All member reviews for Impulse

Gritty book about suicide survivors told in free verse.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAllegedFangirl September 28, 2015

Amazing story

Impulse is an amazing book; I have read and re-read it many times. While the subject matter can be triggering to some people, the book is definitely worth reading. The subject and activities talked about in the book may be fire more mature readers, but the overall story creates positive messages about struggling with mental illness, abuse, and other situations.
Educator and Parent of an infant, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18+ year old Written byAnniesBookStop June 3, 2015

A good book - but maybe not for kids.

Ellen Hopkins is a great author, and this may be her best book. Unfortunately, the subject matter is not entirely appropriate for anyone under 15, and is iffy for anyone 15-18. Although it can be comforting for depressed teenagers to read a book that they can relate to, the details in this book can trigger dangerous behavior and make things worse. I would strongly recommend that a parent read this book before their child does.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaeBae2000 June 16, 2014

Heartbreakingly relatable

I love this book. I can identify with all the main characters, particularly Vanessa. I really love how it's told from each character's point of view. The ending absolutely ripped my heart out. I liked that it was written by an adult, but so true to how teens felt. It played on the fact that parents really just don't get it. Even though I've never attempted suicide or been in a mental hospital, I can relate to it so much. The feelings that are depicted, the self harm plot, all of it. It sounds dumb but reading this book makes me feel better when I'm upset. Ellen Hopkins is a truly gifted author.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjennyjadeboskovic May 7, 2013

Great! thank you

Because some kids at the age of 16 think thier no better and after reading a book like this they soon realize that life is what it gives us pain, trouble and all i know my oldest daughter who is now 17 started reading these books by ellen and she used to be so depressed because she was put through alot. and after she read ellens hopkins books shes realized that she wasnt probley the only person in the world with a life like hers where everything is hard to deal with instead she now helps the people that need it the most and it makes her feel happy :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byizabellahope April 11, 2013

A taste of Reality.

It's a book, about actually about the real world, no details left unwritten, it's the truth about society these days, and people should read it to actuall see what half our generation goes through on a daily basis.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybre275 February 24, 2013

i read the book this is what i think of it

I think the book is really good and it touchs on a lot of really important topics that others seem to be to frekin scared to talk about and think its God awful that some one has the balls to talk about it
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrooklynrose October 22, 2012

Positive reviews for a negative book.

This book wasn't as good as her other books, but was just as interesting as the rest. Not only did Ellen Hopkins leave me wanting to read more and more but she left a mystery after every chapter then at the end left me wanting to read another book. I love her style of writing and I am always looking for more books done by her to read!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover9 March 18, 2012

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fast read great for older kids. it was a little much but otherwise great.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylulukyky January 26, 2012

the kids point of view

I read this book when i was 14 and i was appalled at first. but i read it again this year and i am now 16. only a two year difference but i understand so much more in the book now. i understand how people can think in ways like that. im still in high school, and im surrounded by a lot of things which are in this book. ive had friends that cut, tried to kill them, question their sexual preferences, been raped, you name it. i think that it is important to read this book because it is the raw truth and usually parents try to shelter their kids from that. but its important to know whats out there and be aware to stay away or how to handle it if it enters your life. with ellen hopkin's writing, it actually feels like youre the character somehow. its incredible. whats so great about it is that that way you can experience it in a safe way. so you can get the feelings but with out it actually happening. it really educates you on the different types of disorders and mental issues that are out there. its extremely important to know about these because theyre everywhere and just because you dont know about them doesnt mean they wont show up. i have a brother with bi polar disorder, and reading the book i was actually glad that it showed up, showing that its out there. its hard to think that this book may actually have a POSITIVE message. but it actually does. it opens up the world of troubled teens. if your kid is going to high school or in high school theyll be facing this some way or another. but its about not rejecting the people that are going through these troubles and to help them in any way you can. not to encourage it but support them in the right direction. true, yes there is much talked about sex. but that is another thing high schoo-lers are faced with. not necessarily that you high school-er themself are going around having sex but maybe their friends are or others that they know. but its a very common thing and should be learned how to deal with it. language is definitely used very frequently throughout this book. again, going through high school this will be a common thing. it will be just about the same as any day at school. im not encouraging it, but im saying at this age we kind of have to be used to hearing around us. i just tend to block it out now. but because ellen hopkin uses it, it does make it more realistic all in all its still the parents decision i suppose whether or not their kid can read this. another factor is how mature does your child act? would they be able to handle the things in this book. ive been told ever since i was 13 that i am extremely mature, so i could handle this at an earlier age so it all just depends thanks!
Teen, 14 years old Written bythe deep stuff January 8, 2012

I'm 13+ and i absolutely loved this book!! However, things do get violent and inapropriate for young or sheltered kids. I do not reccomend the sequal "Perfect" because it gets very, very sexual.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhannah333 December 8, 2011

give it a try!

;it may seem to have a "dark" message, but if you read through her books, they say what teenagers are too afraid to admit..I have personally met Ellen Hopkins, and i can put my hand down when i say, her books are absolutely the best! I hope to encourage everyone out there to read them..this book has gotten me through alot, and i hope they can open your eyes too..much love ;H
Teen, 15 years old Written byemochick1997 April 18, 2011

it is great for 12 and older

i think this book that your kids can really learn from it and not do drugs or cut them self's so they would now if they ever did that you guys as parent can tell them that if they do it again that they will be going to psychiatric facility and they might not like that
Teen, 15 years old Written bySeiraRawr April 12, 2011
it was effin awesome
Teen, 15 years old Written byashleykmd January 31, 2011

Not something smaller kids should read

I loved this book and it's one of the best books that I've ever read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhollylujah December 27, 2010

Its good.

This book is very good, and I didn't think it was too disturbing. I will say that with the verse writing the actual reading is a bit difficult. And the themes in the novel are intense. But it is a captivating storyline, written in amazing language that flows magically.
Teen, 16 years old Written byheatherbeather December 6, 2010

Do not read if around any suicidal thoughts or people.

I was given this book after my best friend committed suicide. The person that gave it to me suggested that reading it would relate me to the kids and help me deal with my loss. Up until the ending, it did just that. I can honestly say I wish that the last chapter never existed. This book might have helped my friend kill herself
Teen, 14 years old Written byhmmmmm96 November 30, 2010
I think that "Impulse" was a very good book. i can't wait to read other books by Ellen. there are some bad things not like that is the worst but the girl describes cutting herself very detailed. I do think it was sad and i wish there was more to it but it ended. this is coming from someone that hates to read but i liked this book so much. I would definatly say i loved it!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byxVanillaxTwilightx November 15, 2010

Great book for teens!

I love this book, it was an amazing read. I strongly suggest teenagers read this. Whenever I am asked my favorite book I say "Impulse". It helps you understand how things work and that suicide will never be the answer to problems.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoveleater November 6, 2010

Dark, but amazing!

There is really only one good word for this novel; DARK! Truly the ending will get you up on your feet to give the book praise. This book is real, everything but boring, and most likely my favorite book yet! (And that's high praise!) The ending is sad, but wasn't enough to make me cry. There is suicide, drinking, sex, swearing, cutting, and more. The f*** word is used a lot, and sometimes in the right way. The other swears aren't used often, but you can't ignore it, because it is there, and your kid probably has heard most of the words used in this book. The characters are realistic, and the book itself is told in poems. It is a story, but isn't written in pharagraph form, which makes the read less tedious. It isn't written beautifully, but Ellen Hopkins (the author) does have talent. Enjoy!
Teen, 17 years old Written byluv_2_read6 August 20, 2010

Teen's perspective on Impulse

I'm a teen, and no-my mother did not read this book first. Personally, I think it was one of Hopkins' worst simply because everything was so overlydramatic. It was much like reading a soap opera. There were various sexual instances-especially those between the protagonists-that were totally unnecessary, but the other instances, violence, abuse, etc. made the book. Illegal drug use was maybe mentioned once, and nothing negative was promoted. It wasn't an inappropriate book, just not a very well-written one. Read her others first.