All member reviews for Impulse

Gritty book about suicide survivors told in free verse.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJacquieJonas May 12, 2010

I did like reading impulse, It was a really good book but I do not think parents want their children reading this type of material.
Teen, 16 years old Written byroc2theEDGE April 30, 2010

good read

Very good book, Strong subject matter but still a very good read
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylaceykayy April 30, 2010

Wonderful read! ((NOTE: I dont reccoment this for younger teens)

Im 17 and started reading crank at 15 and i was amazed. Ellen hopkins writing blows me aways, her writing is brilliant and exciting! I think kids, girls especially, (atleast 15 or older) should deffinately ready this book. Even her other books, they really open eyes to a different side of the world. I can personally relate at atleast one if not more characters in the 4 books that i have read. Its a good read for your teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTreeHugger1237 April 28, 2010

Deeps Novel for Later Teens

I liked the book. However, I did find that the ending wasnt a happy one. Basicly like if life gives you lemons, jump off a cliff.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypinky748 March 14, 2010

Great book for teens older than 13 and for parents!

I think this book is great for teenagers to read. It might have a few indescent language and other behaviors that might not be suitable for children under the age of 14, but it teaches parents that they really do have a big impact on their child's life. I think parent should read this book and think about the future outcomes of their children.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysixersfan February 15, 2010

Strong message

Somewhat graphic, but really brings out intense emotions
Teen, 14 years old Written byloverrr February 4, 2010

Love it

Great book. One of my least favorites from Ellen Hopkins books but still great!!!!!!!! It shows how abuse can effect teens and even drive them to suicide. This books has 3 people in it : Tony, Connor, and Vanessa, they all grew up with abuse and all tried to commit suicide. And when you finish reading it a little part of the book stays with you.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymonstermegg February 4, 2010

Great book for older teens, that are having a rough time.

What way would you like to go? Cutting, shooting, or swallowing the bottle?Impulse is a book, that has a very good message to teenagers.In the book, Impulse by Ellen Hopkins there are three teenagers. Connor, Vanessa, and Tony All three of the teenagers tried to commit suicide because they couldn't take there rough lives anymore. All three of the teens have been through mental, physical or even sexual abuse. As a result it didn't work. As the teens end up in a hospital, they try to put all there dark past behind them. In the end of the story only two of the three teens make it out alive.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlice_cullen427 January 17, 2010

teens

i think that it was a really really good book and i am 13 i think that you have to be mature to read this because it does have some sexual and drug content in it but i do recommend this to people or teen who are mature and can handle it
Teen, 13 years old Written bywoahhalexis January 7, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written byMuffins December 12, 2009

Teenager Book

All main characters tried to commit suicide. the girl cuts herself in the book and before. the first boy tried to shoot himself, he later accomplishes suicide by jumping from a dangerous height. the other boy tried to OD(over-dose). the other boy and the girl wind up having feelings for each other. the first boy was emotionally abused and talks about having sex with his english teacher. the other boy was sexually abused as a child by his mom's boyfriend and thinks of himself as gay until he has feelings for the main girl. the girl is mentally-ill and manic, as i said before she cuts herself, her mom is in the hospital after trying to OD. this book is about teenagers trying to deal with life as it is even after having a bad past. one of three is not successful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCourtney. December 8, 2009

wonderful book for older kids.

This book was fantastic, it told a story of three teens in an actual reality many kids face. I would recommend this book largely. It sends a great message, even if it's not happy. What in reality truly is?
Teen, 14 years old Written bytofukungfu December 7, 2009

My opinion.

Not my favorite by this author. Probably the worst out of all of them, I think.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypunk93 November 30, 2009

If your children ask questions let them read for thier selfs

I am 16 years old I love it, its the best book i think all teens need to read it..so they know what goes on and noy to let things get out of hand..
Written byAnonymous October 16, 2009

For The Mature Teen

Personally, this was not my favourite book by Ellen Hopkins. This is because the way she does the layout of the text, they are secret messages that intrigue the reader, but there were few in this particular book. On the other hand, I find her books to be very intelligetly written, in the fact that she knows how to go into detail with certain things (feelings,etc) and is very careful to be brief about others and still kind of give the reader what they want (i.e. sexual encounters).
Teen, 14 years old Written byuprising October 2, 2009

Great book

LOVE IT! This book isn't as bad as it seems, the suicide isn't a big deal in the book. It's about getting better and making friends and learning to be yourself.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbabb September 22, 2009

This book was overall good. I liked how the authour used peotry in this book. But there were a few T.M.I. moments in this book, with the teens talk about personal issues and troubles.
Teen, 16 years old Written byair-ik-uhhh.lov... September 21, 2009

this boook is amazing it can relate to most you kids
Teen, 15 years old Written bylittlemissomfgee September 13, 2009

perfect book for teens who are trying to relate to hard situations.

i like this book a lot. it shows what people are going through and what it is like for teens who are troubled. This book gives a very realistic view of teens going through hard times and it feels like you are there.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlazing Innocence September 1, 2009

Perfect for any teenager, 12+

loved this book, the way it was written, the characters,and the way emotions were displayed.