potter. As a teen, I personally would suggest this novel for ages 11 and up for the following reasons (my opinions on content): Violence: There really isn't much violence I can remember until the very end. Harry plays Quidditch (a school game involving flying balls and players riding on broomsticks) which may be slightly intense for some very young viewers, otherwise very lighthearted, but still action-packed enough to keep you reading. At the end of the book (remember, spoiler free here) Harry and his friends face a dangerous situation and have to pass through deadly obstacles. Harry, in particular, encounters the 'bad guy' at the end and has to defeat him (or at least escape) and stop him from stealing a powerful object. As there is a big shocker here I won't reveal too much; the main factor here is the villain repeatedly yelling that he wants to kill Harry as he does attempt to do so. This may be stressful for audiences 9 and under, but I think most 10 and up can handle it. Language: Harry's uncle says the d-word once in the very beginning of the story. Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking: Harry's adult friend Hagrid, although lovable, is known to drink and spend times at bars. A key part of the story centers on a time Hagrid reflects on meeting a stranger at a bar and having a conversation with him. We never actually see Hagrid there, but it is mentioned. This is a very fun and exciting story that will keep you guessing until the very end and a must read for every tween/teen. As for those concerned about witchcraft/magic content, here is my opinion below: Witchcraft/Magic/Spiritual: The entire series centers on Harry becoming a wizard at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. He takes classes such as Transfiguration, Potions, and Defense Against the Dark Arts that help him prepare to be a wizard in this new world he is opened up to. When I first heard about the series, I always believed the books were dark and entirely centered around witchcraft and such. But after reading these, I've realized that it is most certainly not based around that. The themes in Harry Potter (especially this one) are incredible and very nice (such as friendship, love, and many more). The wizarding world is set up as a story device to tell this incredible story. According to the series, there are good wizards and bad wizards; ones who strive for peace and ones who long for destruction. Good vs. Evil is a key theme/plot to the story and is very insightful. As the story progresses, the story does get more intense and yes, as many claim, dark. But what many fail to realize is that it is mainly to show us more of the villain (the evil wizards) as they begin to rise again. If J. K. Rowling never did this, how would the story progress? Hopefully this review helped you decide whether or not you (or your child) should or would like to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshootit October 29, 2011

Good but not super good

well its not s good as the other books. But it does have good role models and all that crap. It's about Harry's first year and he meets two people. He wants to learn how to magic. This book is so much better than the twigh light saga. This book is great but the 7th was the best. Than the 4th than the 5th than the 6th than comes the 2nd than the 1st and last the 3rd. You should read this book its good but not super duper good.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2010
I love this book very much. It is my favorite book so far.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymclaren700 April 5, 2009

It was a very good story that will keep you reading until the very end!

I hate the people who give it 1 star because there parents are religous ediots and dont want to even speak the word 'magic'. It is a nice book and 14 year olds I think should be allowed to read a nine year old book. If you're not allowed to read it, WHY DID YOU REVIEW IT???
Teen, 13 years old Written byEubanks February 14, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Teen, 15 years old Written bydancingqueen16 September 9, 2015

A little scary for younger kids but overall amazing

Harry potter is one of my favorite book series! Im not going to lie Ive probably read the series 15+ times and i love it more and more after each read. This book has good role models such as Dumbledore who is kind and fair, and Hermione who vaules knowledge and strives to learn more each day. This is only scary in the parts with Voldemort and once a child is older they will be able to fully comphrend that this is a fictional book! Defitinate read for any avid reader!
Kid, 9 years old January 26, 2011

so good

harry is a great role models lord v bad
Teen, 13 years old Written bylannaia1 October 3, 2014

Great book

This book is nothing compared to all the other books in the series but its still awsome!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpeak Now June 4, 2012

AWESOME BOOK!

This is an amazing series(I have read them all 3 times)! I have two little brothers, a ten year old who is on the 7th book, and a seven year old who finished the 3rd book but is not aloud to read past this because the books get a little scary. The first two or three books are okay for younger kids who are strong readers, however the story is suspenseful at times. Other than that it is perfect for all ages(even my mom likes them)