All member reviews for Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key

Sympathetic, realistic portrait of boy with ADHD.

Go Joe !

This Book is so good! I love it!

pretty good book for anyone
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysinless1 July 24, 2009

Read this book WITH your kids, and discuss!

I loved this book. Great material for discussing behavior, consequences, and attitude with young people. I would not let my kids read it without discussion, This book doesn't offer moral judgments about pharmaceuticals, ADHD, personal responsibility, chemical imbalances, etc. It just paints a powerful picture, from a kid's perspective, of what a kid feels. The cruelty from other kids, the low self worth, coping with caregivers who may have their own shortcomings, etc. I believe pharmaceuticals (psychotropic drugs) are WAY over-prescribed, and that the whole psychiatric establishment is prone to corruption by big pharma, and values treatment over recovery. Nevertheless, this book tends to portray the industry in a positive light, and reminds me that for all its shortcomings many people are truly helped. Great fodder for getting kids to think about consequences, other people's feelings, judging others, making a difference in the world, and coping with life's challenges. I recommend - but only if you read it, too, and discuss.
Kid, 9 years old April 4, 2011

Joey pigza swallowed the key is an excellent book very funny good for kids 9 and up but the grandma does smoke quite a bit and is very mean to joey.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2009

i think it good for kid to read because i teaches them education by warning them of what not to do,such as running with scissors.
Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2009

Joey Pigza swallowed a key

I laughed by head off

I love how joey is so innonent and means well I thought that he was so crazy when he did the spin thing I started laughing!!
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2010

ok for school book report... kind of boring though

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookluver101 April 9, 2008

its OK

its funny and a good book 4 most kids 8-10
Adult Written byvraikens April 9, 2008

Great Book for 9th Graders

A lot of kids I know really enjoy reading this book because the protagonist is someone who feels the same way they do...They are so used to people getting fed up with them and saying things like, "why can't you just sit still for a while?" Here is a protagonist who has to hold on to his chair until his knuckles turn white or he may just explode out of his chair and hit the ceiling. A believable story of a young man who consistantly tries to do the "right thing" though the right thing, just like in real life, doesn't always go as planned.

A hilarious book for everyone!

I think Joey Pigza swallowed the key is a great book! FUNNY,FUNNY BOOK! It got my whole class laughing!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykidfresh December 8, 2008

Nice

i just started to read the book and it's all right for now

Joey Pigza Swallowed th key

this book was very interesting my child liked it alot it was grusom at times and i only recall one bad word!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byGraceGurl14 September 17, 2011

teaching lessons

it teches you lessons like always stay in a group when you go on field trips and never run with scissors
Teen, 13 years old Written byRosebud381220 October 15, 2009

Kid, 11 years old November 2, 2009

Great book for ages 11 and up because you can really get a sense from the main character of what it's like to be growing up with ADHD. There is a lot of drinking that his mom and grandma do and there are some disturbing parts with his mom and grandma.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2011

joey-tastic

it's is really good the ay it says about what kids with ADHD do to harm peiople and it's is funny and very moving
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda June 26, 2009
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2011

IT'S GREAT, IT'S AWESOME, IT'S JOEY-TASTIC!

This is a great book! It's very funny. Also very interesting. But Joey's grandma does smoke. Also his mom drinks a little bit. But it is still a AWESOME book!!!!!!