All parent member reviews for Impulse

Adult Written byconcernedbrother April 9, 2010

Stay Away

This book almost made my sister kill herself. Seriously.
Parent Written byangii January 9, 2012

my opinon

Parent Written byjessieforsythe March 4, 2012

Powerful Novel Great For Teens

This book is beautifully written and touches important issues that need to be addressed with teens, especially in light of recent teen suicides across North America. The book does have questionable language, some sexual content, and drug use. Some teens may not be able to handle it, so read it before they do if you think it could be an issue. I strongly suggest this read.
Adult Written byBrezzy Renee January 11, 2011

Perfect for teens ages 14 and older

I love this book. and I would tell anybody to read this book. Childern in the eight grade and up should be able to read this book.
Adult Written bysjoines December 14, 2011

AMAZING BOOK!

I loved the book. I think the only way to prevent your kids from doing the things Ellen Hopkins talks about in her books is let your kids or even yourself read her books, especially Impulse. I have read many of her other books and Impulse is by far the best.
Adult Written bymagpiesings February 4, 2010

From a Conservative Christian point of view

The idea of using prose to tell a story is nothing new. It is a technique that predates Shakespeare. However, now-a-days, just about anyone can get anything published and it can be called literature. While Shakespeare touched on some very dark and provacative themes, this book is full of main characters who are not role models. It is a graphic and morbidly depressing book. When there is so much out there that is uplifting and mentally challenging, why would readers desire to subject themselves to the continued depressingness of this series of books. This book and its counterparts/prequels and sequels, are not appropriate or recommended reading for any child, teen, or young adult. For those of you with the response "it is real, this is what really happens out there..." your response is rebutted with that just because this stuff really goes on, does not make it appropriate; and, just because this stuff really does go on, does not mean it is real life for everyone, across the board. The absense of God / Spirituality in anyone's life contributes to the darkness that pervades that life. If my children (and myself) cannot comfortably read these passages in front of our parents, teachers, priests/pastors, then it is NOT appropriate nor acceptable.
Adult Written byOctinioxate October 24, 2009

Depends on maturity of the kid, I suppose

Well I'm thirteen and I've read more hardcore stuff then this, but I absolutely loved the book. I read it at age 11 or 12 or so, but I suppose it just depends on the person's maturity level, and what they're exposed to, and what they can be influenced by.
Adult Written byLemonMrang April 9, 2008

My favorite book ever as of February '07!!!

This is my ultimate favorite book ever. It's a real eye-opener on issues like suicide and abuse. Like, when you hear about those types of things, you don't really process it. But, in IMPULSE, you grow so close to each of the three narrating characters, and the issues and trauma they go through seem so real. I finished this giant in two days - even reading late into the night on a school night! I couldn't set it down. And I've been thinking about it eveer since; the ending is SO GOOD. SO SO SO SO good. I was up for half an hour after finishing it, just mulling over the ending. If you're 13-14 or older, I say: READ THIS BOOK!
Adult Written bystarlight2 April 9, 2008

Gripping...

It is hard for me to look at this book as issues kids go through. The characters become part of you and you emotionally feel what they feel throughout the entire book... It is up to parents to consider whether that is a positive or negative advantage of this book. Hopkins has an innovative and refreshing style that keeps the reader hooked. I was suprised at the highs and lows I personally felt while reading the story...it was a simple masterpiece. Kids need to know that the reality these characters faced are real, but also need to realize there is a different dimension between a book character and a young adult living with these same issue- the difference can easily be blurred because the reader does become consumed with the storyline... happened to me.
Adult Written byifonlyheknew18 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byrossMan July 21, 2011

ok

not for children
Parent of a 2, 11, and 12 year old Written byandreabenetrn December 5, 2010

I think that you have to have a child who is emotionally strong enough to handle the subject matter before being exposed to this book. It has real life situations that they could very likely encounter in their lives someday. It is good to be aware and open minded in order to understand your own or other peoples thoughts, actions, and feelings.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymichelle713 June 1, 2010

best book for tweens and teens

i loved this book!! it teaches your kids that it is important to talk about your feelings and that no one will judge them. most importantly that the solution is not to end your life. this is a book that will help your tweens understand that the world isnt all that good although it may seem like it. that they are safer with their parents until they think they can handle it themselves.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymadison Heaberlin December 7, 2009

Ellen is a genius

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins is a very unique book. In most teen books, the author tries to hold back some of the reality. Ellen Hopkins is different. She writes about the true stuff that happens to teens all around the world on a daily basis. She talks about abuse, suicide, mental disorders, love, hate, and so much more. Each character in this books reflects the hardships each teen goes through each and every day, just on a more intense level. This particular book by Ellen Hopkins is about a group of teenagers who are put into rehab because they attempted to end their own lives. One kid shot himself in the heart, and missed. One girl cuts herself. And another boy abuses drugs. He has an obsession with older women and is addicted to sex. Ellen Hopkins goes into great detail with each teens life. A few times you may need to put down the book, just to ease your mind. As Ellen starts getting into detail about the girl who cuts herself, she gets very graphic. Even as a student about to start school to go into nursing, it still made me a little uneasy and queazy. Although it is graphic, i also believe it is necessary in order to take each characters issues seriously. This teenagers battle horrible addictions and are very angry and upset with themselves and everything going on in their lives. Each teenager helps one another to cope with their illnesses little by little until they are completely clean, clear, and happy, or they just hit so far rock bottom no one can help them. I believe Ellen Hopkins purpose for writing this story is to put out the awareness that not everyone is happy with their lives. Not everyone has a fantastic family. Not everyone has a good home, or good income. And not everyone feels like they can live in a world with so much sin. This is the story of a group of teenagers battling to get through rehab, and ultimately, life.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byelizaosborn June 24, 2009

Excellent for discussions and promoting honesty

I really loved this book. It was gritty, edgy, compassionate, and had a tender heart for all of the issues it brought up. I don't know that I'd let my daughter read it until she was closer to adulthood, though, because I struggled with so much of it between the ages of 15-20. I'd definitely want to talk about it with her, because there's a lot of truth to be discussed. But I don't want her going any of it alone.
Educator and Parent of an infant, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 year old Written byAnniesBookStop June 3, 2015

A good book - but maybe not for kids.

Ellen Hopkins is a great author, and this may be her best book. Unfortunately, the subject matter is not entirely appropriate for anyone under 15, and is iffy for anyone 15-18. Although it can be comforting for depressed teenagers to read a book that they can relate to, the details in this book can trigger dangerous behavior and make things worse. I would strongly recommend that a parent read this book before their child does.
Adult Written byBrandy4863 May 18, 2010

Great for older kids and young adults.

I absolutely love this book. Yes, it is depressing and it is about three kids attempting suicide. But it is very eye opening. It shows how some parents expect too much from there kids, what abuse (let that be physical, emotional or mental) has on kids and how it can be very hard living with a huge secret and bi polar disorder. If you are very sensitive about "teen issues" than i do NOT recommend this book. But if you are just fascinated by how different people deal with there own issues than this is the book for you.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylaceykayy April 30, 2010

Wonderful read! ((NOTE: I dont reccoment this for younger teens)

Im 17 and started reading crank at 15 and i was amazed. Ellen hopkins writing blows me aways, her writing is brilliant and exciting! I think kids, girls especially, (atleast 15 or older) should deffinately ready this book. Even her other books, they really open eyes to a different side of the world. I can personally relate at atleast one if not more characters in the 4 books that i have read. Its a good read for your teens.
Adult Written bywellaniser May 11, 2009

amazing

i read all the books from ellen hopkins of this series. crank burned glass identical and impulse and it is by far the most amazing!!!! i have recomended it to all my friends and they all loved it!!!!
Adult Written byCoffeeTable March 9, 2009

Amazing

I really loved this book. Having been a fan of Ellen Hopkins for some time, this book did not disappoint. The free verse has always been very easy to read for those who need small chapters and places to stop. Nothing has been described in complete detail except for the facts which helps in not making some people feel uncomfortable. The thing I always have to remind people when they see it, is to not freak out over the size of the book. The pages have such small writing on them that you fly past the pages. This also makes readers feel good because it seems like they have accomplished something.