All member reviews for Impulse

Teen, 17 years old Written bysoccersam September 19, 2011

A Rebutal to "From a Conservative Christian Point of View"

First I have to say that I have been to many different churchs through out my life, and that I am a spirtiual person. However magpiesings is way off base, the reason why the novel is good is because it is an extremly personal reading experiance. I got so much out of this novel and it went much deeper than the initial "Well three teens tried to off themselves..." I honestly believe that magpiesings can not comprehend the world of Impulse. I have lived many parts of it. I can relate to Connor when it come to dealing with his mother, my own is much the same, and I understand where Vanessa is coming from because many in my family deal with mental disorders that can be passed down, I am scared to death that I will inherate one. The fact is that just because the truth is ugly does not mean that it should be covered up or hidden from sight as magpiesings suggests. If you want to fight sucide, and the lack of God/ Spirituality in peoples lives then you need to stop acting like these things do not exist or that they should be kept hush - hush. Teens should read this because there are some valuable lessons that can be learned. Love can pull us through as learned from Tony and Vanessa. There is strength in admiting we are weak can be pulled from the healing of Vanessa and her fathers relationship. Despite all the drugs used I think that Vanessa's act of quiting the prosac on her own was also a positive message. She was able to stop using an addictive drug with out relapse and had support from others when she did it. Impulse is apporpiate because it is a way for us to fight the things we learn from reading it and a way for an individual to grow. It is acceptable because hiding reality is not. I found that the end was equal parts depressing and uplifting and might be the most valueable lesson because that is exactly what real life is like. I believe that this novel can be used as a postive educational tool in a high school setting and that if you look you can find positive messages. Be aware of your teens maturity level because there is violence, mentioning of sex and sexual relations, harsh language and medicinal drugs used in both positive and negitive ways. I first read this book when I was about 14, but I was mature for my age and had higher than average comprehension levels.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytheONE May 18, 2011

Perfect for mature people.

This book is great for mature 13 year olds and up. It is well written, educates about substance abuse, suffering, abuse, suicide, and many other things kids should know about. Kids knowing about these kinds of things will help prevent, get help with, and stop them. There is no negative messages, only positive. The book isn't telling kids to commit suicide or do drugs, it's about getting help and figuring things out. Great book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMorgann October 7, 2011

Moving Stroy

I like it becasue it goes in depth of the three teenagers who have all suffered something tramutic. It does have some graphic text, sex, drugs, even abortion. Me personally, I can relate to Impulse. Not the drugs or rape or even being gay. I was depresse, and tried to commit sucide. But I got help. And I life a better life, now. PS: I have read all of Ellen Hopkin's books. Currently re-reading Tricks!
Teen, 17 years old Written byLiL_bAbY_GiRl July 21, 2011

teens should be able to speek there mind and Ellen Hopkins is right on

the reasons for why i chose what i chose was because teens these days will really do anything for attention and theyll find away to get it it doesnt matter where your from or if you think im wrong kids are really going to do what they think is best for them not what there parents tell them what they should do that will just make them rebel agenst you...dont get me wrong yeah kids need guidents but to sit there day after day shoving rules down there throughts and telling them who they can and can not hang out with it will just piss them off....i think Ellen Hopikins is head on with teens these days she doesnt beat around the bush no she gets write to the point and for that it may help alot of teens who are struggling in life and need to find away out this book maybe able to help so they can see what theyre getting themselfs into parents should not take these books away from there teens because with alot of books she writes will scare them away from drugs away from teen pregnacy and stuff like that it will truely help it helped one of my friends
Teen, 13 years old Written byDessy1021 May 10, 2010

Depends on the child but I'd say for ages 13 and up

This is the BEST book I've ever read.I'll admit it does have some parts that aren't age appropriate for younger kids.I read this book last year.I'm 13 years old.im also dealing with depression myself and I think this book helped me understand myself more and helped me understand that I'm not alone and there are people dealing with problems just like me.parents,I think if your child can handle a book like this then definitly let them read it.don't not let them read it just because of the (drugs,suicide attempts, etc.) because this book is a beautiful story as well as every other Ellen Hopkins book. I'm glad there are books like this out there because teens can understand what goes on in the minds of troubled teens that are dealing with problems.I think almost every teen can relate to atleast one of the characters and something that has happend to them. I'd say that this book is for ages(13 and up) because these characters are real and the things that happen to them are happening to every day people.let they're story be told (:
Teen, 15 years old Written bysweet16! October 9, 2011

Good Teaching!

I'm 15 about to turn 16 and i loved it! for sure let your teens read it because it can really help tell them some things! before i read this i thought my life was bad because my parents wouldn't let me go to parties! well there are worse and I'm glad for reading all of Ellen Hopkins books. they practically warn you of what could happen and that good. i couldn't even believe that would have wanted to at least TRY drugs after i read Crank and Glass so for all of the 15+ people out there its good to read these to tell you want you could get yourself into!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycantheman August 16, 2011

A Great Book For Mature Readers

This book does have its harsh points but that is why it is for mature readers throughout the entire book they move forward with what is happening but people fall and make mistakes so it shows that and it does a good job of it. I think that it is very good book for mature readers they will get the good part of the story and they will see the entire point of the book the point is to move on. When something bad happens tuff pick up and move on!
Teen, 16 years old Written by*alyssa_paige* June 12, 2011

Great book for teens

I personally loved this book. I look down on the people who say it was bad. I have been through depression times my life many times and I have tried to commit suicide a few times and I still read this book and after reading this, it made me want to go get help. It made me see how much stronger these kids got and how they grew as people and individuals. They worked together to help each other get through their struggles. EVERYONE has problems and flaws in their life. Why not express them. If you have any thoughts about suicide or anything, take it from me and read this book. You will see that they got stronger and if they can do it than so can you. I do admit that this would not be for kids any younger than 14 or 15. It has a lot on content that younger kids just wouldn't understand just yet in life. It's an amazing book and you should read it and give it a chance, I'm sure you will really get into it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynjsipple2 March 22, 2011

i think tht this book is not a good book for people who have a weak heart or just don't liike 2 her bout other peoples problems.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBored2tears March 9, 2011

GO ELLEN HOPKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I'm 15 and this is just normal everyday stuff we talk about and do. Except the teacher part because that just dosent sound anywere near cool, but I love this book alot it was way to awesome for my own good. In fact I went to the Branes and Noble and bought my own copy just so I could reread it over and over agian. Ellen Hopkins is the litterary genius of the new century. Mainly because all her books are current and helpful to teens who are going threw these hurtful and depracateing things; soicity usally just look the other way on GO ELLEN HOPKINS!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeon Ashes December 11, 2010

Amazing book, great message

I read this book over the summer, and absolutely loved it. Her style of writing is really interesting and intriguing. The acual plot is something that in our culture, is usually kinda of hushed, I guess would be the word, but that mood about suicide, self-injury, and stuff like that is changing, I like how they rely on each other while in the ward, even though the ending was horribly sad. I can relate to Vanessa the best, since we both self harm. I loved the descriptions from each of their POVs of each other, and her descriptive language. It's a really good book in the way that it's saying that there is a second chance, and that there is help for those people that need it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDream22 October 19, 2009

I think this is a very good book. It is very educational and I think some one can learn alot form this book.
Teen, 17 years old Written byX.LoveHate October 3, 2009

Great for teenagers 16 and up!

I love this book. For teens who may be pondering in psychology this is an inside look to what you will have to deal with. This also shows effects of how people deal with things, and how some people are unfourtunantly not strong enough to cope alone.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykiahickey October 1, 2011

Impluse review

I think this book has many things that you wouldn't want your kids to read. But, it also has many things that could help your child. Your child could relate to many things that happen in this book. If you kid is mature enough to read it I think it is a great book to read. It explains the ups and downs that life gives us. From, sex to drugs to not being accepted as the person you are. This book explains how most kids take the anger out and also show how most teens express not having outlets to the things they have been through. Some children may not be able to handle the content that is in this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjaclax182 September 4, 2011

amazing

this is an amazing book. both me and my girlfriend relate to this story so much. as for the conservative christian, you dont understand it. in your perfect life this seems inappropriate and depressing and just terrible. from the point of view of a teen who has had experiences and troubles like shown in the book it is very stimulating and i could not put the book down for a second. yes it is mature but its just an amazing book and its helped me get through some of my struggles. so yeah conservative christian dont write about something as it relates to your faith because news flash god is a made up thing. a very immature and primitive one might i add. thankskaybai
Teen, 13 years old Written byjordinrox11 June 4, 2011

Impulse review.

I think Impulse by: Ellen Hopkins is a educational,different and powerful book. It gives people a whole new meaning and perspective. Throughout the book there may be some extreme incidents that come off as harsh,but in the end they portray a strong message. It is about three kids who struggle in life.And all end up in the same institution. The three kids all suffer depression but in different ways that involves their families. One, has a problem with drugs,other sexual needs,and last one, cutting. Though, that could be inappropriate for younger kids, the age 13 and up should be mature enough to understand the book and put the lessons in the book to good use. This book is amazing. Ellen Hopkins makes the book a wonderful experience into a whole new world for young adult readers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyB123 July 29, 2010

This is a book from one of my favorite authors, but I do understand that it has a lot of heavy subject matter that is definitely not for younger kids. However, teens need to understand problems that are or aren't their own so they know what happens when you do face or someone else they know faces those kinds of problems.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

A book that tells a story on poems.

This whole story is about tree teens who screw up their chance at life, getting a 2nd chance to show the world who they are. The ending is heart- breaking, the book is heavy on the drug, language includes uses of f*** in proper term and not. One girl likes to cut herself, another has sex with a teacher, the same kid tries suicide, another is a drug addict. This book is written for an older reading level but I'm happy I read it. Its not a book to read for pleasure. The poems will suck you in until you fall asleep at 3 in the morning, the book falling to the ground with a thud, because, again its a 600+ page book, but don't let its side drag you down or discourage you. Read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byclass of 2012 May 29, 2010

perfect for most teens but not for "tweens"

i think it's a perfect book for kids either in or going in to highschool+ because this is primarily the age where kids are first introduced to sex, abuse, and drugs and many other things that no parent wants their child to get into. with this book you can really understand the effects of these things and show the truth to people.
Teen, 15 years old Written byray4lyfe March 10, 2010

Interesting and Heartfelt

I am a 15 year old girl and don't usually read, but this book was very detailed and interesther ting. I highly recommend this book to people older than 15. It tells the message of three children who come together to make a difference in eachother's lives, or at least try. Very interesting and heartfelt