All member reviews for Homecoming

Classic novel of four brave children looking for a home.

Adult Written bysoccerrules March 1, 2011

BAD!

This is the worst book ever DO NOT READ IT. Had to read it as a novel study torcher reading it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byadkesalyn January 6, 2011

A must read.

Love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShelby~Renee April 9, 2008

Sad and happy. I didn't want to put it down until it was done!

After raising four children by herself, their mother just broke down. Her mind just stopped, she ran away from her problems. Then she never came back. Their mother stopped at a shopping center in Connecticut. She left the children in the car alone on a hot summer day. The children were worried and didn’t think she was coming back, but they still awaited her return. A whole day and whole night went by and still nothing. The only thing they could do is stay together. Dicey, the eldest child of the four took charge and began to be the mother of the family. They left the car in parking lot by the shopping center, and set off to meet an aunt whom they’d never met, in Bridgeport. After a while the four realized how far away it really was to aunt Cilla's house. Dicey got a lot of fighting and tantrums from her younger siblings James, 10, Maybeth, 9, and Sammy, 6. They traveled from five to ten miles per day, by walking. They only had seven dollars to begin with, so it was hard to get food and everything else in order to live, without any money. Luckily for them Dicey could to read a map, and was able to find some place safe to sleep at night, most of the time. The first place that they stayed was at a camp ground. Dicey was able to find small jobs to earn little money so they could still eat. The Tillermans never steal, but I think that trait skipped Sammy, who felt he had to steal for his family, in order to be able to eat. When they got to a town with a college there was nowhere to sleep. Dicey, James, Maybeth, and Sammy stayed under a bush in front of the college, until young student at the college sat next to her. She didn't know what to think, and when he asked to help her she was even more confused and unsure of things. She hesitated at first, but then decided her family needed a place to stay. This was the best decision thatDicey could make for her family. They were fed, washed, and slept in warm beds. They were even offered a ride to their great aunt Cilla’s house. They were very grateful, so Stewart, the one who was helping them, gave them a ride to aunt Cilia’s. By that night, they made it to their aunt's house. They waited, and waited until a small woman with big hair walked past them into the house. Confused they waited for her They asked for their aunt Cilla and the woman with big hair had told them Cilla died awhile ago. This woman’s name was Eunice and she was the children’s cousin. The Tillermans stayed with cousin Eunice for awhile. Staying there was a bad idea. James was getting good schooling, but Maybeth and Sammy were having trouble in their schooling, and Dicey wasn't enjoying doing chores for Cousin Eunice everyday. After getting a check for the car they had abandoned in Peewauket, Connecticut, Dicey got a few more jobs washing windows. After getting enough money to travel to Crisfield to see her grandma the four children were alone and traveling again. It seemed like forever to get to get to their grandma's house. Now you finish the story. Those are just bits and pieces of the story It was great!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJo86 July 2, 2013

A wonderful book

Homecoming is one of the best books I've ever read. It tells the story of four siblings who set out on an adventure, where they struggle to find food and shelter, without their parents. On the way, they meet both good and bad friends, yet at the end, they finally find a welcoming home. It is a wonderful and interesting book for children ages 12 and above. It has a positive message and is beneficial for children. I couldn't put the book down in some parts. It was wonderful and amusing and is a great read.
Kid, 12 years old August 12, 2010

This is a great book for all ages. It might be a little hard for a 10 year old to read but a great read aloud book for all ages
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2009

Homecoming

Homecoming is a good book. I recommend it to 11 year olds and up. The book is mainly about four children who are abandoned by their mother and so they have to travel many different places just to find a home.
Adult Written bylashleyfan2992 April 9, 2008

this is one of the best books i've read in quite a while
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

Take a Fantastic Journey with the Tillermans

I discovered this book as a young teen in my local bookstore and read it until the cover fell off. Dicey Tillerman is a relatable, plucky heroine who handles her unexpected promotion to parent with aplomb. Her siblings James, Maybeth, and Sammy all have well-developed personalities and go through realistic reactions to their plight. Kids can glean some educational value from the things the siblings, particularly Dicey and James, must learn to do on their journey. This includes handling money and deciding what foods will sustain them on a small budget. There's also a lot of great discussion fodder in the book regarding what makes a family and a home. Dicey regularly lies in order to keep her siblings from being split up. While that's understandable in context, it warrants discussion of whether she had other choices and if not, why not. Sammy and James both steal, but it is not condoned. The Tillermans' mother abandons them and is assumed to be mentally ill; while not discussed, this could be upsetting for young readers. The children briefly stay with Eunice, a cousin who sees them as a burden and makes no secret of it. She openly favors the girls while belittling the boys. Eunice is a rigid Catholic, and her behavior maligns the Church. Additionally, her priest's attitude toward the Tillermans is negative. The children are regularly called names like "bastards," and one child is referred to as "retarded." The children briefly work for an abusive man with a dangerous dog. Sammy talks about fighting in school in defense of his family. All that being said, this is a great book for the right age group.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystephaniedancer34 September 4, 2012

what youl'l learn from this book.

this is a really great book for kids who are 11and up. In my perspective i learned so much from this book,i learned about human values and what people and kids in this world are going through. for example hunger,homeless,living in the wilderness with no parents,divorces,drugs,and etc. this book is 1 of the books that i loved in my life. even adults would like to read this book, my mom who is 42yrs old loved this book. its a life lesson.
Kid, 9 years old October 22, 2011

no mother

this is what it is for childs with no mothers so DO NOT ABANDON THEM!!!!!!!!!!@&$^&@$%
Kid, 11 years old July 1, 2011

AMAZING BOOK!

I'm reading this book for an essay and it's awsome!
Teen, 13 years old Written byj♥j♥f♥ March 16, 2011

The story seemed to go on and on, though in the end I decided I truly do like it. Though some may say its very boring, even though I had to read it for school, I have gotten "Dicey's Song", the next book in the saga, to read for own pleasure. Its really not bad, especially for something they made us read for school! However, some things that the characters do aren't so believable, and that may be thought to be cheesy. But it is truly inspiring what Dicey and her siblings are able to do. The ending is quite sweet.
Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2011

i love this book
Teen, 14 years old Written bysamfhcds June 4, 2010

WORST BOOK EVER
Adult Written byamalib April 23, 2010

Grades 5 - 7 must-read

Loved it, as it portrays the amazing resilience of children - that they can overcome dreadful circumstances with just a little love and support, sometimes coming from unexpected places. I'd read it aloud to grade 5s - very thought-and-discussion-provoking. Time and place of story may require some explanation.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLIVElaughLOVE92 January 24, 2010

it's really good and makes you think

I read this when i was in 7th grade and i was dealing with a whole lot of stuff. Reading this really helped me put my life into perspective, and i wanted to be more like Dicey because i'm the oldest and i wanted to be as strong as her and be able to take care of my siblings as well as she did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychatty90210 November 11, 2009

perfect for anyone over the age of 10

i read this when i was 12 and i was able to understand everything fine...i probably could' have even if i read it at nine...but seeing as i was 12 i was closer to Dicey's age so i was able to relate to her more there fore helping me understand the text a little bit better.
Teen, 14 years old Written byXoluv649 April 9, 2008

I loved it!

Hi, i read this book with a group of people. We all loved it and i want to read on but since were in a group i cant. Although i didnt finish reading it im about thalf-way through, i still cant wait to find out what happens. i loveeee this book. its awesome! you definitly have to not just read, but buy this book!