All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Magical start of bestselling Potter phenomenon.

Kid, 0 years old September 28, 2009

Great, Dark, Mystical and Funny--If your Child is Up for it.

I do hold the belief that J.K Rowling should be ranked right up there with William Shakespeare on the "Measurements of Brilliant Literature" scale. With her tale focusing on a boy whose SCAR is a symbol of wonder, Rowling manages to make her own writing style without making it seem...deranged. She has indeed disproved the old stereotype of "British humor", as each novel--as far as I have read--has more than one hilarious moment in them. Some may seem slightly gross, but appear to be only so in movie format, as the author is polite enough not to go into detail. The book series DOES, however, have a recurring theme of violence, but only when necessary, or when merely to the readers pleasure (because we all wanted Draco to get punched in the face by Hermione. Admit it.) For example, one book features a large snake-like monster (that I wouldn't happen to remember the specific term for at the moment), which is brought down by Harry when he shoves a sword into the roof of its mouth, but again, it never goes into bloody detail. Another concern is that the Defense against the Dark Arts teachers are practically their universe's version of the Red shirts--that makes sense if you watch Star Trek--because they are usually only for the job once, but I do recall that only one died, the other one was fired, and I still haven't finished the third. (Perhaps he quit?) Anyway, the "Harry Potter" series is a fun and unique ride to take with your children without regretting--so saying, if you believe they're ready for EVER SO SLIGHT violence.
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011
I adore the entire series and love the educational value and positive messages as well as the role model's decisions in the books. There are a few small british obscenities throughout the series (prat, git, stupid idiot) as well as a few swear words as the book series progress (d-m, h-ll, b-ch,a-s) but very brief. Educational value in the sense that study habits are very good by the main characters (Hermione) Two or three instances where characters have heated wand battles and a few injuries are described in detail. A few places where kissing is described and happens and in one place a boy comments about how many children Ronald's mom has, in an almost sexual way.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMeggieF January 12, 2010

One of my favorites!

One of my favorites! I could read it over and over again!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhermione1226 March 7, 2015

A Magical Ride

This is the series that founded my love for reading. THANK YOU, J.K. Rowling! I picked up the first book over the summer going into kindergarten. (Almost six years old), and I still adore the series today. I immediately fell in love with the characters, and had no problem with the scariness. And by "scariness", I mean a troll getting loose is Hogwarts, kids facing off with a three-headed dog (made less scary by his name, Fluffy), Harry encountering a cloaked figure drinking the blood of a unicorn, or Harry finding out that one of his teachers is a two-faced traitor. Literally. For a younger child that is easily scared, or has a history of nightmares from scary movies and such, you might want to wait a bit. But for a kid that is fine with some scares, this book is a go.
Kid, 11 years old March 28, 2009

I say, some people just don't understand the books at all!

This is just the beginning of how it all started, you can't expect it to be a happy story, like a perfect family or something like that! That's highly impossible to rate this 9! I'd prefer it to be rated 17+ or something!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySingStarGemZ November 22, 2013

Great Children's Literature

My parents didn't allow me to read this series until I was 10. Once I had completed the series, I realized that I could have digested the books at a younger age, probably about 8 or 9. While there are some dark underlying themes that are accentuated in later books, the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, is an excellent example of intermediate children's literature. There is very little language and though their is some violence implied, nothing extremely graphic is described. I am now 14 and still enjoy reading this book. Great to be read by themselves or with an adult.
Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2013

Great!

I love this series. It's great for kids who love action and adventure!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzyowl November 17, 2008

A fun and outstanding book that keeps you going.

This book gave me a whole new world! When i am upset or going through rough times, Harry Potter is my hero. This is the first book to the best series ever so don't miss out! You will wish you were a witch or wizard, too!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysammy4488 January 16, 2012

OMG! THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!

OMG! I love the Harry Potter series, I've read it 3 times! It is soooooo amazingly good. I can not believe Rowling has this whole world in her head! I recomend this to anyone and everyone. It is one of the best books you will ever read! You'll fall in love with the world of Hogwarts!
Teen, 13 years old Written byQuirky January 15, 2011

A Classic!

When I read this book way back in 5th grade, I was intrigued about what the hype was about. Now I know! J.K. Rowling's writing is fluid and engaging, and I simply couldn't put it down! It is a little violent, but besides that, the messages are good. There are a few mentions of alcohol, but nothing too serious. This is a great book, destined to be a classic, and I certainly recommend you read it, but be prepared to stay up all night reading!! :)
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2009

Wonderful movie

It was a great movie and a little violent. It isn't educational unless you're a wizard. I would'nt say it had good role models because the kids are constantly breaking roles and getting in trouble. Morale: Never trust people wearing turbans!
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2009

Amazing Book

I love it! It was so exciting!! I couldn't stop reading and I am so glad that this is a series.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylaci01 April 3, 2009

Outstanding!!!

I read this book not expecting much out of it... but after I finished I was blown away!!!! This is a wonderful thought out story that is amazingly written. But I don't think it's a good idea for young young kids read it because they might actually want to get involved with sorcery and witchcraft. But I've read this and I'm almost done with the second one. They are both truly amazing!! READ THEM!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byalanna77 April 9, 2008

An amazing series!

I loved all of the books in this series! Even in this very first one there is a sense of magic not solving everything, but love being the strongest thing in the world.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybkwormbooks August 25, 2015

A fantastic, all around entertaining novel for families and people of all ages!!!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the first novel published by English author J.K. Rowling. This novel is a great family read! It is about an orphaned boy (Harry Potter) who is raised by his aunt and uncle who try to keep him hidden and downtrodden as much as possible. He knows very little about his parents until his 11th birthday when Hagrid appears at his door ans whisks him off to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where Harry learns more about his parents, their tragic deaths, Voldemort, and of course magic. All while making new friends and adjusting to his new life and, as the series progresses, dealing with the usual adolescent pains. The series continues until his final duel with the Dark Lord in book 7 (at the age of 17). The further you advance in the series, there is more violence (not gruesome) and also a lot of exploration of death. I have given it a rating of 5 an up because it is a great book for parents to read to small children. By the time they reach the heavier novels, they will be old enough to handle it. I speak from personal experience as this was the first book that I read solo (age 4 or 5) and I read all the novels and seen all the movies by the time I was 10. This book in no way promotes witchcraft, inappropriate behavior or violence. J.K. Rowling herself even admitted that "[she] does not believe in the kind of magic in [her] books. But [she] does believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." In addition there is no foul language (excluding a few "Bloody Hells!" , "prat", and "git"). Also the fear factor involved in very minimal in this book and is only hyped by the movie. The book it's self does not go into detail except adding a bit of on-the-edge-of-your-seat anticipation for a page or two. Violence is hard to come by except the very end when Harry must fight for the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's stone. Even that is short lived as Harry passes out afterward. In addition, this book presents great moral examples for children about love and the power of lover. Plus the first few book are light and comedic while slowly delving into and teaching children about death, determination, love, courage, friendship, etc at an appropriate pace and detail. The characters are realistic, diverse, great role models, and this is a great way to get a young child interested in both books and movies!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlue Dolphin March 22, 2014

Excellent Read, However Violence is Included

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is overall an excellent book. However, fantasy violence and loads of magic might not be suitable for children from the age of 7-8 and under.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Great Story!

I read this book when I was 8, and it had me hooked from the first page! Amazing story about a boy named Harry who is always being bullied by his cousin who discovers he is a wizard. At the wizard school (Hogwarts) he attends he has many adventures, makes new best friends(Ron and Hermione), and he also makes himself an enemy, Draco Malfoy. I think 7-11 year olds will enjoy the book, maybe 7 year olds might be a little scared about the dangers Harry has to face, especially at the end of the book, but overall a well-written, engaging, enjoyable story!
Kid, 9 years old March 9, 2013

Awesome, not too big of an issue

GREAT FIRST BOOK- really drags you into the story. I started reading Harry Potter books when I was six, but didn't understand the concept so I picked up the book again when I was 7 and devoured it in 3 days. Language is a little issue because Uncle Vernon says something bad about the letters Harry is getting so when I read that out loud, I replaced the word and no one noticed. Some kids get scared during the big dog fluffy and Quirells transformation so it is a little violent, but not as mature as the other books. Hope this helps and, have fun reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilypenny January 1, 2013

Please Stop With The Criticism! *spoilers alert*

I'm an avid reader, and by avid I mean I'll read anyhting you put in front of me, but whether i like it or not is a compltely different story. Harry Potter was introduced to me at the age of 10, for my parents thought that Harry Potter not only contained evil magic, but also bad role models and kids getting away with wrong doings. First of all, magic IS evil. Witchcraft in the real world is evil and shouldn't be practiced. However, Harry's magic is different. His story isn't about magic, it's about defeating the most evil wizard in the world, while protecting his friends, while juggling the pressure of being a boy becoming mature. Dumbledore states many times that love is the best magic, Harry is even protected by his diseased mother's love multiple times. As for kids getting away with wrong doings, the only times main characters disobey the rules, (Harry, Ron, Hermione, the DA, etc) is when they know they need to! For example, *spoiler* in the Sorcerer's Stone, the kids know that Snape is trying to steal the Stone, and in order to defend the Stone and prevent Voldemort from coming back, they MUST disobey the rules and go to the third floor corridor, which saves Hogwarts. As for bad role models, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! The main character, Harry, makes the ultimate sacrifice in the end! *spoiler alert* He meets Voldemort in the forbidden forest in book seven and dies to save his friends, and even for many people he doen't know! Now, if that's not good role modeling, I don't know what is. And not to mention Neville! In th beginning he looks like a fearful little boy, but he becomes one of the bravest of them all! Many characters in the beginning who seem like jerks turn out to be heroes! So please, stop with the criticism. 10/10 stars. My favorite series of all time.
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2012

NUMBER 1!!!

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK SERISE EVER!!! If you think the movie were good, read the books!!! A little violence here and there, but nothing much. Older kids will get the story better than younger ones. I wish CSM could give us more stars to rate on, 'cause I would rate it 99999999999 stars! (Even more!) If you think this book doesn't look any good, look what people made out of it! The Lego Harry Potter Vidio Game, Harry Potter World in Orlando Florda, A Harry Potter Cookbook. A book that will never be out of style!!!!!!