All member reviews for Island of the Blue Dolphins

Smart girl learns to survive alone in compelling adventure.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Amazing and beautiful

This novel teaches girls that they can do things as good as any boy if they just put their mind to it. Beautifully written and one of my favourites!
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2011

perfect for 10 and up

love it because I am 12 years old and at first I thought it was going to be boring but it isn't it is like a action movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byme love you December 12, 2010

perfect for anyone to read..

i like the book i think that it is ok but not the best....hope u like it when u read it...........
Educator and Parent Written byjonosdad October 8, 2013

Powerful Role Model

I have used this book in my classroom for years as a fantastic voyage into the human spirit. Karana, a young girl left on her own, must challenge herself and the beliefs of her tribe. She survives for 18 years through mental discipline, resourcefulness, and a desire to live.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byKidDad April 22, 2010

Still a classic

Gentle story of survival. Very well written and dramatic, if understated, action. My 9-year old son loved it--which surprised me. Thought provoking and timeless.
Kid, 11 years old December 11, 2009

Off 7- Iffy 8-9 On 10+

I'm reading this book in reading class. I really like it, though it's sorta sad.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byTizzie October 15, 2009

Wait a Bit on This One

Started to read it with my eight-year-old and it proved too much for her. The separation from her family and the death of her father and brother made her too emotional for us to continue. I'll save it for when she's older because I think the message of a girl developing survival skills and examining the values of her culture can lead to a really positive discussion.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydenyza almayda March 3, 2011

Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2011

A Great Page-Turner!

When you look at the cover of Island of the Blue Dolphins you think, this is definitely not going to be that good of a book. But when you start getting farther and farther, it's a page-turner! The main story of the book is survival. When getting further into that topic, there is some sad things that happen. For example, the father gets killed by the otter-hunters, and the brother is killed by dogs (he is surrounded by the dogs dead). I think that it would be a great read-aloud book to read to your children or the children read the book to the parent. Can be scary at times but it's really good!
Kid, 9 years old October 23, 2013

Island of the Blue Dolphins+Review=Awesome!

I think this book is wonderful,it shows a great women role model,how to stay strong in sad or and difficult situation.
Kid, 12 years old June 2, 2014

Really Great

It was a great book but everyone in my class didn't finish it and my friend and I were the only one's who finished. Only good readers should read this book. (Most likely because it is kind of slow.) I read it in 5th and loved it.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2011

The island of Karana

This book would be good for young girl because there's a female who has a strong character
Kid, 9 years old November 6, 2011

island

it is the best book ever and its a historical book
Parent Written byerhehre123 August 29, 2011

Luv it

i love this book.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

vilont but great!

i read this with my 5th grade class and it was SAD. there was a lot of fighting and killing and lots of deaths of main charecters. Young kids will find themselves confused and scared but older kid might find it to be a very good book. Most of the kids in my class didnt like it because they thought it was to sad but it hought it was pretty good.
Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2009

Fantastic book

I had to read this book for school, and I'm glad I did. It's a touching tale of people who live on an island. It's not so good at first, but gets a LOT better!

A great book!!!

I think this book is a 4th grade level book. You will probly have to read it in 4th grade. it's kind of sad,kind of.........................................scary, i mean, adventurest.
Adult Written bystacy70 April 9, 2008

I loved it!!

My 4th grade teacher read this book to the class and I fell in love. This book opened my eyes and heart to reading. I have read this book several times. I keep a copy of it so I can keep reading it. Island of the Blue Dolphins is my all time favorite book!!!

I cried

Alot of people died and it was a great book i loved it everyone should read this book!!!