All member reviews for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Poetic autobiography reveals impact of racial prejudice.

Educator and Parent Written byCRYING FOR REFORM March 15, 2013

NOT OK for 14-yr-olds!!!

NOT OK FOR 14-YR-OLDS!!! Not for kids unless you don't care about your children having disturbing and haunting images of sex in their minds (vivid description of rape of an 8-yr-old by a middle-aged man) before they have had a chance to develop firmly their thoughts of sex as an act of love between a man and a wife.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNarges November 15, 2012

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I think that it is a very sad but an excellent book written
Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl February 6, 2013

BORING AND SLOW!

i am reading this for school and i am NOT enjoying this one bit. i do like the story and the message but this book is so freaking slow and boring its hard to read it and not fall asleep. I need something to happen other just talking about the store all the time and life. when something else happens i may reconsider liking this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspadeillusion August 31, 2012

For School

I read this story for school and I find some parts real nice and others downright boring, If it wasn't for school I think I would have quit about midway, but later on I seriously started to like parts of this book. I think it is a honest book about true stuff happening, without the sugar-coating and it doesn't sound like those speeches people come to you and say, so it's sorta refreshing. All in all, try reading a chapter and if you don't like it, it's cool.
Parent Written by4concernedparents September 24, 2014

An adult book

The book features details about the rape of an 8 year old girl by her stepfather, tween sex between and 11 year old and a 14 year old, pages of the author questioning her sexuality as a 16 year old, deciding to get herself a man to prove she wasn't a lesbian, and getting pregnant from that one afternoon union. The tone is somewhat detached. The book also features descriptions of budding female genitalia. Although a biography which might lend insight into racial discrimination, other books convey the same message without the disturbing sexual situations.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySuperstrahan17 December 17, 2012

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Review

This book stars a poetic woman who from earlier in her life goes through various hardships, but manages to come through a triumphant woman we know and love today. I believe this book not only shows and tells valid points that we can learn from but it can inspire many people who may go through the same problems.