Lengthy but rich fantasy great for book-loving tweens.

Teen, 15 years old Written bypurplecatroo April 9, 2008

I hated it.

Great Author terribly boring book. It was waay to violent and evil. Spooky as well for anyone under 11. A big big big disapointment.
Kid, 9 years old March 30, 2009

BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN

The begining of the book is murky and doesn't really make sense but keep reading! It is an amazing book about mo a.k.a. silver tounge and he transports a boy named Farrid to their world ( IN THE BOOK !!!) I have read all 3 books and they leave me breathtaken! I just keep wanting more and more of that kind of writting. The downs about it are that there is alot of cursing, killing ( knives, rifles, and so on..... ) I still highly recomend it!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

great book but...

first of all i'll say that i loved the book!! a really great story and everything and im glad i bought it! but one thing that i didnt like was all the swearing. in my family we never swear so whenever i came across a sw it would always kinda jolt me out of the story and it got anoying...swearwords take the innocence out of reading...other than that the story was great! i liked the book a lot, but i liked the sequel way better as it was more exciting and way less swear words! u mite wanna go thru the book b4 u read it to ur kid. all in all a great story tho!
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

enthralling.

This is a very good book, though I wouldn't exactly call it a "children's book". I'd be more entitled to call it a "preteen book." The villains are actually evil, which isn't very common in "children's books" but the book is easy to read and would be suitable for anyone 10 and up. There are uses of damn and hell, and also bloody. There is much violence inplied: ("I'll cut out your tongue!" says Basta frequently) but little of it actually happens. As is said above, the main character is in a lot of danger most of the time, as are her acquaintances. The main character is a great role-model because she is very brave, and I believe this book teaches a whole lot more respect for books, and it may inspire kids to read more, especially the books mentioned in the story. There is a tremendous amount of imagery, but I enjoyed it a whole lot, the slow pace doesn't make the book difficult to pay attention to at all... on the contrary. Ten and up should definitely give this book a try, along with Funke's other great book, 'the Thief Lord.' The kids that I have known to read this book has also developed a larger lust of reading than most kids, because it describes books so well. There is also a good relationship between the main character and her father. It's pretty hard to be dissapointed in this book. One of the reviews on the book cover say that it's a good Harry Potter alternative. I don't agree that it's an alternative, but I do agree that you should read them both, because they are both most definitely worth reading.
Kid, 11 years old December 2, 2010

Really awesome book!

Really loved this book from the moment I picked it up. Very exciting and suspenseful. Only a few cuss words. I hope everyone loves it as much as I do!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl May 21, 2012

Well written faerie tale for older children

This is a fantastic story based on a brain-bending concept. All of the characters are complex and the plot is fascinating. It would scare younger children who don't understand the difference between fantasy and reality, but it's a brilliant tale for older children. The writing is also fantastic! (at last!) Books with stylized writing, interesting dialogue, deep characters and complex plot are becoming harder to find, especially for kids. If you have a son or daughter who enjoys percy jackson or artemis fowl, have them read this instead. The writing is head and shoulders above. I love the book and would give it five stars, but the sequel was much less loved (by me) and I found that to be a bit dissapointing. Also, the movie is fantastic.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarasnake99 January 3, 2011

Great book!

I personally LOVED this book. It is a great book for fantasy lovers.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byMovieMama April 9, 2008

Vocabulary good...mostly

I have read reviews of this book complaining of its verbosity, but it isn't a bad thing —in a fast world— for kids to have to wait for the story to unfold. The richness of the imagery and language is also a positive. Until we got to the part where she felt compelled to include "swear" words; it's almost gratuitous. I don't believe that they are necessary and is in fact a bad idea in a book aimed at preteens. I prefer my children to develop their vocabularies in other ways before learning to add the, shall we say, more colorful choices.
Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

good

This is a good book. But it is a lot more detailed then the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDemon_Reader1115 September 14, 2015

very well written

Plenty of detail for fantasy lovers! Overall good book but i would recommend being older to read this book as there is violence and big words
Kid, 9 years old May 14, 2011

Motivating but never cheesy!

The book navigated me through its maze of pages, through twists and turns. Thank you Cornelia Funke for bringing this into our lives. I recommend this book 100%!!!
Kid, 9 years old December 27, 2010

One of my favorite books!

This is truly an amazing book I love to read over and over again!
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

10+

There are only about 3 cusres.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybr228127 October 1, 2015

my book review

today im going to give you a book review for ink heart.Im going to give you the hypothesis and the theory. the hypothesis is that meggie is going to have to save dust fnger and his daughter.they are now caught in a castle.Before the were caught at meggies house. the theory is that night mare is guarding there cell . dust fingers and his daughter were stuck in a cell.they would scare night mare off with fire.when they would try to get out , night mare would block them off most of the people would be afraid of night mare form the things he has done. in my opinion i would be scared of him too, even the name is pretty scary. thats my review for ink spell, in my opinion i like the book it was good and full with suspends and it was intense
Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2015

Best Author

This book is great and so is the whole series. I first read it when I was 9. It follows the story of Meggie and her father, Mo (aka silver tongue), while the past catches up with them. She finds out what really happened to her mom and why Mo never read aloud to her. This books does include violence and threats, but most kids should be fine with that around ages 7 +. One thing to know is that there are a couple swear words here, but it's not a book that has one every page, more like 2 - 6 in the whole book. If you are interested in this book, other books by this author like The Thief Lord, Dragon Rider, and several others may interest you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMunchkinP February 19, 2015

Didn't like it.

This was a pretty bad book. The main character isn't likable and quite rude, the plot interesting but not well executed; overall, not worth your time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byblackbeltgirl December 19, 2013

LOVE this book!

Guess who has a new favorite book? :D I absolutely LOVED this book. I loved the quotes at the beginning of each chapter, especially when I recognized one. The overall plot was very exciting and the constant action kept me from getting bored. Nothing of the violence that I can remember was actually described. There were enough threats and references to make me understand the characters' fright though. Elinor says a few words in a couple different places in the book, but nothing too bad. All I can remember were d**n and h*ll. Overall, the book was fun and action-packed. And if you enjoy good books, you'll love this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byso_alsaeed December 16, 2012

BORING

i simply hated it... i ordered all three books from my schools scholastic and they were a huge dissapointment. i love reading i mean i read percy jackson and harry potter in no time at all but ive had the inkheart trilogy for over a YEAR and i still havent gotten past page 30-something.... overall i hated it....
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

very good

i think that this is a little violent but nothing ib this is bad. the book is rich with adventure and postive things (in most parts) but i really liked it.
Adult Written byDREYERWA April 9, 2008

Cornelia Funke the new JK Rowlings!

A mythical wonder! Unforgettable characters. If you can read then this should be at the top of your "must read list". Young & Old will be hooked. This book became my 10 yr old daughter favorite book that was until Cornelia came out with the sequel "Inkspell".