All member reviews for Hatchet

Hold on tight for an intense tale of survival.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymcdolins August 2, 2011

Adult issues involved

To be honest, I am disappointed that this book is regarded so highly. Although it is well-written and I am sure that my almost-10-year-old will love the adventure story when his 4th grade class reads it this year, I do not believe that it is appropriate for him to be reading about the character's "secret" - the fact that he knows about his mother's marital infidelity that led to his parents' divorce. This is adult content, not suitable for children of this age. Also, the graphic detail at the beginning of the book (describing how the main character gets stranded) is scary...
Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Fast-paced!

I absoulutely LOVE this book, but one of the big issues is the Brian's mother cheated on his father. Brian must kill many things to survive in the wild, there are also a few iffy words used. Brian often thinks of McDonald's, but he is a great role-model! This is a great book for any one ages 9+!
Adult Written byRhonda21 April 9, 2008

only for mature readers

I do not recomment this book for children younger than 6th or 7th grade. Content not suitable for young readers: adultery/mother's affair, profanity and use of God's name in vain. My 10 yr old daughter had this book as an assignment and I pulled her out of it. I was appalled her teacher made this a required reading for 4th grade. My daughter hated the part of the book she read and was happy not to have to read it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNoseBleed April 26, 2011

I didn't like it but you might! :)

I thought that Hatchet was an okay book. The story line was somewhat boring in places and didn’t have any strong characters. Yes, Brian was there and you got to know him somewhat, but there was no other character interaction. I’m not saying it has to be another person that magically appears in the middle of the wilderness but it would be nice if Brian had a companion of some sort. Also, Hatchet seemed to be written very poorly. Almost every sentence was repeated many times and it annoyed me very much! But I have to say, I did like the fact that I felt like I learned something in the end! If I were stranded in the wilderness I might be able to make it a few days longer with the help of Hatchet! :) To me, the book had no "Inappropriate" things whatsoever. Yeah, he did kill some animals but don't we all eat meat?
Parent Written byUpset Mom October 18, 2011

Too dark.

My sixth grade son was crying and could not sleep after reading about the heart attack details. I'm now reading it too so I can help him with the divorce issues and suicide issues. Aren't there books with good messages that are not so dark?
Parent Written byhudziak July 14, 2011

Hatchet

Brian is a 13-year-old boy whose parents are divorced. He survives a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness en route to visit his father and must use the hatchet his mother once gave him to stay alive.
Adult Written byYo Teach May 18, 2011

Great book, quick read and enjoyable for even middle aged readers.

Great book. Gave it to my students and they didn't want to put it down. My only negative comment would be I had a parent complain about the mention of the main character's mother having an affair with another man. Other than that this is a great book to get students to read.
Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2011

good book

good book read it for school my fav part is the tornado
Teen, 17 years old Written bybeautifulgirl77 September 14, 2010

Parent of a 10 year old Written bywilymama@yahoo.com August 2, 2014

Hatchet: not appropriate for all ages

I read this book before going to help out in the classroom of my 4th grader. I was completely surprised by the content. There were some great moments in this book where the main character overcomes many obstacles to survive, but those are overshadowed by edgier topics such as "The Secret" which is an affair the mother is having, an attempted suicide and anxiety inducing scenes such as witnessing a heart attack, crashing a plane and experiencing a tornado. I would not recommend this book for 10 year-olds because I do not believe they are ready to process these topics.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhanniefrannie July 10, 2011

im a good book but not for little kids

well it was the best at pages 1-32 the middle kinda tells how he survives but the end was good,now i think well im 10 and some of the words i couldn't read and it said a couple of bad words so i'd say ages 10-29 anyway it was good and if you read you will enjoy it but once you start you just can't stop (literally) love ya'll bye ps. don't let kids under the age of 10 read it Thank you
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2009

I loved this book, and it's very educational! I read this in 4th grade and our whole class loved it!!!!
Kid, 8 years old March 4, 2009

sweet

I just loved this book it was so cool. I couldn't stop reading it.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

*yawn* zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So boring! We read this as a class, and half the class liked it. I was on the not liking side. The book just didn't interest me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybradymurray February 2, 2012

MY REVIEW!!!

terrible book. just, terrible
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2011

Really good book!

We read this for school at our Surviour Book club and I thought it wouldn't be the most exciting book. The first few chapters were sort of just intruducing how the book starts.. which is where he's in the plane and I didn't really want to keep reading but I did, and it got REALLY, really good!
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2010

A repetitive and gross book

This book was intesting at the beggining and the very end, but during the middle it kind of slowed down and got boring, and repetitive. some good words to describe it are eposodic(if that was spelled correctly), repetitive, and repulsive.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats February 1, 2010

Parent of a 11 year old Written byPatty101 July 7, 2009

Bad for girly girls

My daughter HATED the book. I think it is great for boys.
Kid, 12 years old July 9, 2013

Bear, BerrIES, Moose, and Mosquitoes! Oh, My! (Not to mention a tornado and a dying pilot) (and a plane crash because of said pilot) (and a near-drowning)

This book is like sushi-you've either never had it, love it, or hate it. Well, it IS hard to visualize the scenery sometimes. And lots of mild violence/suffering. See the title for that. Anyway, I'm in the love it group.