All member reviews for Hatchet

A very interesting book.

Very Very interesting on how a young boy survives on a island and is first tool was a hatchet. It shows that city people can survive without t.v.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGloBugXOXO April 9, 2008

not bad for a required book. wouldn't waste my money.

I had to read it in 6th grade. Compared to some books we had to read, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't waste my money to buy it for myself.

i crued after i thought he was going to get killed...lol

This is s very good book i read this in the 4ht grade and i think it is very interesting and younger kids i think would love it...=]
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2015

AWESOME BOOK

This book is very popular, and it deserves it! It does have some dark themes to it, like when the narrator tells you about " the secret". As for language, "damn" was used once, but that's all. Brian undergoes pretty intense stuff, like encountering a timber wolf ( the wolf ends up leaving him alone ) getting beat up by a moose, etc. As for sex, when the narrator tells you about the day Brian discovered " the secret", he says that Brian's mom kissed a man " deeply, with her hand on the man's cheek" refrencing tongue kissing. But, this is a GREAT book, and as long as you're 11 or older and you like survival/adventure novels, you should read this book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywadupkidossmidospido June 9, 2015

shit book smells like fish bumhole

hey kidos smell my hndif you like this book its gots no sex and drugs wat is this crap book I like fifty shades of grey its hot it makes me comfortable
Kid, 8 years old February 23, 2015

A great book for strong readers

I think this is a great book and the sequel "Brian's winter" is great too. My reading level is 6.3 so I read at a 6th graders level so this was quite easy to read for me. It is a mid-5th grade level but anyone can read it.
Kid, 9 years old February 10, 2015

Very scary for me

There is a lot of violence and vomiting. There is a positive role model, Brian's old teacher. There is a part where it is a little innapropriate.
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2014

Don't Even Bother to Read this Book!

The only reason I read this book was for school. I would definetly not have read it on my own accord! The beginning was way to slow and boring and the author repeated a lot and when I say a lot I mean A LOT!!! That really got on my nerves! Then you really start getting into, but then the end disappoints you like you have never been disappointed before!!! It was way too rushed! He couldn't have just added an extra chapter?! Really?!
Teen, 13 years old Written byprofessorfluffaluff June 22, 2014

WORST BOOK EVER!!!!!

This was a HORRIBLE book. Disgusting, frightening, and redundant. The plot is boring except for parts that are much more upbeat. The sudden switch between these two opposite styles is confusing and too short. There is no positive value in the book or good messages. I HATED this book, do NOT read it!!!
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2014

I don't know how to feel

While this book wasn't my favourite, I liked reading about him surviving and learned quite a few things. This book was not based on guessing, Gary Paulsen lived a lot of these things that happen.
Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2014

Horrible Book

Horrid Book. Do not even bother with this one but if you really want to read it then go ahead. I had to read this for a book club but I just listened to the audiobook. It was not a good one.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2014

Not that exciting

Sure, it's a well-written book... okay, I won't even give it that. The sentence structure is very poor and it's completely boring. Aside from the implied adultery and crude ways of killing animals, it would be fine for any child of grade 4 or higher.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySocrates2000 January 19, 2014

Dumb Book

Ugh, don't get me started on this horrible book. I would give this 0 stars if I could. Everything is so coincidental, and the guy got so lucky that it's unimaginable. Teachers love the "symbolism" in Hatchet. I think the reason why teachers go "deep" when kids read this novel is because if they stay on the "surface", they realize how dumb the book is. It is also totally unrealistic! I mean, when you are in the wilderness, on a plane that is crashing, etc., you should not be thinking about your parents' divorce! Gary Paulsen tries to add some emotional parts, and it doesn't really work out. Sorry Gary.
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2013

Awesome Book

Its a little gross but I mean you do what you have to do. To the person who thinks its not for girls, I'm a girl and its one of my favorites. Some people also say that its not for people my age because his mom is cheating on his dad, well sometimes that happens in REAL LIFE! Its a excellent book but not for very young readers.
Kid, 10 years old August 9, 2013

I love it!!!!!

I think this book has to be one of my favorites. It left me in suspense every chapter-end. I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old April 1, 2013

The AWESOME Hatchet Review

I gave the book hatchet a reveiw of four stars. I liked it because it was interesting to learn all the new vocabulary and how to survive in the vast Canadian wilderness.I disliked it because Brian swore once or twice and because there was too much repitation. The repetition made me like the book a bit less. I would recomend this book to children who like books full of adventures and books about survival. I'm sure other reveiwers would recommend the same. The book Hatchet was a wonderful, interesting book and remember to read its sequal, The River.
Kid, 10 years old March 15, 2013

I absolutley loved this book!

I absolutley loved this book! I would give it 5 stars. I think this book got what it deserved because Gary Paulsen (the author) followed the topic survival so well that you couldnot ask for more.Gary Paulsen used outstanding detail one main example is how hard it was for Brian to find food. I also think Gary Paulsen did a great job explaining Brian's emotions.Last Gary Paulsen made a very cute ending.I absoloutly loved this book this is why I would give this book 5 stars.
Kid, 10 years old March 9, 2013

Hatchet

We Read This Story In School.It's Awesome! It's About A Boy Named Brian Robeson, And His Parents Are Divorced. So,He Flys Out On A Plane To Visit His Father.But,The Piolet Has A Heart Attack,So Brian Takes Control Of The Plane And Lands It In A Lake In The Woods.Then,Brian Has To Learn To Survive In The Wilderness With Only A Hatchet.He Encounters A Bear,A Tornado Comes,And Starting A Fire.This Book Is A Classic,Just Like Dogsong,Another Great Story.I Leave You With One Thing:Do You Think Brian Gets Rescued In The End?
Teen, 16 years old Written bytimmy169248 February 6, 2013

a very good book

it is a good storie about a young boy who has to survive
Teen, 15 years old Written byBarba Manley Books January 10, 2013

parents recomendation

i think its good for parents to make their children read this because it can teach them a lesson.