All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 0 years old September 28, 2009

Great, Dark, Mystical and Funny--If your Child is Up for it.

I do hold the belief that J.K Rowling should be ranked right up there with William Shakespeare on the "Measurements of Brilliant Literature" scale. With her tale focusing on a boy whose SCAR is a symbol of wonder, Rowling manages to make her own writing style without making it seem...deranged. She has indeed disproved the old stereotype of "British humor", as each novel--as far as I have read--has more than one hilarious moment in them. Some may seem slightly gross, but appear to be only so in movie format, as the author is polite enough not to go into detail. The book series DOES, however, have a recurring theme of violence, but only when necessary, or when merely to the readers pleasure (because we all wanted Draco to get punched in the face by Hermione. Admit it.) For example, one book features a large snake-like monster (that I wouldn't happen to remember the specific term for at the moment), which is brought down by Harry when he shoves a sword into the roof of its mouth, but again, it never goes into bloody detail. Another concern is that the Defense against the Dark Arts teachers are practically their universe's version of the Red shirts--that makes sense if you watch Star Trek--because they are usually only for the job once, but I do recall that only one died, the other one was fired, and I still haven't finished the third. (Perhaps he quit?) Anyway, the "Harry Potter" series is a fun and unique ride to take with your children without regretting--so saying, if you believe they're ready for EVER SO SLIGHT violence.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMeggieF January 12, 2010

One of my favorites!

One of my favorites! I could read it over and over again!
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011
I adore the entire series and love the educational value and positive messages as well as the role model's decisions in the books. There are a few small british obscenities throughout the series (prat, git, stupid idiot) as well as a few swear words as the book series progress (d-m, h-ll, b-ch,a-s) but very brief. Educational value in the sense that study habits are very good by the main characters (Hermione) Two or three instances where characters have heated wand battles and a few injuries are described in detail. A few places where kissing is described and happens and in one place a boy comments about how many children Ronald's mom has, in an almost sexual way.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhermione1226 March 7, 2015

A Magical Ride

This is the series that founded my love for reading. THANK YOU, J.K. Rowling! I picked up the first book over the summer going into kindergarten. (Almost six years old), and I still adore the series today. I immediately fell in love with the characters, and had no problem with the scariness. And by "scariness", I mean a troll getting loose is Hogwarts, kids facing off with a three-headed dog (made less scary by his name, Fluffy), Harry encountering a cloaked figure drinking the blood of a unicorn, or Harry finding out that one of his teachers is a two-faced traitor. Literally. For a younger child that is easily scared, or has a history of nightmares from scary movies and such, you might want to wait a bit. But for a kid that is fine with some scares, this book is a go.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn January 10, 2009
I love this book! It is really, really good! I couldn't stop until I finished!
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2013

Amazing

BEST BOOK EVER! Great role models and amazing life lessons!
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2013

Harry potter is a great book

I think it is a great kick off to the series and features with some action, mystery and a little humor. I think it may be a little violent for kids that are under nine. It also has some positive messages and role models. It is a great story line and it has a great contribution to the wonderful series and is a great piece of writing from J K Rowling and I defiantly recommend it to 9 and up. Last but not least it has adventure and really good adventure too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byQuirky January 15, 2011

A Classic!

When I read this book way back in 5th grade, I was intrigued about what the hype was about. Now I know! J.K. Rowling's writing is fluid and engaging, and I simply couldn't put it down! It is a little violent, but besides that, the messages are good. There are a few mentions of alcohol, but nothing too serious. This is a great book, destined to be a classic, and I certainly recommend you read it, but be prepared to stay up all night reading!! :)
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2010

READ THIS BOOK

Great female characters, engaging, fast-action, mystery and adventure! I loved how it was such a creative fantasy story, and so inspiring. I've never loved writing fantasy stories more.
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2010

What can i say? it Harry Potter

most likely my faveorite series (GO TEAM HP!!!!!! BOOO TWILIGHT TEAM!!!)
Teen, 13 years old Written byalex advice September 30, 2011

grow with the books

ok parents, heres what you need to know about the harry potter series. whatever age harry is, in the book, thats the age the kids should be when they read it. example; book 1=11 book 2= 12 the kids are supposed to grow with harry.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA August 19, 2009

The Harry Potter series can easily turn non readers into reading fanatics.

As the csm review says, for parents tired of the hours spent playing video games by their kids, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the solution. It's a marvelous book that will appeal to children, but not only to children. Adults and teens alike have fallen in love with this series and will continue to do so for good reason. noone is better at moving the story along like Rowling is. There isn't a dry or boring spot in the entire series, at least not that I have found. This is a must read for kids 9 and older.
Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2011

A Slow Start, But a Real Treat

Even though this book is a little slow at the start, it is an absolutely wonderful start to one of the most popular series in modern times. There is use of the d-word and some peril, but there are positive role models and plenty of humor. Kids won't want to put this one down!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater November 7, 2010

A truly magical book, perfect for any book- lover, that includes adults, and teens alike!

Harry Potter's beginning isn't given enough credit. It truly is one of the best series openers I have read. The plot: Harry is just an average kid, well except the fact that he's a wizard, except he doesn't even know that, all he knows is his brutal Aunt and Uncle.But then is life changes, when he is accepted to Hogwarts, Witch Craft, and Wizardly! There he meets Ron, is forever side kick! Harry also meets Hagrid, the loving half- giant. There a mystery starts... I really enjoyed this one. I really feel like this book didn't really plop into anyone's heart, and that I don't get. Look at the new children's books that are coming out, Charlie Bone, Fablehaven, and that's just the beginning of a long list. I would much rather hang out with the Harry gang, any day. The ending I guess isn't the best ending, but still I love this book. The violence isn't too scary, except a battle with an ogor, which isn't too bad. And a scary battle with a man with two faces! Enjoy!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzyowl November 17, 2008

A fun and outstanding book that keeps you going.

This book gave me a whole new world! When i am upset or going through rough times, Harry Potter is my hero. This is the first book to the best series ever so don't miss out! You will wish you were a witch or wizard, too!
Kid, 12 years old September 25, 2010

BEST BOOK EVER!

It's HARRY POTTER. what can i say?
Teen, 14 years old Written byalanna77 April 9, 2008

An amazing series!

I loved all of the books in this series! Even in this very first one there is a sense of magic not solving everything, but love being the strongest thing in the world.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2012

Great

I know this sounds wierd or unbelievable but its true: I read this when I was 5 in under a week and I've read the whole series about 17 times since. This is my second favorite series. The funny thing is my favorite series (The Lord of the Rings) I've only read twice. J. K. Rowling creates a wonderful fantasy world where leadership, loyalty, determination, and a certain disregard for rules are valued. The characters age with the authors experiance which makes for an interesting read. I labeled this book O.K. for 7 and up. Well the next book should be labeled 8 and up, and the next 9 and up, and so on. There are also more "love", bad language and drinking in later bookes. Also an increase in violence, but as bad things grow good things become more aparent. More values and role models become more distinct. I Highly recomend this book.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2010

Perfect for the whole family

It is a really wonderful fantasy story and one of the best on this earth. The thing is, it can be from 8+ to adults. Everyone will love this story
Kid, 10 years old August 14, 2010

Good for people 8+

Great Book. I read it when I was 8. It would most likely scare children younger then that. There was a curse word here and there, but as long as a child 8+ read it they wouldn't go saying it.