All member reviews for Inkheart

Lengthy but rich fantasy great for book-loving tweens.

Teen, 15 years old Written bypurplecatroo April 9, 2008

I hated it.

Great Author terribly boring book. It was waay to violent and evil. Spooky as well for anyone under 11. A big big big disapointment.
Kid, 9 years old March 30, 2009

BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN

The begining of the book is murky and doesn't really make sense but keep reading! It is an amazing book about mo a.k.a. silver tounge and he transports a boy named Farrid to their world ( IN THE BOOK !!!) I have read all 3 books and they leave me breathtaken! I just keep wanting more and more of that kind of writting. The downs about it are that there is alot of cursing, killing ( knives, rifles, and so on..... ) I still highly recomend it!
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

great book but...

first of all i'll say that i loved the book!! a really great story and everything and im glad i bought it! but one thing that i didnt like was all the swearing. in my family we never swear so whenever i came across a sw it would always kinda jolt me out of the story and it got anoying...swearwords take the innocence out of reading...other than that the story was great! i liked the book a lot, but i liked the sequel way better as it was more exciting and way less swear words! u mite wanna go thru the book b4 u read it to ur kid. all in all a great story tho!
Kid, 9 years old December 27, 2010

One of my favorite books!

This is truly an amazing book I love to read over and over again!
Kid, 9 years old May 14, 2011

Motivating but never cheesy!

The book navigated me through its maze of pages, through twists and turns. Thank you Cornelia Funke for bringing this into our lives. I recommend this book 100%!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarasnake99 January 3, 2011

Great book!

I personally LOVED this book. It is a great book for fantasy lovers.
Kid, 11 years old December 2, 2010

Really awesome book!

Really loved this book from the moment I picked it up. Very exciting and suspenseful. Only a few cuss words. I hope everyone loves it as much as I do!
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

10+

There are only about 3 cusres.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMunchkinP February 19, 2015

Didn't like it

Teen, 13 years old Written bybaconpizzalover8 January 5, 2015

I think this book is a wonderful fantasy adventure including magic and books coming to life. This brightened my imagination and has made me love books even more.
Teen, 13 years old Written byblackbeltgirl December 19, 2013

LOVE this book!

Guess who has a new favorite book? :D I absolutely LOVED this book. I loved the quotes at the beginning of each chapter, especially when I recognized one. The overall plot was very exciting and the constant action kept me from getting bored. Nothing of the violence that I can remember was actually described. There were enough threats and references to make me understand the characters' fright though. Elinor says a few words in a couple different places in the book, but nothing too bad. All I can remember were d**n and h*ll. Overall, the book was fun and action-packed. And if you enjoy good books, you'll love this one.
Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

good

This is a good book. But it is a lot more detailed then the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byso_alsaeed December 16, 2012

BORING

i simply hated it... i ordered all three books from my schools scholastic and they were a huge dissapointment. i love reading i mean i read percy jackson and harry potter in no time at all but ive had the inkheart trilogy for over a YEAR and i still havent gotten past page 30-something.... overall i hated it....
Teen, 15 years old Written byinfjsinger July 11, 2012

Just A Amazing Book!

I really enjoyed this book. I read the whole trilogy and its like Cornelia Funke is like the German J.K Rowling. I didn't know where it took place in like the others, but J guess I can imagine their location! It might be a little too thick for the little ones and maybe too violent but it's a great book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl May 21, 2012

Well written faerie tale for older children

This is a fantastic story based on a brain-bending concept. All of the characters are complex and the plot is fascinating. It would scare younger children who don't understand the difference between fantasy and reality, but it's a brilliant tale for older children. The writing is also fantastic! (at last!) Books with stylized writing, interesting dialogue, deep characters and complex plot are becoming harder to find, especially for kids. If you have a son or daughter who enjoys percy jackson or artemis fowl, have them read this instead. The writing is head and shoulders above. I love the book and would give it five stars, but the sequel was much less loved (by me) and I found that to be a bit dissapointing. Also, the movie is fantastic.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyesthisisme April 8, 2012

Dont do it...

Really dumb.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2012

Not my favourite,for sure.

I hated the book. Unfourtunatly I do not like emotional books where the author forces the characters feelings on you. Almost as if you were being smothered by what they think until you completely forget the story itself. Certainly not a fan.
Parent Written bytreat02 February 17, 2012

very good

i think that this is a little violent but nothing ib this is bad. the book is rich with adventure and postive things (in most parts) but i really liked it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater October 13, 2011

wonderful, kid-friendly fantasy that celebrates reading is a winner!

Inkheart is original and satisfying. The length may be a little discouriging to kids, but will be rewarded for reaching the 500 plus page ending that is wonderful. Not only is the end great, the trip to get there is just as original and fun. The book is written masterfully and is one of my top all favorite children's book. The story tells of a man who has the gift to read anything or anyone out of a fantasy. And one night he reads out one of the most horrific villian on earth Capricorn. 12 years later, the memory of this terrible chapter in his life, will come flooding back, not only terriizing him, but his wonderful child Maggie. The story is fresh and filled with twists you won't see coming and will gasp in surprise with the characters, and moan in pain when one is hurt. The characters are realistic and in one beautiful three paged chapter will get to know one a little bit too well. The magic is exciting and every page screams a book lover's cove. The book is stunning, but is also disturbing. The violence is presence, but it doesn't take from the story. Guns are shot off and used repetitivly sometimes so much its annoying. The bad guys are mean and cruel and almost win in the end. Kidnappings happen and knives are used. Some guards of Capricorn shoot at servant's skirt to see a little bit of un-menchables. The banter between Mo and Maggie is realistic and sweet, the perfect relationship. Characters say the d word and one character says suck. I can't wait to read the sequel, and any other magical tales erupting from this german author's head.
Kid, 11 years old July 15, 2011