All member reviews for Impulse

Gritty book about suicide survivors told in free verse.

Adult Written byLemonMrang April 9, 2008

My favorite book ever as of February '07!!!

This is my ultimate favorite book ever. It's a real eye-opener on issues like suicide and abuse. Like, when you hear about those types of things, you don't really process it. But, in IMPULSE, you grow so close to each of the three narrating characters, and the issues and trauma they go through seem so real. I finished this giant in two days - even reading late into the night on a school night! I couldn't set it down. And I've been thinking about it eveer since; the ending is SO GOOD. SO SO SO SO good. I was up for half an hour after finishing it, just mulling over the ending. If you're 13-14 or older, I say: READ THIS BOOK!
Adult Written bystarlight2 April 9, 2008

Gripping...

It is hard for me to look at this book as issues kids go through. The characters become part of you and you emotionally feel what they feel throughout the entire book... It is up to parents to consider whether that is a positive or negative advantage of this book. Hopkins has an innovative and refreshing style that keeps the reader hooked. I was suprised at the highs and lows I personally felt while reading the story...it was a simple masterpiece. Kids need to know that the reality these characters faced are real, but also need to realize there is a different dimension between a book character and a young adult living with these same issue- the difference can easily be blurred because the reader does become consumed with the storyline... happened to me.
Adult Written byifonlyheknew18 April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bykiahickey October 1, 2011

Impluse review

I think this book has many things that you wouldn't want your kids to read. But, it also has many things that could help your child. Your child could relate to many things that happen in this book. If you kid is mature enough to read it I think it is a great book to read. It explains the ups and downs that life gives us. From, sex to drugs to not being accepted as the person you are. This book explains how most kids take the anger out and also show how most teens express not having outlets to the things they have been through. Some children may not be able to handle the content that is in this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjaclax182 September 4, 2011

amazing

this is an amazing book. both me and my girlfriend relate to this story so much. as for the conservative christian, you dont understand it. in your perfect life this seems inappropriate and depressing and just terrible. from the point of view of a teen who has had experiences and troubles like shown in the book it is very stimulating and i could not put the book down for a second. yes it is mature but its just an amazing book and its helped me get through some of my struggles. so yeah conservative christian dont write about something as it relates to your faith because news flash god is a made up thing. a very immature and primitive one might i add. thankskaybai
Parent Written byrossMan July 21, 2011

ok

not for children
Teen, 13 years old Written byjordinrox11 June 4, 2011

Impulse review.

I think Impulse by: Ellen Hopkins is a educational,different and powerful book. It gives people a whole new meaning and perspective. Throughout the book there may be some extreme incidents that come off as harsh,but in the end they portray a strong message. It is about three kids who struggle in life.And all end up in the same institution. The three kids all suffer depression but in different ways that involves their families. One, has a problem with drugs,other sexual needs,and last one, cutting. Though, that could be inappropriate for younger kids, the age 13 and up should be mature enough to understand the book and put the lessons in the book to good use. This book is amazing. Ellen Hopkins makes the book a wonderful experience into a whole new world for young adult readers.
Parent of a 2, 11, and 12 year old Written byandreabenetrn December 5, 2010

I think that you have to have a child who is emotionally strong enough to handle the subject matter before being exposed to this book. It has real life situations that they could very likely encounter in their lives someday. It is good to be aware and open minded in order to understand your own or other peoples thoughts, actions, and feelings.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyB123 July 29, 2010

This is a book from one of my favorite authors, but I do understand that it has a lot of heavy subject matter that is definitely not for younger kids. However, teens need to understand problems that are or aren't their own so they know what happens when you do face or someone else they know faces those kinds of problems.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

A book that tells a story on poems.

This whole story is about tree teens who screw up their chance at life, getting a 2nd chance to show the world who they are. The ending is heart- breaking, the book is heavy on the drug, language includes uses of f*** in proper term and not. One girl likes to cut herself, another has sex with a teacher, the same kid tries suicide, another is a drug addict. This book is written for an older reading level but I'm happy I read it. Its not a book to read for pleasure. The poems will suck you in until you fall asleep at 3 in the morning, the book falling to the ground with a thud, because, again its a 600+ page book, but don't let its side drag you down or discourage you. Read it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymichelle713 June 1, 2010

best book for tweens and teens

i loved this book!! it teaches your kids that it is important to talk about your feelings and that no one will judge them. most importantly that the solution is not to end your life. this is a book that will help your tweens understand that the world isnt all that good although it may seem like it. that they are safer with their parents until they think they can handle it themselves.
Teen, 15 years old Written byclass of 2012 May 29, 2010

perfect for most teens but not for "tweens"

i think it's a perfect book for kids either in or going in to highschool+ because this is primarily the age where kids are first introduced to sex, abuse, and drugs and many other things that no parent wants their child to get into. with this book you can really understand the effects of these things and show the truth to people.
Teen, 15 years old Written byray4lyfe March 10, 2010

Interesting and Heartfelt

I am a 15 year old girl and don't usually read, but this book was very detailed and interesther ting. I highly recommend this book to people older than 15. It tells the message of three children who come together to make a difference in eachother's lives, or at least try. Very interesting and heartfelt
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymadison Heaberlin December 7, 2009

Ellen is a genius

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins is a very unique book. In most teen books, the author tries to hold back some of the reality. Ellen Hopkins is different. She writes about the true stuff that happens to teens all around the world on a daily basis. She talks about abuse, suicide, mental disorders, love, hate, and so much more. Each character in this books reflects the hardships each teen goes through each and every day, just on a more intense level. This particular book by Ellen Hopkins is about a group of teenagers who are put into rehab because they attempted to end their own lives. One kid shot himself in the heart, and missed. One girl cuts herself. And another boy abuses drugs. He has an obsession with older women and is addicted to sex. Ellen Hopkins goes into great detail with each teens life. A few times you may need to put down the book, just to ease your mind. As Ellen starts getting into detail about the girl who cuts herself, she gets very graphic. Even as a student about to start school to go into nursing, it still made me a little uneasy and queazy. Although it is graphic, i also believe it is necessary in order to take each characters issues seriously. This teenagers battle horrible addictions and are very angry and upset with themselves and everything going on in their lives. Each teenager helps one another to cope with their illnesses little by little until they are completely clean, clear, and happy, or they just hit so far rock bottom no one can help them. I believe Ellen Hopkins purpose for writing this story is to put out the awareness that not everyone is happy with their lives. Not everyone has a fantastic family. Not everyone has a good home, or good income. And not everyone feels like they can live in a world with so much sin. This is the story of a group of teenagers battling to get through rehab, and ultimately, life.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDiva14 December 7, 2009

i think its a good book, it may have lots of strongly worded phrases but it does give a good idea of what some people have to go through. Like you actually never know the hurt and pain some people have in their life. Therefore, you should not judge. Impulse, is actually a book I can get into. It also help you to not let things get out of hand. It's just a good book overall.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byelizaosborn June 24, 2009

Excellent for discussions and promoting honesty

I really loved this book. It was gritty, edgy, compassionate, and had a tender heart for all of the issues it brought up. I don't know that I'd let my daughter read it until she was closer to adulthood, though, because I struggled with so much of it between the ages of 15-20. I'd definitely want to talk about it with her, because there's a lot of truth to be discussed. But I don't want her going any of it alone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byshaynamariecoronado April 15, 2009

Breathtaking!

Impulse is an amazing book, so many people can relate to what is written in the book and talked about. Weather you have went through anything like any of the characters did, or you knew/no somebody that has went through or is going through something similar. I myself have been through a lot in life and experienced things' related to this book, I enjoyed reading it. So many people are scared to speak up and ask for help and wait until it's too late and the cut was a little too deep, or the trigger is pulled, OD has began. You need to speak up, weather it is to a parent, close friend if you or anybody you know is going through anything dealing with abuse, weather its sexual, physical, emotional abuse is abuse. There is no justification, there is no right when it comes to abuse. If you are in danger and need help go to an ADULT! Because teens may seem like they know it all, and I myself used to think I did know it all but we don't. You need to confide in an adult, one you can trust and rely on to help you with whatever it is your going through. I think that this book is an eye-opener to the ones who believe that the world we live in is perfect. The life we are all living in, is anything but perfect, and to the ones who need help ASK!!! Before it's too late!!!
Educator and Parent of an infant, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 year old Written byAnniesBookStop June 3, 2015

A good book - but maybe not for kids.

Ellen Hopkins is a great author, and this may be her best book. Unfortunately, the subject matter is not entirely appropriate for anyone under 15, and is iffy for anyone 15-18. Although it can be comforting for depressed teenagers to read a book that they can relate to, the details in this book can trigger dangerous behavior and make things worse. I would strongly recommend that a parent read this book before their child does.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaeBae2000 June 16, 2014

Heartbreakingly relatable

I love this book. I can identify with all the main characters, particularly Vanessa. I really love how it's told from each character's point of view. The ending absolutely ripped my heart out. I liked that it was written by an adult, but so true to how teens felt. It played on the fact that parents really just don't get it. Even though I've never attempted suicide or been in a mental hospital, I can relate to it so much. The feelings that are depicted, the self harm plot, all of it. It sounds dumb but reading this book makes me feel better when I'm upset. Ellen Hopkins is a truly gifted author.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjennyjadeboskovic May 7, 2013

Great! thank you

Because some kids at the age of 16 think thier no better and after reading a book like this they soon realize that life is what it gives us pain, trouble and all i know my oldest daughter who is now 17 started reading these books by ellen and she used to be so depressed because she was put through alot. and after she read ellens hopkins books shes realized that she wasnt probley the only person in the world with a life like hers where everything is hard to deal with instead she now helps the people that need it the most and it makes her feel happy :)