All member reviews for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Poetic autobiography reveals impact of racial prejudice.

Educator and Parent Written byCRYING FOR REFORM March 15, 2013

NOT OK for 14-yr-olds!!!

NOT OK FOR 14-YR-OLDS!!! Not for kids unless you don't care about your children having disturbing and haunting images of sex in their minds (vivid description of rape of an 8-yr-old by a middle-aged man) before they have had a chance to develop firmly their thoughts of sex as an act of love between a man and a wife.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNarges November 15, 2012

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

I think that it is a very sad but an excellent book written
Teen, 15 years old Written bycinnagurl February 6, 2013

BORING AND SLOW!

i am reading this for school and i am NOT enjoying this one bit. i do like the story and the message but this book is so freaking slow and boring its hard to read it and not fall asleep. I need something to happen other just talking about the store all the time and life. when something else happens i may reconsider liking this.
Parent Written by4concernedparents September 24, 2014

An adult book

The book features details about the rape of an 8 year old girl by her stepfather, tween sex between and 11 year old and a 14 year old, pages of the author questioning her sexuality as a 16 year old, deciding to get herself a man to prove she wasn't a lesbian, and getting pregnant from that one afternoon union. The tone is somewhat detached. The book also features descriptions of budding female genitalia. Although a biography which might lend insight into racial discrimination, other books convey the same message without the disturbing sexual situations.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspadeillusion August 31, 2012

For School

I read this story for school and I find some parts real nice and others downright boring, If it wasn't for school I think I would have quit about midway, but later on I seriously started to like parts of this book. I think it is a honest book about true stuff happening, without the sugar-coating and it doesn't sound like those speeches people come to you and say, so it's sorta refreshing. All in all, try reading a chapter and if you don't like it, it's cool.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySuperstrahan17 December 17, 2012

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Review

This book stars a poetic woman who from earlier in her life goes through various hardships, but manages to come through a triumphant woman we know and love today. I believe this book not only shows and tells valid points that we can learn from but it can inspire many people who may go through the same problems.
Educator Written byRMS CLS February 1, 2016