All member reviews for James and the Giant Peach

Lonely boy's magical adventure still satisfies.

Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Not the best examples for kids

I started reading this to my boys, ages 6 and 8, and I was disappointed right off the bat. The poor little boy lives with his abusive aunts - my kids were bothered that someone could be so mean to a child and I couldn't really explain that, because of course there is no explanation for abuse. Then he meets the mysterious little man who offers him a "magic" bag of that will make his life so much better, and then he makes James promise not to tell his aunts about it. Seriously? These are all things we teach our kids NOT to do....don't talk to strangers, don't EVER take things from strangers, and don't keep secrets from your parents. I suppose the story must have improved after that but I wasn't interested in finding out. I don't think this is appropriate for kids, especially these days.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byM382 December 28, 2011

A classic.

I remember reading this at age 8. It has always been one of my favorite children's books. It is a charming and fanciful story about one boy’s brave journey, as well as a motivational tale about the boy James’ escape from an abusive situation. It is a literary classic. I have just ordered it on Amazon for my own 8-year-old boy. I read the prior review and feel compelled to respond. As a parent, your job description is to TEACH - NOT to overly shelter. R-rated and some PG-movies are off-limits; understood; but this book is entirely appropriate reading material for age 7 and above. The parts of this book which bother you are - to me - wonderful openers for discussion. Part of my job as a parent is IMO to explain the world we all live in so that my future 40-year-olds are well-equipped with information. CPS exists in every city, after all. Explanations for Spiker and Sponge’s abuse might include that they have been abused themselves as children, or that they were never taught to be grateful for what they have, and thereby have grown overly selfish and unable to care for anyone but themselves. You might explain that such people (the latter) at their core tend to be unhappy and unfulfilled; as adults we have all encountered someone similar. (And also that such people (the former) can, if loved well by those in their lives, change course and become loving persons themselves.)
Adult Written bystarl March 25, 2012

eh :)

i fink it is a good book at very high standers thankq xx
Kid, 10 years old March 10, 2013

A Great Book,A Classic!

I Checked James and the Giant Peach Out From My School's Library.When I Started Reading It,I Loved It!It's About A Boy Named James and He Lives with 2 Mean Aunts,Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker.Then,One Day,A Old Man Gives Him A Bag Of Crocodile Tongues.The Man Says That The Crocodile Tongues Will Never Have James Miserable Again(Because He's Treated Badly By His Aunts And He Feels Miserable.) But,James Drops The Tounges By A Tree (On Accident) .Then,The Tree Starts Growing A Peach!The Peach Grows So Big,And Soon,James Goes into the Peach.What He Finds Is Group of Animals Waiting For Him!The Rest Of The Book Is How The Crew Begins To Fly,And The Adventures They Have. The Peach Ends Up In New York.The Content Is Pretty Clean,Except For Name Calling,And I Think The Centipede Says Some Bad Words,Like The A word,But As The Term For A Donkey.Either Way,This Book Is Great,And It's REALLY Good.Do Yourself A Favor And Check Out James And The Giant Peach ,Today.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic June 4, 2012

Decent Roald Dahl adventurous book

BOOK INFO: A book that satisfies most readers. However, Roald Dahl could have done better by making the plot more interesting. Simple storyline and vocabulary, suitable for young kids. VIOLENCE: Low. LANGUAGE: None. SEX: None.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd January 14, 2014

Lovable Children's Book :)

I absolutely LOVE this book despite my age. I actually read it when I was 13 just 'cause and ended up adoring it. The originality and randomness of Roald Dahl's writing is fantastic and very admirable. I'd say great for almost all ages, but best for 7-10.
Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2012

james and the giant peach reaview

it is amazing
Kid, 10 years old June 11, 2012

james and the giant peach

Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2012

Just Another GREAT Classic...

Wicked! A great Roald Dahl Book :D