All member reviews for Holes

Humorous and moving story has an edge.

Kid, 9 years old November 17, 2009

good for people who like mysteries

it is a great book with mysteries and flashbacks
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

main story, ok. sub story- whoa

the actual main story is ok, sometimes boring and sometimes really funny (stanley's family blames all their bad luck on a cursed 'no good rotten pig stealing great great grandfather'. when the psychiatrist tells him 'there's one person responsible for the trouble you're in (meaning stanley) stanley says 'yes. my no good rotten...) part of the history of the story, though, completely blew me away. it was about a school teacher in the West who was in love with a black man. he got hanged, and she became a criminal because of her hatred of cruel- or any- laws. twenty years later she is hunted down by a former student of hers and told that if she doesn't tell him where she hid all her stolen treasure he'll make her wish she was dead. she tells him that she'd been wishing she was dead for twenty years. the author uses simple, simple language, no flowery adjectives, and it makes it all the more powerful. an amazing book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelizzabeth March 24, 2011

best for the preteens and young adults

i think that the book was very good but for a older age. i do believe that louis should of used a little less drinking/smoking and a little better language but other than that it was realy good. =)
Parent Written byaverage mom November 22, 2011

Too dark for younger kids

This book is not terribly difficult reading, but the content really isn't appropriate for young children. It is quite violent and, at times, sadistic. While the overall themes are friendship, loyalty, and redemption (all positive), the book contains a planned racially motivated lynching, murder by gunshot to the head, sexual harassment, torture by rattlesnake venom, child abuse, child abandonment, and one reference to being drunk on whiskey. All of these items, in one book, make it pretty dark and potentially scary for kids younger than middle school. Age appropriate readers will likely enjoy the book for its more positive messages and humor, although the ending is a bit hokey.
Kid, 9 years old May 14, 2011

READ NOW!

This book proves that hard work really pays off. Nothing was wrong in the book and the chapters are really short (which I love)!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byk3ndallschmidt September 20, 2010
i didnt like holes it sucked i had to read it for school in 7th grade yuck! i feel asleep
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 29, 2009
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2013

Digging Holes

When Stanley Yelnats got sent to Camp Green Lake he was innocent. He said that some shoes fell from the sky, but he made friends while he was at Camp Green Lake. Zero, or Hector Zeroni, ran away, so a couple days later Stanley stole a car and drove away. Why? Because he went looking for Zero, his best friend! How did they stay alive? First they drank sploosh and Zero got sick and barfed out the sploosh. Then Stanley found water on a mountain called God’s Thumb, then they found onions and lived off those. You might ask, “Who were the main characters?” The main characters were Stanley and Zero, the Warden, X-Ray, Armpit, Squid, Mr. Pendaski and Mr. Sir. You might also ask, “Where were they?” Well, they were at Camp Green Lake, which was a dried up lake with a bunch of holes. If you have read it, did you like it? I love Holes! It’s one of my favorite books. I think parents should let them read Holes 8+. Why? Because Holes has some scary parts.
Kid, 10 years old March 13, 2011

Great Book

Great book! When I read the back cover, it said it was about a camp that makes boys dig holes all day, so I thought it might be a little boring, but I actaully couldn't stop reading it! And I can't believe k3ndallschmidt said it sucked. What the heck? It was a awesome book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 April 26, 2010

holes

the movies better
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2012

Bad ones become Good

I think it is an awesome book my child loves it!!!!!!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byrav September 26, 2009
Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008
GREATE story, never could have imagined that ending!
Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveJaretReddick March 7, 2012

loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i loved the book so much. though i have to admit that i watched the movie before the book, but i recommend the book and the movie! =)
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2011
when i was reading holes i found the sentence WHAT THE HELL IN IT AND I FOUND YOURE DRUNK ! AND I FOUND HALLUCINATIONS IN THE BOOK but i still love it !!!!!!
Educator and Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bybrantwalker April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old October 28, 2013

I love this book!

I think this book is really interesting. The sentence no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great great grandfather was really funny. I think even adults will like this book.
Kid, 11 years old May 31, 2012

Holes is AWESOME!!!

I LOVE IT!!! It's my favorite book of all time but it does have a little violence. The violence happens rarely and it really does has an interesting plot.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytakethatcharlie January 3, 2012

AWESOME!

awesome book.
Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2011

Love this book!

Perfect book for any teen or preteen. Not ideal for most children.